Tele GAS

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Blue Beagle, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

So I'm looking hard for a Tele in Butterscotch or Blonde.

Not too fussed whether it's MIA, MIM, MIJ.

Stumbled across this on eBay...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264896989101

Thoughts anyone? I'm not as clued up on Telecasters as I am Strats (although that ain't saying much!).

Neck looks to be a genuine MIM, bridge plate stamped Fender also.

Legit?

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  2. Blue Beagle

Serial no. seems to start with MZ2 which puts it from 2002

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

That looks great. Welcome to the world of Teles. They are magical.

they’re similar to strats in ways, yet very different. Every guitarist needs one, imo.

dante1963 and Blue Beagle like this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I agree that every guitarist needs a tele, especially if he or she loves the strat.

I'm not too sure about the one you posted. Blurry pics, no visible serial, the case is certainly not something that ever went with a Mex, very very low price, and I can't recognize the model with that finish + the button string tree. FWIW: "mex 51" is not a model I know. Mexican replicas of old-style teles are Classic, Road Worn, Baja (Classic Player), Vintera… Personally, I'd stay away.

Leaving that tele alone for a moment, maybe tell us what you like in a tele so we can make recommandations.

- What neck profile, radius and frets? Base yourself on your preferences in a strat. Neckwise – same beast;
    - What general appointments and tones: vintage, modern …? Or is it the same?
    - To my ears teles come in two varieties sound-wise: beefy and wiry (or "twangy"). You can get both from any decent tele, but they tend to have a certain propensity. For instance my AV 52 is "beefy", while my AV64 is wiry ;D
    - What finishes do you like? Restricting it to BSB limits your choice a great deal… "Blonde" would already open more possibilities…
    - What budget? Squier CV teles are already great and cost little. Classic Series cost a little more and are lovely. Bajas are a classic… You don't have to break the bank to get a very good tele.

Sorry for the over-enthusiastic post… teles have that effect on me :D

EDIT: it could be a Classic 50s tele with an aftermarket hard-shell case, even though the color is a lot yellower than anything I've seen. If so, great deal. But before doing anything, I'd request a clear picture of the serial number and run it through Fender's database: https://start.fender.com

Blue Beagle and dante1963 like this.
  5. Blue Beagle

Yeah that's why I've started the tread, seems a great price and the case is the one that comes with the Am Pro Strats (or very similar) which is worth £140 new by itself!

I'm assuming (hoping) that it's a guy who's unfamiliar with guitars as he seems to have sold a few watches in the past!

Message sent to him anyway, hopefully he can clear some of the questions up!.

Even if it's a Partscaster I think I'd jump for that price!

As for what I'm looking for... Good question:
    Neck profile/rad/frets - I like a Modern C, any rad, medium or jumbo frets
    Sound - Twangy for sure
    Colour - BSB, blonde or at a push white!
    Price - Tops £700 so $900 or so. To my own detriment I'd prefer Fender on the headstock despite the savings a Squire would bring!

There's a couple of nice looking Lite Ash models from 2004 - 2006 available locally on Reverb and eBay that look good but a little undecided on the finish.

I like the look of the Vintera Roadworn Teles too but there's no stock over here until December (and it's a little more than I'd like to spend).

6. Blue Beagle

So after searching the serial number through Fender, apparently its a Baja?

The neck looks right but the pickguard and saddles aren't correct though.

Tempted as even if the body isn't genuine, I'd make it back on the neck alone (which appears to be legit) and case...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    nickmsmith likes this.
  7. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

Blue Beagle and nickmsmith like this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

A Baja for that price would be a steal. One of the very best models Fender has ever produced but the neck is a chunkier soft "V". Some love it (I'm one of them) and some do not.

But from a standpoint of pure value if I could confirm 100% that is indeed a Baja I'd jump on it and would myself if it was something I was looking for but I have 5 Teles now.

Also, the neck could always be swapped for a "C" profile neck and the Baja neck sold for more than the standard "C" profile neck would cost. It's rare to see them for sale.

Baelzebub and Blue Beagle like this.
  9. Blue Beagle

The more I look at the body, the more I notice.

No switch on top of knob, saddles wrong, switch tip (although minor) not right.

So tempting but I'm a cautious buyer lol.

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

If that's a Baja, jump on it. It has all the looks. I have a 2010 in the same dull blonde finish @Ebidis could tell you more.

The only thing that gives me concern is that when I blow up the photo of the serial number it appears that after the first letters and a digit or two, the following numbers appear to be handwritten? In pencil, maybe? Hard to say but it didn't look right under magnification.

But as I said, if you can confirm it's a Baja, jump on it. It should have the S1 switch and a 4 position pickup selector. It also came with a twisted tele pup in the neck and a Broadcaster in the bridge.

As I said, jump on it. Great guitar. Mine joined the ranks of my definite keepers as soon as I got it. Great guitar and at anything under $700 it's a deal. Most of the ones I"ve seen for sale are asking 800+

Blue Beagle likes this.
  11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

It's more likely a Classic Player Baja. I have one exactly like the one pictured. Same dull blonde finish, button string tree...

Welll Dayum..went to take another look and it's GONE! Hope the OP grabbed it.

Anyway, for future reference here's some pics of mine: (2012).

20200905_121542.jpg BODY.jpg PUPS.jpg 01414_b5Wj2w2dNst_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Blue Beagle and Stratbats like this.
  12. Blue Beagle

Someone beat me to that one but there were too many questions so I'm not sad that one jumped out of the net... Plenty more fish ;)

Could have been a diamond, could have been a turd lol

RadioFM74 and nuculer terrist like this.
  13. Blue Beagle

Lovely looking 2020 Player series up for sale at a chain of stores I've used before.

Cheeky email sent asking if they can do a bit better on price for a loyal and loving customer lol.

The used market is crazy on Reverb for Teles (even more so than Strats). Some people trying to sell at MRSP for a used Player series despite brand new ones being the same price, old MIM Stds listed for upwards of £500, Bajas up for the cost of what a new one used to cost, Lite Ash's for more than they ever retailed at!

14. Blue Beagle

The store got back to me and accepted my offer :)

2020 Player Telecaster in 5* condition with vintage style saddles installed by the previous owner (which is a feature I wanted) in my preferred colour and with my ideal neck spec delivered for less than £400 (with an extended returns period until Jan 2021).

I'm calling that a result :thumb:

Pic of actual guitar:
    PXP201004362721004-5706944f.jpg

nickmsmith likes this.
  15. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

That’s a beauty Beagle, congratulations!

Blue Beagle likes this.