Tech cracked pickguard a bit, is this an issue?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by andrew00, Jan 13, 2021.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Strat-Talk Member

Heya,

My strat has been with my tech for some bits done to it.

He's emailed me saying as he was screwing the pickguard back into the body, he's tightened one screw too far and cracked the pickguard around the screw hole.

He's asked me what I'd like to do. I could leave it, I could buy a replacement and he'd install that. Or he's offered to make me a replacement one as he has the materials.

I've never cracked a pickguard before so just thought I'd ask here before I told him what to do. I'm presume taking him up on his offer to just make a new one would be the smartest thing to do? It's just a 1ply white one so it's not like a fancy pattern or anything.

He's a great tech so I'm sure he'd do a good job in knocking one up, and if he doesn't I can always get an official new one down the line, but just thought I'd ask for some quick advice. Thanks!

JJ119, johnted and Scott Baxendale like this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

He offered to make one - why not?

Tell him if it is going to look homemade you would prefer a new one.

JJ119, drp146, Neil.C and 4 others like this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I say let him make you one, if he uses your old one for a template the screw holes will all be in the right place.

On this side of the pond, the fancy Warmoth ones cost $20, the cheap Chinese ones cost $10, and either way the screw holes likely won't line up perfectly.

JJ119, drp146, Dibbs and 2 others like this.
  4. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-O-Master

This.

Also, is your tech a gorilla?

JJ119, Neil.C, frozensoda and 7 others like this.
  5. Mustrat

Mustrat Strat-Talker

I would ask for replacement from the original manufacturer. It is his responsibility to return your instrument to you in the same condition he received it aside from any work her was supposed to be doing.

I would settle for aftermarket if it was impossible for some reason to get an original, but a hand cut one would not fly unless it was a skill he had highly honed with much skill and practice.

JJ119, drp146, Jyates and 5 others like this.
  6. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I would ask for a original replacement. He buys it and pays for it or you buy it and deduct from the setup price. My two cents only.

7. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'd go with him making a replacement.

8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Strat-Talker

You might want to reassess the "great" part. I would want a replacement Fender guard and deduct it from the cost. And ask him please not to use power tools to tighten the screws on your instrument.

Update:
    I wouldn't make a big deal of it or go-Karen on this in any event. Especially if he's a good tech and you have a working relationship with him. But I tend to be more business-like with these transactions and I expect the same. Points to him for being up front and admitting the error. His lively hood depends on word of mouth and online reviews so he's motivated to make it right, I'm sure.

Stuff happens. But the home-made option wouldn't appeal to me if it is an original guard I would still want a Fender part deducted from the price. It's easy to do and I would prolly just do that part myself. If it's a 3rd party guard I'd let him make it (sounds like a lot of effort on his part) and call it even.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    drp146, Jyates, Dibbs and 5 others like this.
  9. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I would say... if he's a great tech, and you get on well with each other – I would consider going with one of the options he provided you. I mean, of course in reality – you should probably be provided with / given the cost of a new one, they're not expensive – that's what he should have probably offered. However – in a more nuanced spirit... – you probably want to keep the relationship on positive, healthy, happy terms, and if you were to go saying 'I want a new one', sure – he might oblige you, but will he be happy to see you back? Will he be happy to take on more work from you? Will it be 'Sorry mate – I'm just up to my eyes at the minute, could you try again next month'... – ? You can get perfectly cut pickguards from China for about £5 delivered, and official ones from Fender – if you look around, for about... £15 – £20 – I just wonder might it be for the best, in the long run – for you to accept his offer, but change the pickguard yourself? I don't know – I'm just playing devil's advocate here, good luck though – whatever you decide :) !

10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Agreeing with @J4ME5 ,
    Of course, if you never want his services again ...DEMAND a new one

Chuck8436, rocknrollrich and J4ME5 like this.
  11. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

I’d probably just get a new one and install it on my own. Might give you a chance to try something other than white?
    Sounds like he’s a good guy and I’m betting he’ll deduct some $$ from the bill if you tell him not to worry about it and that you’ll deal with it down the road.

riplead, Morf2540, fretWalkr and 3 others like this.
  12. andrew00

andrew00 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the replies, it sounds most people are either on board with letting him do it or getting a replacement.

I do want to keep having a relationship with him, he's a great tech and person I think he just made a misstep here.

So yeah I think I'll take the advice and let him have a crack.

I've not replaced a pickguard myself before, but it's just screwing stuff right, no soldering etc? Unscrew everything, lift it out, screw the bits to the new one? As in, I could do it myself even with my innate lack of technical ability. I.e. if he doesn't do the job I can always just get it done myself with little fanfare.

HazyPurple, Bob the builder and J4ME5 like this.
  13. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

You left a lot out of the story. How long have you know the tech? Previous work? How are his prices? If he's given you great work, for a long time, at below market prices in your area I would think nothing of it. If he's saved you well over the cost of the pickguard since you've been going to him I definitely would not make a stink. You'll move to the top group of his favorite customers which usually translates to a little more time to detail, better deals, faster service, etc. if you're cool about it...oh, and no more cracked pickguards. He'll remember forever when he's working on it what he did that one time.

And it sounds like by his suggestion to you to "buy and bring over another Fender pickguard and I'll install it" tells me he might just do tech work for side money but is good at it so you go to him?

Regardless, if you like him and his work don't let the pickguard ruin things. It's not worth it.

Fuzzfinger, Bob the builder and J4ME5 like this.
  14. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

So YOU can buy, or he can MAKE? You broke it you fix it Mr tech. I am not buying anything and I am not settling for some basement special. My 2cents

valvestate and AcrylicSuperman like this.
  15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Let him make it and don't make a big scene over it.... the reason you should let him make it.. a single ply is dirt simple to make... and there is NO guarantee a replacement will fit correctly..

Cack happens... it's not a happy moment when it does, but since your cack was just a pick-guard, I'd thank whatever Muse you have on your shoulder that's all it was ... and remember, cack is gonna happen again... get used to living with it... it IS planet Earth after all...

r

gm1cusnr, RobZ69, Baelzebub and 12 others like this.
  16. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

You will be TOTALLY able to change the pickguard yourself, don't worry about it AT ALL – just check out YouTube, I am sure there will be plenty of videos showing the process.

The only advice I would suggest is – take note of your pickup heights, so that when you screw them back in – you will know what height they were set at beforehand, you could write down the measurements, or even take a photo – or both :) !

17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

OK, it happens....
    ????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

HE damaged YOUR property.
    He is responsible for restoring it to the condition it was in when you turned it over to him.
    That means that he needs to PROVIDE a replacement (factory) guard.
    Not you, and not one that he's made in his own shop.

You hired me to change the oil in your car.
    I lost your oil cap.
    Go buy a new one and I'll install it... or I can stuff a rag in and we'll call it good?

No. I don't care if it's a $5 oil cap, a $20 pickguard, or a $500 windshield.

I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to people doing work with/for me, but when someone expects me to pay for their mistake, or accept something of lesser value... No.

Jyates, Neil.C, Mr Dunlop and 6 others like this.
  18. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

If its a strat and not an S object get a fender replacement yourself and ask him to decuct the cost of it from your next visit to him for a set-up or whatever....

If its an S object let him make you a new pickguard....in both cases you get a solution to your issue and retain the relationship with your tech who you claim is a nice tech and a cool dude....

CB91710 likes this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

There is no way you should have to pay for a new pickguard. Period.

Jyates, Neil.C, 66musicmaster and 3 others like this.
  20. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

he was up front about it and did not try to hide it or make excuses,so i think he is a good dude and i would decide based on the guitar.

if it was a special or expensive guitar i would request a factory part for sure but if it is a player i would let him make a new one like he offered.