TC Electronic + OneSpot - Noise

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by kuladi, Nov 10, 2020.

1. kuladi

kuladi Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,

I have one issue with hum generated on my new pedalboard
    Using a small Onespot adapter for power. I pinpoint the issue with 2 TC electronic digital pedals
    Flashback and HOF

My tests have come down to the following:
    I power only the HOF with Onespot (no daisy chain cable), with just one cord in the pedal input. No guitar
    To remove the amp from the equation, I plug my headphones on the HOF output
    There is a loud hum as soon as I switch on the pedal.
    Almost the same thing happens with Flashback, only here the hum changes when I turn the effect level dial.
    Tried also another wall plug in the apartment and it is the same

My other pedals are not contributing to the noise except the drives when I turn the dirt very high (which I do not do normally)
    When I power from a generic power adapter, those you can find in electronics shops, there is no hum.
    However the generic adapter does not provide a lot of power. I think it reads 1000ma

Have you seen the same issue with TC electronic and Onespot. Or is my onespot faulty?

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @kuladi

It might be the 1Spot is faulty/loose connection orthe number of pedals is drawing more ma current than it can.

Can you try powering the 2 TC Pedals each with a battery to see if they hum ?

If they still hum with a battery, than maybe try different power supply ,?

Chont and elduderinoTF like this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Hmmm. You got me thinking. I’ve been chasing a Hiss with my daisy chain power. I have a TC Viscous vibe. I was going to get an isolated power at some point but I wonder if you that’s the culprit for me. Haven’t had a chance to really roll up my sleeves and figure out where the issue is. I just know it’s not my amp, cable or guitar

sorry that wasn’t more useful to your situation.

4. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Digital pedals simply hum with non isolated power supplies.

StummerJoe and ajb1965 like this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Thanks for reminding me I need a power brick. I ended up with a couple pedals I wasnt going to use and had an old daisy chain laying around. Yup, its noisy and a big ball of cable with unused jacks is messy

StummerJoe likes this.
  6. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Maybe a noise gate/noise suppressor at the end of the chain, i.e. ISP Decimators are great, but MXR and Boss make decent ones as well.

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

I have two one-spots. Theoretically identical. One is quiet as a church mouse, the other hums likes simpleton in church.

8. kuladi

kuladi Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your advice guys

The HOF pedal may draw 300ma approximately. I am not sure. It is a digital pedal
    But I am powering only HOF for this test. The 1spot is supposed to provide 1700ma

@stevierayfan91, I have not tried with batteries. I must get some batteries to try just for testing.

@Chont , it looks like the Viscious Vibe is a digital pedal, so maybe you have the same issues with 1spot. Not sure though.

@BelairPlayer maybe this 1spot I have is somewhat faulty. This is my conclusion at the moment. Also based on your experience, it may be the case.

9. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I had this problem when I bought a Boss JB-2 Angry Driver. I bought one of these. Cheap, under USD20. Not truly an isolated supply, but works.

upload_2020-11-11_6-48-22.png

Stratoman10 likes this.
  10. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Similar issues finally drove me to getting an isolated, regulated, filtered power supply (one spot pro). Digital delays and compressors really like lots of clean power. The change in the signal quality was very noticeable.

ajb1965 likes this.
  11. kuladi

kuladi Strat-Talk Member

I would settle for something cheap for now.
    Also I will get some batteries as most pedals have very low power consumption. Except the 2 digital pedals Reverb and Delay.

Having said that, most of the time I play with a mutliFX board that does not have these issues.
    But I started getting some pedals, and recently after a lot of fiddling around, got some nice tone with them.
    In my country I do not think we have Caline, but I could see some budget options like Harley Benton. They have some power supplies for pedals as I just checked.
    Thanks for the infos guys

ajb1965 likes this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its the PSU.

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah the quality and type matters

For affordable would suggest either a CIOKS 4 expander or Mission 529.

Both affordable and quiet

14. kuladi

kuladi Strat-Talk Member

@The-Kid, thanks for the recommendation.
    Right now I am using some generic adapter for 9v and 1000ma. It looks like quality made, and it is more than double the size of the 1spot adapter, but it is generic.
    Although my pedals are dead quiet now, will need to upgrade soon.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Truetone is a great option as well but def check out CiOkS and Mission. Mega quiet and no noise added as well

I sell CIOKS Future Power Generation and fully recommend it to anyone for anything that may come your way. Super dependable unit and mega flexible with so many options and power on deck. CIOKS 4 expander or DC7 has your name on it!!!! Lol jk but yeah. Amazing good option for sure. Clean and noise free power solution best of all and most important....no noise added during operation!!!

Otherwise these others mentioned are great as well and fully recommend as well.

Trust a good power supply is a great investment. Especially if you got a couple pedals pricey or not....thats a good amount of cash in gear..kind of silly to overlook the life blood of your pedals.....the power..treat your gear nice to make a happy player, happy rig....and happy music :)

Cheers and best!!!

kuladi likes this.
  16. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I use separate power supplies one for digital and another for analog.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I had noise also with a One-Spot. Changed to a Pedal Power Plus and no problems.

18. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I have had trouble with the HOF and Flashback following certain pedals, like a J Rocket Archer. Very unpleasant artifacts with the Archer engaged.

I agree with trying a different power source, and if at all possible isolating those effects in your effects loop if your amp has one.

19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I pickerd up a One Spot brick on the way home yesterday. Freaking cables are so short I can't use them. Guess I'll get another Pedal Power

20. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

My small pedalboard has the same two TC pedals you mentioned (mini version) and is powered by a 1Spot Pro. No hums at all. Not sure why just those 2 pedals would cause an issue. Unlikely that both are at fault so I would look to the common element, the 1Spot. Are you using a 1Spot adapter with a daisy chain cable? If so, your best bet is to get an isolated power supply, the Daisy chain has too many possible points of failure to consider.
    CF9029B5-19D3-43AB-BAAF-BD92B6BF21D2.jpeg 88B8854E-638D-4AEF-8270-5560816D2A9E.jpeg

The-Kid and kuladi like this.