Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Technique question... Ring and pinky

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Minor7b5, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Minor7b5

Minor7b5 Strat-Talk Member

May 14, 2017
    USA
    I'v been battling myself with this for a while. I am self taught now going to college for a music minor. I taught myself incorrectly but it feels natural now. I use my pinky almost anywhere people usually use their 3rd. for pentatonic runs, I bend by pulling with my pinky. It's most comfortable and strongest for me. I know it's limiting so i'm fighting myself over reprogramming everything i'v learned up to this point...

ideas...advice?

davidKOS and skypeace like this.

2. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Go with what feels right or natural to you... but do practice other techniques to help determine which way is best or most comfortable in the end :thumb:

skypeace likes this.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

So if your index is on the 5th fret you would use your pinky on the 7th? That's interesting.

Technique is mostly a matter of smart repetition. Figure out what you need to do and create exercises for yourself to work on it. For you, just playing a chromatic scale over and over would help fix that and if you want to be specific to your issue, you could do a bend on every finger while doing the chromatic. Just takes time.

Mr. Lumbergh and skypeace like this.

4. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Stop fighting. It's not "wrong" if it works for you.
    Instead of trying to change it, work on incorporating another fingering technique into your repertoire.
    Scales. Just work scales up and down the neck over and over.

Believer7713 and skypeace like this.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Cut off your pinky. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Omar and amstratnut like this.

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    As said, do what works easily and effectively for you.

Unless you're going for a degree from Berkley, your "bad" technique won't matter.

7. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Well, it sure beats the threads on the mandolin forum about why it's OK not to use your 4th finger.

I grew up playing string bass, I often use my 4th finger where other guys may use finger 3. It's not a bad thing to be able to bend with the 4th finger either! :thumb:

Just make sure your 3rd finger can do everything it is supposed to do when needed.

Well, yes, to a point.

So many good players could be a lot better with so-called "proper" technique. A good understanding of standard classical guitar and jazz guitar fingers will only enhance your playing in other style.

Knowing traditional fingerings also makes easier to play most musical passages.

That said, every traditional technique was a "new" way to play at some time or other. Some techniques are left by the wayside, others become the norm.

lammie200, Omar, Mr. Lumbergh and 3 others like this.

8. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    I think that's amazing that you bend with your fourth finger. Like DavidKOS says, it beats "not" using that finger. If you do want to practice traditional technique, the four-finger scale method (one finger per fret) really helped me.
    For example, the Major A scale. Start on the 5th fret low E string with your 2nd finger. Then 7th fret w/ pinky. The A string 4th fret w/1st finger. A string 5th fret w/2nd finger then 7th fret/pinky. D string 4th fret w/1st finger, then 6th fret w/3rd finger and octave 7th fret w/pinky. One octave of Do Re Mi! You can continue up the strings for the 2nd octave. Remember you'll be starting 2nd octave w/pinky on the D string so you'll go to 1st finger on the G string 4th fret, etc, etc. Start slow. This works for any key depending on which note you start, just use the same intervals.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    davidKOS likes this.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

When I was a young fella (9 or 10)
    My teacher told me to play chromatic scales. Start on the low E and play to the octave on the high E. Had to work all four fingers that way. It's guitar calisthenics.

10. Micheal Stratston

Micheal Stratston Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I’ve practiced to be able to bend with my pinky with ease but I would still still use 3rd finger for whole tone leaps(5th fret-7thfret) but would definitely use my pinky for Pretty much any stretch further but there’s always exceptions to every “rule”

11. Minor7b5

May 14, 2017
    USA
    Yes... If my index is on the 5th fret my pinky would do the work for the 7th frets say in a minor pentatonic, it would also do the work for the 8th frets on the B and e strings. BUT if i go into diatonic thinking I use 1 string per finger.

12. Minor7b5

May 14, 2017
    USA
    Also... If i wanted to do a unison bend or bend up to a 1st or 2nd string embellishment I would use my 3rd finger independently on the 3rd string. I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything. If i'm muting properly is a big issue for me too.

I know diatonic major and minor scales in every position... and how they relate, I also am comfortable with intervals and compound intervals. I practice playing scale with the third finger but when it comes to playing practically my pinky does all the work.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    T Guitar Floyd likes this.

13. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Sounds to me that after prolonged playing this would cause cramps, and also how do you bend up a whole step on the e and B strings? Do you push?

When I stared playing, I am entirely self taught, it wasn't unusual for me to do the reverse. I have pretty long fingers and I would often play power chords with my first middle and ring fingers. I also almost exclusively pulled to bend. I watched a video a long time ago and saw the person was doing things entirely differently than how I had been, they were pulling on the EA and D strings and pushing on the other. And the fingerings were different too. Eventually I adapted proper technique. And it was all the better because instead of relying on just your pinky, you will have your ring that is equally as capable. You know how to do it already, as the saying goes..practice makes perfect.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

14. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Well I'm going to go against the grain but if you are serious about playing guitar then proper hand technique is paramount. You are never going to play Al Di Meola or Jeff Loomis stuff with your hand in bad positioning. Its worth it to retrain yourself. I re-learned how to alternate pick after 20 years of doing it one way, it can be done and does not take as long as you might think. You want to see proper left hand hand technique? Go look up Paco De Lucia on Youtube.

davidKOS likes this.

15. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Shoot I still do this as a warm up.

Ebidis, davidKOS and fezz parka like this.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

So do I !

Ebidis, davidKOS and Dick Blackmore like this.

17. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Name dropper! :whistling:

But those are GREAT examples of styles of playing that require pristine technique.

Hell, I'll use that as a lick in a song.:cool:

Really, it's a good way to get things together. After it feels OK on single strings stuff, try playing the 4 finger pattern across the fingerboard, so that each finger is not only used on a new fret but the next string too.

Like this, from the low E:

Low F on 6th string fret1 finger 1
    B on the 5th string fret 2 finger 2
    F on the 4rd string finger 3
    B on the 3rd string, finger 4

or

F on string 1 finger 1
    C# string 2 fret 2 finger 2
    A string 3 fret 3 finger 3
    F# string 4 fret 4 finger 4

It's not about the notes per se but about this being an exercise.

or just follow these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+f...3J7XAhVRx2MKHWJCAqsQ_AUICygC&biw=1362&bih=862

T Guitar Floyd and fezz parka like this.

18. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Well, I'm going to disagree slightly. I'm a guitar teacher . . . I can't advocate this! ;)

Okay, you do that for pentatonic runs. What do you do for three note per string runs? Does your third finger work okay on those?

19. Minor7b5

May 14, 2017
    USA
    Yeah... 3 note per string scales I use the third finger 'properly' But when i'm playing practically I visualize the scale itself and the notes of the scale... my index and pinky are my anchors, The third will only come into play if say i want to do a certain lick.

This is what I sound like

I'v only been recently working my third finger in on the 3rd string and higher to achieve unison bends and bend to high string embellishments. If i were to try to do a index finger to ring finger hammer on or pull off on the 3rd string (with my pinky 'tucked away') it would feel horrible. I understand theoretically I have an entire finger in the way when I use my pinky but it feels more natural.

I do high string bends comfortable with my second finger by itself, the whole grabbing the string with three fingers feels odd. I also like to pull bend with the pinky because I can grab strings under it and get a awesome clashing sound.

Guitar is the center of my life and i'd hate to not be preforming to my highest potential because i'm sacrificing comfort for practicality.

20. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    All I can say is, if that was the best way to do it, we'd all be doing it.

As for your song, you do indeed have a unique style, and it's cool and interesting. You'll have to be the judge on modifying your technique.

I will say that it doesn't take as long as you might think to make changes. I've completely changed my picking style before, and it literally only took about fifteen minutes of doing it before I was used to it.

Whatever you do, best wishes, keep us posted, and keep recording!

davidKOS likes this.