Talk to me about Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by aepoc, Jun 14, 2021.

1. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Very, very true.

Nate D and Driftwood like this.
  2. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

But sometimes pickups just don’t do it for you. You gotta get something that’ll do it for you. But keep in mind guitars sound very similar with different pickups through the same gear while being played by the same player. You’ll be changing the voicing of it.

3. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Thanks Nate :)

Nate D likes this.
  4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

To be succinct, yes. Out of the 12 Fender CS guitars I've owned I've had everything from Texas Specials, "HW 60s", Fat 50s, 60/63, "HW '65", etc. All hand wound, at least according to Fender's writing/marking on the flatwork. I've tried Lollar pickups, Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, Fralin pickups, etc. They're all good.

I don't doubt that hand wound pickups sound different. That's a distinct possibility if only from the standpoint that they are hand wound. I refuse to propagate the idea that hand wound equals better. That's purely subjective and, frankly, a fallacy.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Ebidis, PCollen and aepoc like this.
  5. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Well everybody has their own opinion and you will get a thousand opinions on topics like this. We all like what we like.

aepoc likes this.
  6. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talker

If I “m not mistaken theses pups (fat 50) are in my American standard strat (2013) and I love it, although I prefer the CS”s texas special, but it”s my personal taste..

aepoc likes this.
  7. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

From a winders standpoint I say what you call handwound sounds a bit less strident and more loose due to an unequal pull over the whole process. The big difference comes with those intentional scatter windings.
    BTW your 'handwinding' is only handguiding on a powered winding machine. Pure Handwinding is rare and very time-consuming / expensive (Google for Timbucker and Zhangbucker).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    aepoc likes this.
  8. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

I understand and agree. But the friendly debate stems from a tonality perspective. More specifically, a "better" tonality with hand wound pickups, of which I attest is subjective.

Ebidis likes this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Although, I actually really like texas Specials, I like the Fat '50s even more. I had Fat '50s in an American Standard Strat, and they may be my favorite strat pickups ever. I loved the low end, and extra output without the added mids of Texas Specials.

YMMV.

Murphcaster and aepoc like this.
  10. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Ebidis likes this.
  11. aepoc

aepoc Strat-Talk Member

Just wanted to bring this back from the dead a bit. I got some Custom Shop Fat 50s installed in the '59 to replace the Custom Shop Hand Wound Texas Specials that were in there. Night and day difference to me. The shrill, ice-pick-like highs are gone, and it's a much more even tone for me. SUPER happy with the change. Thought this could help some others, so wanted to update. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and discussion.

JoOost and Deviljho like this.
  12. Leofender

Leofender Strat-Talk Member

I recently installed FAT 50s in my Player Stratocaster... They are the most Strat sounding pups of ALL. I swapped a few sets of pups and can definitely hear a significant improvement in base clarity, mid and treble have that crisp spring and glass quality.
    I don't use a pick, so rely heavily on the pups to articulate my fingerstyle playing.
    I hope you enjoy your new pups, and find your tone, whatever set you end up with... Your ears will let you know when you find the tone you are after!