Talc for preserving guitar circuits (Eric Clapton Strat)?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brmusician, Apr 12, 2021.

1. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Hi,

Just got an Eric Clapton Artist Series from a collector from what I know. That is, the previous owner bought guitars and preserved them intact without playing. However, when I was setting up the guitar, I found a kind of white powder inside (I know what you're thinking) that I presume to be talc for preserving components from corrosion. In fact, the springs in the bridge look like brand new after 10 years. Also, the components behind the pickguard look perfect.

However, we know that dust affects potentiometers, and if the talc has some conductive material, it can lead to malfunction of the Clapton strat's preamp. In fact, the mid-boost pot seems a little bit unstable... I have to play with it a bit until it gets properly adjusted, otherwise the guitar becomes quiet.

My question is: what do you think? Should I remove the talc? Are these potentiometers easily replaceable? Thanks in advance.

2. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Not sure about the talc myself, but maybe get some contact cleaner and spray the heck outta it? That's what I'd do. And if you aren't thinking of playing it maybe remove the 9v battery so it doesn't end up leaking.

3. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Thanks for the answer. I'll probably play a lot... next thing to do is cleaning that talc.

4. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Can you post a picture? It's pretty common for there to be a light deposit of a powdery substance in the cavities from the buffing process. I feel like that might be what you're seeing - I've never heard of anyone putting talc inside a guitar to preserve the circuitry.

5. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Perhaps it can be some powdery substance from the manufacturing process, although I've never seen something like this... I'll post a picture later. It's white like talc, but it looks like it won't spread if I air blow inside, but it detaches if I touch the powdery surface.

6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I think it's polishing compound or something similar, used in the manufacturing process as already mentioned. A couple of my guitars had the same stuff in the cavities when I got them and I'm almost certain they'd never been opened up before.

7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

upload_2021-4-12_13-19-33.png

:D "case candy"..... perhaps?

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

9. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Based on that description, I’m 99% certain it’s buffing/polishing compound. That’s exactly how it behaves.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

99.99%

11. Jimi Beckton

Jimi Beckton Strat-Talker

His strat needs a 9v battery?

12. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Jimi Beckton

The Clapton Sig. Strats need 9 v battery for the active midboost.

Willmunny and CB91710 like this.
  13. Jimi Beckton

I talked to a guy at the shop. Since I found 2 lace gold sensors in a box, I thought about making a Clapton clone. He said Fender doesn't sell the mid-boost. Is there a copy out there?

14. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...ps/stratocaster-mid-boost-kit/0057577000.html
    Currently out of stock, but still an active inventory part.

Keep in mind that this is going to require that the body be routed for the board and battery.

The original EC models store the battery in a cutout next to the tremolo springs, but you could also route the back for a battery box and not need a screwdriver to change it.

shdfyb8ue4xpoax1izoo.jpg
    xn99nldb4bmmy71zvrkq.jpg

vid1900 likes this.
  15. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

For the pot, it's probably just suffering from in activity. Many will clean up just by a little use i.e. move it back and forth through the range 100 times.

16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

probably polishing compound, unless there is a rolled up $100 bill in the case s well;)

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  17. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

They certainly do sell them separately: I've now bought 4 of them, the most recent one today. The Fender part number is 005-7577-000

I just paid £56 for mine, which is about $77 at current conversion rates, but I guess you'll get it cheaper in the USA anyway. Comes with a PCB, the three pots needed (including a TBX pot and capacitors), spare tone knob (pure white plastic) and a coloured circuit diagram.

I've fitted one to my JV Squier Strat, with Bareknuckle Apache pickups, another in a Telecaster with Oil City pickups and my Jaguar with '65 Pure Vintage pickups. Non of these are noiseless types, but with careful screening and neat wiring/earthing I don't have any more noise than I would if I was using a battery powered boost pedal on a normal Strat/Tele/Jaguar.

My 4th kit is going in my '62 style Strat partscaster project (with '65 PV pickups in it).

I find the mid boost works well to fatten up the single coil sound for a more humbucker like tone. Or just dial it back to get the standard tone. The active circuit seems to give a little bit of overall gain, so I tend to run my Strat at '8' but since the volume is part of the active circuit then it doesn't roll off the treble doing this, plus less need for a pedal(s) with a buffer since it's built into the guitar. The battery lasts ages too though I recharge mine every 2-3 string changes to be on the safe side: I put a bypass in my Jaguar since they have spare switches. :)

For the OP: I agree about the compound suggestions. A damp microfibre cloth should help remove it from any surfaces, plus something like Deoxit D5 spray inside the pots to clean and lubricate them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-Deoxi...0253&keywords=deoxit+d5&qid=1618261777&sr=8-2

Picture of my Jaguar mid build with the PCB under the lower hexagonal plate:
    Mid 4.jpg

CB91710 and brmusician like this.
  18. Jimi Beckton

Good grief, digging in routes.
    I looked at the EC pre-wired pick guard. for $300. So many options.

19. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

I took a picture from the bridge cavity, but behind the pickguard the powdery substance shows the same pattern. I've removed the piece of wood which locks the bridge and a couple of springs.
    [​IMG]

20. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

That looks like polishing compound
    It won't damage anything, but you could probably get most of it out with a damp rag

brmusician likes this.