Tax on Reverb

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by OttoG, Jul 9, 2021.

1. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Hello Gentlemen,

First I apologize if this thread is not supposed to be here. I just landed a nice deal with a dude on Reverb for a Fuzz pedal, however going thru checkout, I see now almost 25 bucks of taxes?!

This is the first time Ive seen this, last month I got myself a Broadcast pedal, and in any of my orders from this year have I seen taxes. To give more detail, the pedal is shipped from Nevada to Florida, to my POBOX.

Was there any changes on Reverb regarding taxes and used gear?

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Could have something to do with where you are located?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=high+taxes+on+reverb.com&t=operav&ia=web

3bolt79, JJ119 and StratoMutt like this.
  3. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Reverb started collecting taxes for most states over the last year or two. Applies to both new and used, as sales tax applies to both new and used.

Bill, tgo

3bolt79 and Morf2540 like this.
  4. OttoG

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. OttoG

Cuak Cuak

Dunno guys, seems weird, I mean, Ive never have taxes charged in my previous orders from them. Maybe someone will provide a light on this.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

If the shipments do not go outside of the US, Reverb will collect taxes for FL I'd imagine - the destination. They know nothing of your courier arrangement.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

It's a state thing which should not reflect poorly on Reverb.

It's compliance just like Amazon, Eddie Bauer, Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shops, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, and guess how many other sellers.

I used to live a few miles from a neighboring state. My friends/ neighbors over the line paid lower sales tax. ;) It's calculated based on the 'ship to' address.

Rudedawg, 3bolt79 and StratoMutt like this.
  9. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

It’s your local sales tax. Those are required to be collected now for online purchases. It’s not just Reverb, I think it’s all online sales. I think it started last year,

Rudedawg and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Always choose a PO Box in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or Oregon.

Those states do not charge sales taxes.

Namelyguitar, 3bolt79 and s5tuart like this.
  11. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

A few years ago Oklahoma passed a law that you have to pay state taxes on all online orders. I don't think it is right but the government sucks sometimes.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Reverb has been charging taxes for all transactions for at least 4-5 years, I think, if not longer.

I think it's absurd that hobbyists unloading their used gear are treated the same as actual businesses by making their used gear taxable. But I guess that's one of the ways they protect the big guys from the little guys.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

If you perhaps made your prior purchases through someone who had one of Reverb's "web storefronts" that people could set up, that was a way to avoid taxes.

Reverb stopped that after Etsy took over forcing all sales through their portal where everything gets taxes. You wouldn't have necessarily noticed the difference since it was merely a technical tax avoidance setup.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

For Florida, effective July 1, the law went into effect Z(or rather began being enforced) that ALL internet sales to Florida add resses (billing and/or shippping) have Florida sales tax applied.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busine...0210420-cjij55ttc5doznzescc2l7hjfy-story.html

15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Shipping to/from Alaska will KILL YOU. Even those music stores (MF, Sweetwater, etc. ) that offer free shipping exclude Alaska and Hawaii.

vid1900 likes this.
  16. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I live in Delaware. No sales tax. Everyone is welcome to ship their online purchases to my house and save the tax. I'll take good care of it for you.

StratoMutt, PCollen and vid1900 like this.
  17. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

Sales tax has been collected on online sales to MS for a while now, whether shipped to our P.O. Box or physical address.

18. OttoG

Thank you! You got the answer. All of my previous orders were not subjected to tax. My last order before this fuzz went thru without any taxes.

BTW, it just shipped today, an awesome Land Devices HP-2; got it for $320. Sweet.

19. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

(This is a non-political post of sales tax law issues. Collection of sales taxes across state lines is common among states of all political leanings).

Old Rules:

Every state with a sales tax (which is most) also has a USE tax - so if you purchased out of state, you were supposed to send them the tax. Widely unenforceable except with business purchases (easily audited) or very large personal purchases that were easy to monitor dues to registration requirements (cars, boats, etc).

OTOH, collections across state lines were not enforceable. The SCOTUS held that the Interstate Commerce Clause considered it a restriction of Interstate Commerce and it wasn't Constitutional. EX: The state of "X" could not force a business in in state "Y" to collect taxes for it and forward the money back to "X".

Any business that had a presence in a state (nexus) could be forced to collect taxes for sales completed nationally. So, for example, if Amazon had a warehouse in a state, they could/would be forced to collect taxes for that state regardless of where the item was sold... as long as the item was delivered to that state.

New rules:

There was a SCOTUS ruling a few years ago via a case that South Dakota filed that brought down the long-standing "law" that one-state trying to enforce the sales tax collection was a violation of the Constitution's Interstate Commerce Clause.

The result was that many states passed laws requiring the collection of sales taxes, as cited for Florida above. Generally small businesses are exempt from the collections as a matter of practicality. However, if the sale takes place through a large broker (Reverb, Ebay, etc) then the broker themselves is required to do the collection.

Some of the new laws are gray in certain aspects, but the vendors have chosen to err on the side of collection when there's any question.