Tactile feel of Strings

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Mega-Gazz, Oct 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. coolrene

coolrene Strat-Talk Member

Indeed...! :D There is no such thing as "THE BEST", should it be strings, guitars, amps and what have you: secret is to find the most adapted to one's needs...;)

rake6978 and dirocyn like this.
  2. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Hello Bob,
    Interesting comments about flatwounds. I have a similar experience. I tried the GHS rock and roll flatwounds that are 9-42. These are about the lightest gauge you can find. The tremolo works great on my Strat, but as you say, pull offs and bends are certainly more difficult. I replaced these strings fairly quickly because they really robbed the highs. They had more of a jazz sound, so I put them on my ES-335. They play great, and are very easy on the fingers, no slide noise, that sort of thing, but I didn't like the dullness of the sound. Strings are perhaps the most personal item a guitarist can talk about. What works for one musician will not for another. I've settled on D'Addario 9.5-44 strings for my Strats and Teles. They play and sound great. They are slightly heavier than the standard fender 9-42, but lighter than the 10-46. For me, they really have been perfect. Older players with arthritis or tendenitis do better with the lightest gauges and a short scale neck.

3. ReedRainey

ReedRainey Strat-Talk Member

Flatwounds are just fine for jazz. Not good for rock music when you want to get the distortion going, though. I LOVE the flatwound FEEL; just hate the result for rock and metal. So I don't buy them, anymore.

4. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

Forever I played Dean Markley Blue Steel Custom Lights (because that's what Alex Lifeson used, and I was a bonkers fan--that's why I *started* using them, I kept using them because I really liked 'em), but they've become incredibly difficult to get here, so I've recently switched to D'adds, also 9-46. Slight difference to me. Not negative or positive, just felt a little different. I had some Rotosound 10's on my guitar for a while but we didn't become friends, I like my thin strings thinner than 10s. I might try the 9-46 set they have to see how I like 'em.

5. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

EB 9-42 cause back in the day, you could get them anywhere like Sam Goody or Tower Records (remember those?)

Now I like them because of the way they feel on both short and long scale guitars

6. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talker

Pure metals make a difference in tone. The wrap "tightness" makes a difference in sustain and durability. And the Stringjoy people have videos that explore balanced weight and which guages work best for your instrument. Neck length and string tension morphed into actual playing bends...and why it's easier to bend up 4 frets with a certain "feel" relates as a direct reflection of strings "construction". Stringjoy strings feel better and last longer...made by guitar players in Nashville.

Attached Files:

7. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

You might need a new Vendor profile.

8. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

Ernie Ball strings just aren’t all long enough to fit a Gretsch Country Gent.

Does anyone know the best knot to use to extend the string by tying on a bit of the old string so it is long enough?

I’ve solved the problem of the high E Ernie Ball strings unravelling at the Ball end by winding round some cotton thread and applying a little super glue.

Just need to get this extension knot thing sorted out and I’ll be ready to go!!!

9. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talker

LOL...I'm not a vendor, I just really like Stringjoy strings

kurher likes this.
  10. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

Nothing beats a happy camper.

dudafun likes this.