Join Strat-Talk Today

taking off the trem back plate for more tone...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gcconspiracy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

okay, so I was recently reading in another post that this was a quick way to get some better tone... anyone subscribe to this, or is it a load of dung?

2. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

I just tried it on and off on my Clapton Custom Shop and suprisingly there is a noticeable difference, there's more highs and it's clearer when off, but when back on I hear more bottom, I'm very suprised as the bridge on this is blocked and so I'm guessing it's less likely to be down to the springs. I'm guessing it's a chalk and cheese situation, single ply plastic screwed on to custom shop high quality select alder with vintage noiseless pickups.

I'm gonna get a small, very thin piece of velcrove tape to hold the 9v battery for the active circuits in and keep the rear plate off. :)

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

personally, I think it's a 'load of dung', but if it makes people feel that it does make a difference, then great.

We only took off the backplates in the 60's to make string changing easier. The slots on the back plate, back then, didn't match the holes in the trem.

4. ba614

ba614 Strat-Talk Member

I'm not so sure it's a "load of dung" but I think only the guy's that can hear the tone difference in a nitro finished guitar as opposed to a poly finished guitar can tell :D

5. johnreardon

I have three Nitro finished Strats and can't hear any difference.

It may be my old ears, but probably is just my cynicism. If Mr Eric Johnson and others think that taking backplates off and using particular makes of lead and batteries make their sound better, then good for them. Personally, I think life is too short to worry about it and just get on with playing to the best of my meagre abilities. Not a soul in any audience is going t notice a difference :D

6. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

Here, Here!! I don't know one way or the other but I do agree with you John that no one but you will know the difference. I leave mine off for making changing strings easier.

7. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Dampen the spring to prevent them from vibrating. Then see if there's a tonal difference.

8. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

interesting feedback... I've decided to leave mine on since I really favor the look over the big gaping hole in the back (although I know that all the legends kept the it off).

9. ba614

ba614 Strat-Talk Member

Hey John I was agreeing with you .... I can't hear the difference ... I was only making a joke:p

10. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Like what, stuffing a sock in it? lol

11. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

xD :D

12. bobodhi

bobodhi Strat-Talk Member

Good God, it all gets a bit serious doesn't it... :rolleyes:
    OK, my two cents... :D
    The amazing jazz sax player Stan Getz apparently spent his whole life searching for the perfect tone.. and never found it believe it or not...
    on the other hand.. listen to the sound and tone quality of some of the early blues recordings and tell me tone matters.. :p
    Ok.. just my opinion folks, whatever rocks your boat is cool by me.. play on ;)

13. johnreardon

See, I can't even tell when someone is agreeing with me let alone notice minute differences in sound :D

14. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

I'm in the Load of Dng camp. By the time the amp is turned up and the mic is set, anybody who thinks they can tell the difference mst have way better ears than me. This whole deal about how it sounds unplugged is totally irrelevant anyway. You don't play it that way so why does it matter. What matters is how it sounds when you use it live.

15. TIMB

TIMB Strat-Talker

+ 1

16. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I think the point of the "mod" is to make your guitar more resonant. It does make sense that improving the primary tone would make for a better amplification of said primary tone. On that note though, I heard no difference in removing the cover. I'll come up with something that DOES work soon though, following that principle.

17. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

Maybe a rear plate made of alder wood would be a good idea ??

18. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

I don't see how a piece of plastic that probably weighs an ounce or two is going to affect the resonance of a piece of wood which weighs about 6-7lbs. I think the same argument applies to different finish types as well.

19. nars1l

nars1l Strat-Talker

I think relative weights don't matter. If you're screwing a piece of plastic, which I don't think is too prone to resonate, onto a piece of carefully selected wood, any vibrations that the wood is experiencing are going to be dampened by the plastic. I think that's unquestionable.

However, whether it makes a difference in actual sound or not is the real question.. but if it makes the player feel better about his sound, that confidence should travel through to the audience. Right?

As silly as it may sound, I know that I feel better playing with the back plate off of my cheap strat copy...

20. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

As long as you finish it with Nitro!! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.