Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

swimming pool route

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by PicknGrin86, Nov 2, 2011.

1. vgp001

vgp001 Strat-O-Master

Mar 31, 2012
    It's all in how you spin it.

It helps if you get some famous dude or dudette to corroborate your claims too.

2. DerrickP

DerrickP Banned

Mar 17, 2009
    Canada
    I have a swimming pool routed guitar and it's my fav,.. either you have a good sounding resonant body or you dont, be it a swimming pool or hsh or sss or ssh etc.... I find the swimming pool to be more versatile for different pickup combinations though.

3. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

Nov 29, 2011
    Aurora IL
    If anyone thinks that a few square inches of wood make all the difference, I will gladly send you to this guy:

www.pickuprings.com - Home

He will be more than happy for you to part with your money.

4. DerrickP

DerrickP Banned

Mar 17, 2009
    Canada
    This guy is replacing plastic pickup rings with wood ones like that is going to make a diff in sound on a les paul aside from looks!! .... I fail to see the relavance here, like I said either you have a good resonant body or it's dead wood.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

5. DerrickP

DerrickP Banned

Mar 17, 2009
    Canada
    Totally agree with that.

6. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2009
    UK
    I only know the difference between swimming pool and olympic sized swimming pool :D :D :D

JV STRATOCASTER Squire 62 Re-issue | eBay

Attached Files:

7. DerrickP

DerrickP Banned

Mar 17, 2009
    Canada

8. Stratty

Stratty Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2009
    Prattville, Alabama
    I have a pool route in one of my partscasters.

But the pickups are good.

So it sounds good .

The End.

9. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

Once you have a big swimming pool route on one side, and the trem cavity on the other, you mostly have a big hole right through your guitar with a thin partition between. It doesn't appeal to me as a good piece of engineering!

10. PicknGrin86

PicknGrin86 Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2011
    Greenville NC
    I agree. However a chamber's ceiling is wood not a pickguard. Just wanted to point that out. I loooove my plus. Just saw that I started this thread quite some time ago.

11. otstratman

otstratman Strat-Talk Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, I know a Luthier who will create a SSS insert out of Alder. He then will strip the finish from the contact points, use wood glue to attach, sand to perfection, and then flash coat the new SSS cavity. That's a really great idea for anyone who has a great Strat but just can't deal with the swimming pool route.

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    While I personally don't think the bathtub route will necessarily make a Strat sound either good or bad, I really hate how it looks and wouldn't want one myself, even if I can't see it with the pickguard on.

I think it reflects Fender's cost cutting measures back in the 90s and this cheapens their image, for me anyway...

'

13. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

It is all opinion...Imo i would not buy a Strat unless it is routed s/s/s like all the pre CBS Strats...

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    This reminded me of an article about Eddie Van Halen's Ibenez Destroyer that he hacked after recording their debut album:

IMG_9965.JPG

He claims it lost all the resonance in the bridge pickup and it never sounded the same after that!

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I wouldn't tempt fate by hacking up my favorite guitars like that I suppose...

'

Last edited: May 19, 2017

15. Spiffums

Spiffums Strat-Talk Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    I don't remember if it's a Gibson or a Eippy but there is an x-ray of a LesPaul showing the weight relief and there is a ton of routed out places in the wood.