Teh Official Guitarist's that don't sing thread

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jackie Treehorn, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

A few greats come to mind, but you can list your own.

Some must know their limitations and choose not to sing. For the average Willie or Joe, being a singer/guitarist would increase your options and not leave you at the mercy of others. My singing is strictly backup.

Anyone take vocal lessons later in life? Being able to front a jam or group would really be a breakout for me musically. It's the next big thing. How to get there?

2. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

It took me a long time to figure out how to sing and I'm still not the best at it but, I can hold my own. It really just takes practice and trial and error like anything else. You have to find your voice and not try to copy someone elses to be successful at it.
    My two cents.

3. moondance360

moondance360 Strat-O-Master

I saw Jeff Beck last night. He doesn't sing, but he is an exceptional guitarist.

My first band in jr. high was made up of guys who were in the school choir. Choir taught us how to sing parts. We were the most booked band in our jr. high and high school because of it.

How to get there? Anybody can sing. Practice singing while playing. Learn to transpose keys and sing in keys you sound good in. Sing with gusto. Put a little power behind your voice by singing from your diaphragm, not your throat. Concentrate on keeping your mouth close to the microphone. Turning your head means people will only hear a few of the words, so will the recorder. Most of all......have fun. People will remember your passion longer than your performance.

4. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Despite being Welsh, I have a dreadful voice. :mad: I do the la la la bits though.

5. Turbodog384

Turbodog384 Strat-Talker

:twisted:John Mayer, oh wait.......

6. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Lucky You! Jeff Beck, wow! About that "Anybody can sing" comment. Just because they can, do not mean they should. If you need an example, check out some of the clowns that try out for American Idol.

7. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Didn't do very well in my teens, that is until I started to take singing seriously, hope that doesn't sound pompous. No singing lessons (I put that in the same bag as dancing lessons:neutral:) instead I recorded myself continually, making myself sound like I wanted. This seemed to work ok resulting in some interesting recording opportunities.

The key is: we sound a lot different in our head to how we actually sound to the listener.

Playing guitar other than rhythm and singing is another hurdle :cry:

8. moondance360

moondance360 Strat-O-Master

Anybody can sing. I bet Bob Dylan wouldn't make it on American Idol either. I can think of a list of stars who "can't sing", but make a living doing it.

Oh well, YMMV

9. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I've always been very self-conscious of my singing. I went from doing it very little to almost never. I wish I was more comfortable with it but I don't know if I'll ever be. When I used to record myself singing and play it back, I'd go "Damn I'm never gonna let anybody hear that!". LOL

10. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

i,m a totally crud singer i do sing to myself when i,m playing but when i say i,ve got bad vocals,i mean bad lol,my wife is an excellent singer and i,ve talked her into singing with me [only when i,ve bought her a decent microphone tho]

11. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Strat-Talk Member

Generally true, but as a Yardbirds aficionado, I have to point out Jeff Beck sang lead on Psycho Daisies.

And don't get me started on the "Bob Dylan can't sing" thing - listen to Lay Lady Lay - and there are numerous other examples - but the Folk singer aesthetic is to make it sound rough, like anyone can sing it. Listen to the first CD of his bootleg series - especially Moonshiner, which is a vocal gymnastics - dude can sing, for sure.

He likes to play with tones and notes, come at them from weird angles - I mean, it's boring to sing everything nice. It's like playing guitar without any bends or without turning your amp up and making it sound nasty.

I've heard there are recordings of Neil Young where he sounds like Stephen Stills. Yet Neil chooses to sing in his high whiny voice. Why? Because the most important thing about singing is not how high you can sing, or how pretty, but that you have a unique and memorable voice.

Guitarists that don't sing? You can make a list of folks like Yngwie Malmsteen, Ritchie Blackmore, all the way to William Ackerman and Michael Hedges.

12. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

If I try to sing,,I`ll scare the crowd away!!!!!lol

13. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Duane Eddy
    Hank Marvin
    Jeff Beck.....

14. Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix Strat-O-Master

I've tried and tried, but i have a terrible voice :mad:

15. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

I've heard Hank sing on TV, he can hold a tune perfectly well.