Tele Forums?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by jbylake, Apr 5, 2021.

1. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Once you're able to get back in, be sure to start a thread on Joe Bonamassa and a thread on the Beatles. They love that.

2. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Damn, a secret handshake? Now I have to get in.:D:D

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Without comment, these are the stats I have collected for sites where I'm a member. Over time, it tells me a bit of a story for each site. For context, I've not been reprimanded or disciplined by a mod on any of these sites.

TDPRI, member since 2005, in my 16th year there
    Strat-Talk, member since 2016, in my 5th year there
    Squier-Talk, member since 2017, in my 4th year there

By year: The site, it's member count, the number of members I have on ignore.

TDPRI 139,508 7 ignores
    Strat-Talk 72,544 16 ignores
    Squier-Talk 17,304 4 ignores

TDPRI 140,286 7 ignores
    Strat-Talk 73,053 16 ignores
    Squier-Talk 17,304 4 ignores

TDPRI 142,691 12 ignores
    Strat-Talk 75,827 25 ignores
    Squier-Talk 18,647 7 ignores

4. archetype

Popcorn?!? That wasn't in the information packet. :( I'll be speaking to someone about this.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  5. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

TDPRI is OK I guess, but the real action is in the "after-forum". To get there you need a credential to get past the bouncers at the velvet rope...

6. archetype

As Richie Millennium says at 13d.org "Those velvet ropes are there for a reason."

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

What are those stats supposed to tell us?

Total members doesn't mean amount of active members. I don't get what type of story those stats tell about those sites, since it's based on your first hand experience and subjective opinion about the people you've come across with on those sites.

Stonetone and Heavyriff like this.
  8. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

Handsome McClane likes this.
  9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

What now?

Handsome McClane and bsman like this.
  10. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I just looked, I've been a member at TDPRI since 2009, posted 2,223 times, and I have 11 - yes, 11 - likes. Haven't really posted since early 2016, though, so I suspect I stopped visiting before the "like" button went live. Or maybe I'm just not well-liked, who knows.

TDPRI was the first guitar forum I signed up for, when I was getting back into Teles after a long hiatus from them. Then I joined up here, and eventually just stopped going to TDPRI. Never had a bad experience over there, but from what I hear, it's changed a lot in the last several years.

11. archetype

There isn't a way to discern the % of active members on any of the sites, but it seems to be a very, very small % of total membership. Assuming the same % for each, it's likely that Squier-Talk has the least, TDPRI has the most, and Strat-Talk is in-between

Across all 3 sites there has been a bigger than usual increase in the number of new members from whenever I counted stats in 2020 to right now in 2021. Accompanying this has been an uptick of members (Edit: Both new and old members) who have been pointlessly argumentative and pointedly difficult in threads, to the benefit of none. The biggest increase in this, by the way I measure, has been here. I like this excellent place filled with excellent people, but IMO there has been more boorish behavior lately.

I go back to my stats when I see people complain about this, that, or the other site. It's subjective, because "ignores" are my reactions to people who pour sand in the machinery of positive contributors, but it's as close to objectivity as I can get for myself.

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Well again those stats don't say much, I used to work in market research as account manager, handling the b2b contact and hiring staff and educating. You're leaving lots of variables and the outcome is based on one person's subjective experience with other people in those forums, that being you.

You should try MLP, spend two weeks there and you'll realize that it's not an uptick of pointlessly argumentative people in forums such as this one. But rather how the forum is managed.

You got lot more free rein at MLP and you're allowed to joke more freely about stuff. But the place is run like a tight ship, the admins are lot more involved. You see the presence of admins in loads of threads. They can be your friend or your enemy, you pick.

If someone is out to be pointlessly argumentative or even trolling, they let that person run free to a certain limit. They let them make a fool of themselves in the thread, and eventually ban them. It's great fun.

Unlike here or tdpri, where everything is sanitized and slightest misstep, wrong word, wrong joke can get you banned. Even have others banned. There's no sense of leadership or connection to the mods nor sense of their presence. Over here, mods get in way too late in a thread, they dont have time to read all the posts so they close the thread or often delete it immediately. If there was anything of value said in that thread, it's now lost. This is why there tends to be lots of threads where people ask "Why did my thread got locked or deleted" here. Continuing a circle of locked/deleted threads.

And they're all owned by the same guy. So it's not even the guy, it's the environment of the forum and the mods that dictate it IMHO.

Why do they let trolls or argumentative people have their run over at MLP? Well it drains the energy out of the conversion, once it's locked and someone banned there won't be another thread popping up asking Why, Why, Why? And of course great fun, there's lots of jokes being made and people usually have fun.
    And also, sometimes it's good to headbutt, some people need to vent and get it off their chest, they immediately realize their mistake if they've committed one, and usually they apologize and never do it again.

13. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

They must have lapsed. Or perhaps the mods and admins have me on an Ignore list. I didn't have a proper tele when I joined. Still don't. Not to speak about a gold plated one.

14. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I just jumped over there and I'm able to post. I didn't but the field is there.

15. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

It might take a couple days for your access to be opened. Not sure why.

Despite what people are saying, there is nothing wrong with TDPRI, and I find it to be no different at all from Strat-Talk. They are the same.

Scribblesomething and PBO Blues like this.
  16. summer69

summer69 Strat-Talker

Until then hang out at Strat-talk and start a thread about John Mayer :)

dbb541 likes this.
  17. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

Long time member of TDPRI and I’ve managed to dodge controversy, but I will say that I sometimes detect a certain undercurrent there which I can’t mention due to the rules of this forum. Let’s just say there are a lot of old school country music fans there, not surprising given that it’s a Tele forum, after all.

18. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

I have a ton of people on ignore at TDPRI. I only have 1 on ignore here.

archetype likes this.
  19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I'd use much stronger language.

I've never been treated in person the way he treated me via email.

In person...It'd be a different story.

Cowards thrive on The internet. In real life...they run.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

ive been a member there for quite some time, but havent posted in awhile.
    i have nothing bad to say....you have cool people and jack wagons(i just learned this word recently) everywhere.
    and like @fezz parka says, the jack wagons definitely would not say to my face what they say sitting safely behind a screen.