Talk to me about Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by aepoc, Jun 14, 2021.

1. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

So as some of you know, I have a 2021 Fender Custom Shop Strat that came with hand-wound Texas Special pickups. They seem a bit on the shrill side, and I don't think I'm too happy with them. I've been thinking of swapping them out with some Custom Shop Fat 50s, and would love to hear your take on them.

2. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

I had them in a Dave's Guitar Shop 62' Stratocaster and I did not care for them at all... I prefer the Fender Custom Shop 60's and 69' handwound pickups. They cost a little more , But they are worth it.
    I had the 60's in a Fender Custom Shop strat and they were great. I then traded that for a 69' Fender Custom Shop strat w/69' handwound p/u's and they are phenomenal too. There is a difference between Fender Custom Shop handwound and regular Fender Custom Shop pickups... They sound so good with distortion and clean up very well with the volume knob...
    JMHO...
    BTW.. Hi fellow Wisconite... I'm in the Lake Geneva area

aepoc likes this.
  3. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the input! I have heard of the difference between the CS Hand Wound vs Regular Custom Shops, but I have not been able to A/B any at all. To my ears right now, the hand wound Texas Specials are really piercing. Maybe that has to do with my recent switch to 9's from 10's... maybe I'm just not used to the pickups yet (the Custom Shop Strat is still quite new)... I'm not sure.

I'll have to look into the 60s and 69 hand wound pickups. Only a slightly different note, the guitar did not come with the Fender Tone Saver/Treble bleed circuit that I have on my other Strats... and I'm finding that to be a HUGE difference. Going to have to have that installed.

Nice! Small world :)

4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Did you try lowering the Tx. Specials?

As for Fat 50's, I love em. Got a set and threw them in my testcaster and now I need a new testcaster! The set I got came from a 3rd series American Standard.

They definitely have more growl than the TS's

aepoc likes this.
  5. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Yeah I've lowered them. I'm not exactly sure about pickup height. I don't know much about pickup height... I hear that the treble side should be slightly higher than the bass side. But I also pick almost directly over the middle pickup, and can't stand hitting the pickup cover Don't think I'd do any/much damage, but still.

Good to hear about the growl, I do l like that.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

I'm not a fan of the Texas Specials. I have a set of Fat 50s in my CS Strat that I really like, although I personally don't buy into the hype of handwound vs non-handwound. Irrelevant minutiae if i'm being honest. Hand-wound does not equate to better...at all.

Leofender and aepoc like this.
  7. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Well said Murph. I haven't been able to play a specific set of pickups, and been able to A/B hand-wound vs factory-would (or whatever it's called)... but I'd be willing to bed that I could not tell the difference.

Antstrat likes this.
  8. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Sorry, But I beg to differ... I have had just about every fender style of pickup and they do make a difference... Handwound that is... Have you ever had any ?
    Aepoc, Have you tried an EQ pedal to tame the highs ? I have a ten band MXR that works great...

aepoc likes this.
  9. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Lower em. A ton.

aepoc likes this.
  10. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Yeah @strattopper I have tried throwing an EQ in there. I primarily use a Line 6 Helix. I also DO use my tone knobs, so that's helping quite a bit too. Things just seem a bit harsher than they used to. I could be completely crazy, the test results aren't back yet. And I've noticed that the piercing highs tend to come about when I really slam into the strings.. which I know I need to lay off if I don't want said highs.

@Nate D Will do, I'll try lowering them some more.

Nate D likes this.
  11. Nate D

You can get them almost flush to the puckguard and then work your way back up. They’ll start sounding better.

Driftwood, Antstrat and aepoc like this.
  12. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Looking forward to trying this!

Nate D likes this.
  13. Nate D

Raise them slowly as you’re guitar is plugged into your amp and let your ears guide you in.

Driftwood and aepoc like this.
  14. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Fat 50's sound great imho. Bottom line though is your going to get varied opinions so the only REAL way to find out is take a chance and buy them.

Gevalt, Nate D and aepoc like this.
  15. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Very true. I will try lowering the Texas Specials and see what happens.

Much appreciated :)

Nate D and Driftwood like this.
  16. Antstrat

:thumb:

aepoc likes this.
  17. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

All the basic Fender single coils are pretty good, the fat 50's, 60 CS, 65's, 69's. Any number of klein offerings, they are all good choices and probably better pickups than a Texas Special....if you are good enough to exploit those differences, which are overstated on guitar forums.

aepoc likes this.
  18. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

I'm gonna with with a "no" on the good enough. My ears might pick up certain things though. And we all know that the tone we get influences how we play!

Driftwood likes this.
  19. Antstrat

I have enough pickups to choke a herd of elephants including hand wired Fender and it’s equivalent non hand wound and I’ve only heard a difference between different types. A hand wired 69 sounds the same as a non hand wired 69. There just is no explainable or logical reason why they would sound different.

20. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

I also had a strat loaded with the Specials early in my playing. I gigged it a few years before getting another strat more suited to what I want. A good amp made the Texas Specials very usable. Gotta spend your dough how you like though. No faith in your gear is a bad thing, even if someone else thinks it's usable.

Leofender and aepoc like this.