Join Strat-Talk Today

SX guitars, worth more used!

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by jeremy blaze, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jeremy blaze

jeremy blaze Senior Stratmaster

I keep coming across SX guitars, used, for sale for more than they are new! I know this happens alot, but these SX 'vintage' series seem to be very common on ebay, and music stores, that you would think would know what they cost. New I can get most of them from Rondo for $100-130, yet, used I keep finding them for $150-200.

Wonder why, these guys are pricing them so high? Is it saying something for the quality of these 'cheap' guitars?

2. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

You are paying for an extra step of quality control. It didn't end up in the trash can of the owner.

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

it could be that the price increase reflects upgrades done by the owners. pickups, hardware, etc. i'm impressed with SX guitars. i have two, a tele, and a LP Jr type. both are excellent guitars,, neither one needed anything other than a setup.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've seen you post about and vouch for these guitars many times - I'm curious which model you have? They seem too good to be true at that price, but I believe you if you say it's so.....

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

where does one find one of these "SX Guitars?"

6. TSims1

7. jeremy blaze

Rondomusic.net

I have seen some upgraded ones priced higher, but the ones I'm refering to are stock or appear to be.

Btw, j couldn't be more impressed with my eg6 which is their 335. Musicians much better than me love it too!

8. nickmsmith

holy frejoles! those are some cheap guitars.

9. nickmsmith

how do their strats stack up? I like the natural finish one. Would normal Fender/squier necks fit on the bodies?

How do these stack up vs.Xavieres?

10. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

my first was the STL62, a rosewood board tele. it needed refinished, just because the BSB was actually baby sh** yellow.
    the second is a SX callisto,a LP Jr. clone, 2 P90s in a solid mahogany guitar. again, just a set up. i did throw away the speed knobs and put on a set of chrome tele knobs.
    for $114.00 delivered, the tele is flat out amazing. i don't know if i just got real lucky with the two SX guitars and the one Douglas i bought, but having read so many negative posts from owners claiming they're all cheap junk, i'm mystified. the tele flat out kicks butt, and the Jr. could very easily become my favorite guitar. i plan to get another one, and put mini hums in it.
    aside from having to clean up the string slots in the tele's nut to remove burrs, neither guitar needed anything to make it playable. the pots are the small size, but they work, they're smooth, the wire could be heavier, but again, everything works, every time.

11. TSims1

Awesome - I love hearing things like that.

12. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Strat-Talker

I have a Douglas Spad, a Douglas Scope, and an Agile AL3100 Wide. Aside from some wiring and fret levelling issues on the Spad, I have been impressed with these guitars. The Korean factory that makes the Agiles used to make Epiphones, and I am pretty sure they've made others as well (Hamer and the Korean Schecters, but don't quote me on that).

I have been thinking about a bunch of different Strat-based projects for a while, and I am thinking about buying one of the SX models because I can't buy a body and neck that cheap even with shipping to Canada taken into account.

13. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

I have been thinking about a bunch of different Strat-based projects for a while, and I am thinking about buying one of the SX models because I can't buy a body and neck that cheap even with shipping to Canada taken into account.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I have used cheap guitars as a basis for two partscasters. One was a Jay Turser & one was an SX.

In both cases I replaced the necks, pickups & electronics. I used the bodies (which were regulation size & thickness & well finished) as well as the Tuners, bridge assembly & all hardware. I blocked the Trems.

I've had both guitars for several years & they get played & gigged with a lot, while my Fender AM STD stays at home most gigs.

14. Stark

Stark Nobody.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I finally had the chance to really wring out an SX Isis - set neck,vibrato, 24 frets, Stratocaster scale length. I enjoyed it so much, I didn't want to give it back but I had to, so yesterday, I ordered an Isis CUS 22 TBS (trans blue) set neck/stop-tail bridge. I know it's a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing, and the pups will be swapped out, but at $273.29 incl. case and std. ground UPS shipping, I could not resist. Supposed to be here on or before 08/30/12.

Pics to follow, of course.

[​IMG]

15. nickmsmith

16. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

i've often wished those were available with a TOM bridge & stoptail.

17. Stark

Stark Nobody.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Do you guys like the 22 fret neck with 25.5" scale?

18. jeremy blaze

I have a mexi strat, a custom built Tele, and an sx eg6 335 copy. Everyone thinks the sx is the most expensive/ fanciest guitar ofthe buch.
    I've been playing it more lately and am starting to really like the short scale.

19. nickmsmith

[​IMG]

might have to order me one o' deez.

Similar enough to a strat to be familiar, but still...different.

20. ZackiHendrix

ZackiHendrix Strat-Talker

I've wanted a guitar off rondo for a while but the shipping to canada just kills the whole thing for me. A 150$ guitar suddenly becomes a 300$ one and if I'm gonna pay 300 I'll just get a squier vm or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.