TC Plethora Replaces Everything but Drives

Hoodster

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2020
Pacific NW
I haven’t seen any threads on this forum dedicated to these great multi-effects units, which offer amazing versatility and tones, and the potential to replace everything on your board except overdrive/distortion/fuzz. The original has five slots and they recently released a smaller version with three (Plethora X3).

FWIW, here’s my demo of favorite settings from the Plethora, most of which applies to both models.

ajb1965

Old Enough to Know Better
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen any threads on this forum dedicated to these great multi-effects units, which offer amazing versatility and tones, and the potential to replace everything on your board except overdrive/distortion/fuzz.

Because they are hard to find out in the wild since Behringer decided to make TC direct sales or whatever it was they did. All the big US retailers stopped carrying them. It's a shame because it is a great pedal with the exception of some early MIDI implementation limits, which I think they fixed last year.

Nice demo!

Slartybartfast

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Ca.
I haven’t seen any threads on this forum dedicated to these great multi-effects units, which offer amazing versatility and tones, and the potential to replace everything on your board except overdrive/distortion/fuzz. The original has five slots and they recently released a smaller version with three (Plethora X3).

FWIW, here’s my demo of favorite settings from the Plethora, most of which applies to both models.

Looks really cool and I almost bought one a few days ago, but they are the only company that doesn't do a Leslie - deal breaker. Odd, since their Univbe pedal has ramping.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Nice demo! I only wish you'd shown the controls better, specifically the knobs and toggles and the connections on the back panel.

The one question I had was whether it was possible to run the compressor in front of my dirt into the front of the amp and route the rest of the effects through my fx loop.

EDIT: Found my answers and more. Great supplementary vids on this by Pedal Platform.

Last edited:

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
For me it is way too much money (about $325 over what I thought it would cost) for FX that are as good in a lot of other pedals.

Hoodster

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2020
Pacific NW
Nice demo! I only wish you'd shown the controls better, specifically the knobs and toggles and the connections on the back panel.

The one question I had was whether it was possible to run the compressor in front of my dirt into the front of the amp and route the rest of the effects through my fx loop.

EDIT: Found my answers and more. Great supplementary vids on this by Pedal Platform.
Thanks! I definitely was trying more to just show some of my favorite settings rather than a video manual, and you beat me to it - I was going to suggest the excellent series of Plethora videos by that same YouTube channel. Here’s one I found very informative:

bcalvanese

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Well I gave it a try and it really didn't wow me. Easy to use, pretty good effects, software (both windows and phone) glitchy and very difficult to navigate. But editing on the unit itself is easy.

I sent it back and ordered a Boss GT-1000CORE to try. If the GT-1000CORE is better than my HX Stomp, I will keep that and sell the HX Stomp.

Hoodster

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2020
Pacific NW
Well I gave it a try and it really didn't wow me. Easy to use, pretty good effects, software (both windows and phone) glitchy and very difficult to navigate. But editing on the unit itself is easy.

I sent it back and ordered a Boss GT-1000CORE to try. If the GT-1000CORE is better than my HX Stomp, I will keep that and sell the HX Stomp.
Curious why if it was easy to use and editing on the unit is also easy, why was the software a dealbreaker?

My unit has connected seamlessly by Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad to beam new TonePrints to the unit quickly and effortlessly, and then I do everything else from the unit itself, which as you said is quite simple.

I will say that the only glitch I’ve experienced with the software is in naming and re-ordering boards. That has been annoying.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I will say that the only glitch I’ve experienced with the software is in naming and re-ordering boards. That has been annoying.
I watched a few vids and didn't see the process for naming/renaming the boards.

I did see a way to swap boards on the fly, but nothing about changing the order of the boards, by which I assume what number is assigned to the board?

Can you give a quick summary of how those two things are accomplished?

Hoodster

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2020
Pacific NW
I watched a few vids and didn't see the process for naming/renaming the boards.

I did see a way to swap boards on the fly, but nothing about changing the order of the boards, by which I assume what number is assigned to the board?

Can you give a quick summary of how those two things are accomplished?
I think it will depend on what type of device you’re connected with. Using iOS I believe you just swipe to the left on the board and the option to rename pops up.

To re-order them, again using a mobile device, I believe you just tap and hold on the board and then drag and drop it where you want it. I’m not in front of my device at the moment, but let me know if those don’t work.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I think it will depend on what type of device you’re connected with. Using iOS I believe you just swipe to the left on the board and the option to rename pops up.

To re-order them, again using a mobile device, I believe you just tap and hold on the board and then drag and drop it where you want it. I’m not in front of my device at the moment, but let me know if those don’t work.
I don't have one (yet) to try it out, but I'm very interested in acquiring one based on what I know so far.

I thought it might require actually being hooked into the software on a device, but was hoping there might be some stomp combination or something that would do it, such as the one for switching effects order.

Seems like either or both would be fairly simple to implement. Just put a rename function on the "Boards" menu and then enable a dial to select letters and push to set.

Changing board order could likewise be easily implemented by simply adding a "move or reorder" option on the boards menu. Press button to select or grab the board once you toggle to it, then spin the dial to move it up or down the list.

If I get one I'll definitely be making suggestions to that effect for the next upgrade.

One other question. In the demos I've seen when you select boards with the toggle they appear by number. Once you name them, is the number replaced with the name in the display on the pedal?

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
I have lots of TC modulation pedals so that’s the only reason why I don’t have a Plethora yet (although maybe a pedal sell-off soon, the Plethora would simplify my board a lot). Anyway, I use Tone Prints a LOT, and IMO it’s one of the best reasons to buy TC mod pedals. The “beam down” technology is brilliant and provides an instant multitude of preset changes per pedal. The Plethora lets you store up to 75 Tone Prints PER PEDAL so the variations are pretty limitless. And overall, I think TC pedals sound really good. Great company product strategies, great products for the most part.

bcalvanese

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Curious why if it was easy to use and editing on the unit is also easy, why was the software a dealbreaker?

My unit has connected seamlessly by Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad to beam new TonePrints to the unit quickly and effortlessly, and then I do everything else from the unit itself, which as you said is quite simple.

Well, I had a heck of a time getting it to connect to my phone app with Bluetooth, and it would not connect at all to my laptops Bluetooth. Also it was way too much drilling into things just to change settings.

The main thing is that watching the reviews I thought the effects would sound way better than my HX Stomp, but they didn't IMO.

It is a good pedal, and easy to use (on the unit), but just not as good as my HX Stomp (for me).

I ordered a Boss GT-1000CORE which should be here tomorrow. I will see if that beats my HX Stomp.

Hoodster

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2020
Pacific NW
I don't have one (yet) to try it out, but I'm very interested in acquiring one based on what I know so far.

I thought it might require actually being hooked into the software on a device, but was hoping there might be some stomp combination or something that would do it, such as the one for switching effects order.

Seems like either or both would be fairly simple to implement. Just put a rename function on the "Boards" menu and then enable a dial to select letters and push to set.

Changing board order could likewise be easily implemented by simply adding a "move or reorder" option on the boards menu. Press button to select or grab the board once you toggle to it, then spin the dial to move it up or down the list.

If I get one I'll definitely be making suggestions to that effect for the next upgrade.

One other question. In the demos I've seen when you select boards with the toggle they appear by number. Once you name them, is the number replaced with the name in the display on the pedal?
No, every board has a number regardless of the name. I think it would be chaos otherwise.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
No, every board has a number regardless of the name. I think it would be chaos otherwise.
I get your point, and I went and watched that video again and saw that I missed that the name of the board appears under the number. (be nice to be able to flip those so the name is bigger and the number smaller, but that works).

So I guess it's back to the only drawbacks being the two you noted, naming and reordering boards from the unit itself.

So to reorder in the software you drag the name to a different numbered slot?