Tele bridge differences..

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Just got this oddball Squier Tele, came with the more modern bridge, and also the old-style one. Can anyone tell me (before I change it out), if the old-style bridge affects the string spacing? Or if there are advantages to either? Thanks!

Attachments

• 4B0510B0-E044-4AC0-88DE-1E9BA730EB5A.jpeg
    4B0510B0-E044-4AC0-88DE-1E9BA730EB5A.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 24
  • ED85C974-8D68-45A4-AFB4-B29012987B92.jpeg
    ED85C974-8D68-45A4-AFB4-B29012987B92.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 24

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Don't know about the string spacing but I suspect not. I think the primary difference would be getting it intonated. The old style 3 barrels ones make it problematic. Compensated saddles make it a little better and the six barrel saddles require another bridge but also solve that issue.

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
try it, Only way to know for sure.

never had an issue with a traditional tele bridge and intonation. Guess I am super lucky or something?
and that’s all I run, never had the six type , they just look off to me.
tone wise I have no idea. Again I use the traditional tele bridges in all tele’s. Brass saddles for 50s blackguard style, and steel threaded for 60s style.
do the mounting screws line up? Or do you have to drill new?

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
What @Baelzebub said. No impact to string spacing, intonation needs to be done by compromise for each saddle. Compensated barrels reduce the amount of compromise required.

If your tolerance for perfect intonation is low, stick with the 6 saddles.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Barrel saddles are more challenging to intonate, +1 if you're locked in a hyper intonation frenzy then stay with the six style.

Barrel saddles allow for a wider range of adjustments (more string gauge choices)

Some bridges do not swap directly, a few Fender model releases had problems with the bridge being in the wrong location from the factory (mini-recall scenario).

6-Barrel style saddles rattle, but six block style are fine

Some players think they can hear a difference in tone (going as far as steel on bass strings and brass on treble strings). It's all in their head, hearing with their eyes, blindfolded they can't tell.

Some players want a guitar 'Like Leo Intended' (appearance).

Some players put Tele saddles on their Jazzmasters (usually the intonated and grooved ones).

You can buy intonated barrel saddle sets for under $10 on ebay/amazon, or could, might be a bit more these days.

Buzzgrowl

Strat-O-Master
Oct 26, 2018
Switzerland
Body through string holes may be in the wrong place.

Measure the distance between those and the pickup hole on the bridge plate. If it's the same, it might fit. I would not bet on it, though.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
What @Baelzebub said. No impact to string spacing, intonation needs to be done by compromise for each saddle. Compensated barrels reduce the amount of compromise required.

If your tolerance for perfect intonation is low, stick with the 6 saddles.
Great advice; thanks a lot!

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
I like the modern bridge specifically because it doesn’t have the raised edges. That bit of a traditional bridge is uncomfortable to me.

String spacing shouldn’t be any different.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Some players think they can hear a difference in tone (going as far as steel on bass strings and brass on treble strings). It's all in their head, hearing with their eyes, blindfolded they can't tell.
I'm one of them. I admit it takes a while to swap out a saddle, and usually you change strings at the same time. Perhaps I simply misremember the sound, and want to hear a difference. None of us is immune to that.

I have one Tele with steel barrels, and another with brass. Perhaps I will waste a couple strings on experimentation, swap a saddle and set it up with two sets of b and e strings. Then if I hear a difference in sound, with the same strings tuned the same, on the same guitar--that means it's really there.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
I'm one of them. I admit it takes a while to swap out a saddle, and usually you change strings at the same time. Perhaps I simply misremember the sound, and want to hear a difference. None of us is immune to that.

I have one Tele with steel barrels, and another with brass. Perhaps I will waste a couple strings on experimentation, swap a saddle and set it up with two sets of b and e strings. Then if I hear a difference in sound, with the same strings tuned the same, on the same guitar--that means it's really there.
You and Eric Johnson. You’re in good company

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Post pics of the guitar! It appears to look A LOT like the 'T-style' on my Hard Rock Cafe keychain that my little sister got for me last year in New Orleans. I'll post a pic in a few.

Edit: here it is. Oddly enough, you can't find it online anywhere. So I got mine out and took a pic

20221002_015628.jpg

Last edited:

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
I like the modern bridge specifically because it doesn’t have the raised edges. That bit of a traditional bridge is uncomfortable to me.

String spacing shouldn’t be any different.

You can get vintage bridges without those. I know because I've been looking for one to replace mine so I'll stop hitting the one closest to the high E string. I found one with a single corner ground down like I need, but as I said, they also have vintage plates which have both sides removed.

They also have vintage plates that have been cut down for humbuckers, which will get you the same result: no raised edges under your palm. This one is a Fender vintage-style, 3 barrel bridge plate without sides.

14883526.jpg

I like this one, with one corner ground back, but not for $80. I'll buy another Wilkinson plate for $20 and modify it exactly like that before I buy that for $80. That was the plan before I found this Joe Barden bridge from Allparts, anyway.

Screenshot_20220930-063401_Chrome.jpg

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Post pics of the guitar! It appears to look A LOT like the 'T-style' on my Hard Rock Cafe keychain that my little sister got for me last year in New Orleans. I'll post a pic in a few.

Edit: here it is. Oddly enough, you can't find it online anywhere. So I got mine out and took a pic

View attachment 596149
I started another thread called, “NGD! An oddball to be sure.” There’s pics of it there (if you’re interested…)

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
They say the ashtray bridge accounts for alot of the tele sound. Not sure if thats true or not.
I thought an ashtray bridge would be torture on my hand but I was wrong. I have a traditional tele and a stratatele both with ashtrays and I dont even know they are there when playing.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
They say the ashtray bridge accounts for alot of the tele sound. Not sure if thats true or not.
I thought an ashtray bridge would be torture on my hand but I was wrong. I have a traditional tele and a stratatele both with ashtrays and I dont even know they are there when playing.
Thanks very much; I’ll likely stay with the modern bridge..more versatile, but i was wondering if the vintage ashtray style affect string spacing…..

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
The Teles that I have are the Monoprice Retro Classic. The plate is a Player MiM like flat chrome with the 6 independent saddles. Strung thru 2021 bodies, I thought about swapping the 3 barrel vintage with the ashtray cover. After a few moments I realized that the 2 bridges have different screw patterns & plate lengths, even pickup locations relative to the string thru locations. Might just be easier to drill a hole in between & get barrel saddles, adjusting screws & springs ? And that's when I realized, the guitar is designed as it was. Leave it alone Jimbo99, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Thanks very much; I’ll likely stay with the modern bridge..more versatile, but i was wondering if the vintage ashtray style affect string spacing…..
It could I guess if the strings start movin around. But mine are setup so the string is just barely away from the height adjustment screw. And they have stayed there.
I will post pics of it and my ibanez AZS which is a unique twist on the tele bridge.

Riderock

Strat-Talker
May 27, 2020
Ontario
The screw holes on my Squier didn't quite line up with a Fender bridgeplate but the string holes did. Everything on the front of the body was crooked. Doweled and redrilled all but 1 bridge and 1 control plate screw holes. 20220721_231444.jpg