Tele vs Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Jeffl, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

I recently picked up a Tele after playing mostly Strats for years. It's a Monoprice Tele, but I love it.
    I kind of feel like the Strat is the nice comfortable smooth sounding machine, and the Tele is kind of rude and trashy sounding, in a really good way. Of course the neck pickup is really dark so you can get a pretty lush smooth sound out of it too. The band I play in does a lot of Stones, and it works great for that, better than the Strat, and it works well for the Stray Cats stuff we do too, it's not a Gretsch but it has more of a 50's sound than the Strat to me. The Tele has a lot of range as far as going from really dark on the neck pickup to screaming treble on the bridge. Not that I'm much for screaming treble, I usually back the treble off on the amp and the guitar. I'm thinking about taking the tone control off the neck pickup though, I can't see wanting it any darker, and i always roll the tone off a bit on the bridge. Anyway I'm really enjoying it, not that I'm getting rid of my Strat or anything. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading the pickups, they sound pretty good to me.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

i think all that neck pickup darkness can be fixed with a combination of the right pots and caps and all that kind of thing. im no expert on it but many here are.

Stratoman10 and RB522 like this.
  3. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Welcome to the dark side ! Telecasters are great guitars, and are far more versatile than their simplistic layout would lead you to believe. It is most certainly worth it to experiment with pickups. I'm running a Texas Special in the neck of mine, and I'm very happy with the tone from it.

circles and BallisticSquid like this.
  4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Pickup height makes a huge difference.

Just screw the pickups down flush with the pickguard/ bridge plate and raise them one turn at a time until you find the sweet spot for both of them.

nuculer terrist likes this.
  5. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Seymour duncan vintage stacked tele w/push pull on two of my teles. But my cut and paste tele custom '72 has a dusenberg domino p90 in neck and that on gets the most use these days. The SDs are fantastic!

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  6. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

You gotta have a Tele, a Les Paul and a nice acoustic to compliment your Strats. :D

7. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Teles are the most versatile of all the models in my opinion. You can make them do pretty much anything..

8. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Gonna post a pic?

9. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

Raimonds likes this.
  10. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Awesome! Teles are great

Jeffl likes this.
  11. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

stratman323 likes this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I agree with the pickup comments above. I have a Bullet Squier Tele, and the neck pickup is very much like my Strat neck pickup, with lots of single-coil clean sound, not dark and muddy. It's a pretty low output pickup, which contributes to the brightness.

Actually, it might be worth trying a 500k audio taper volume pot to see if that brightens up the tone a bit. And while you're in there, if you get a pot with a push-pull switch you can have the option of both pickups in series.

johnnymg likes this.
  13. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

That's a pretty guitar!

I used to be a Tele and G&L ASAT player. I eventually moved to PRS humbucker guitars and Strats, with single coils. I guess what brought me back to Strats, was that I liked having a tremolo. I have my main Strats, with a floating Trem, and backups with a decked or blocked Trem. I also like the ease or swapping loaded pick guards. I found that Gretsch and Ric guitars, didn't work for me. But, I could set-up a pick guard with pickups and wiring that sounds jangly, and less like a typical Strat. But, you could probably do the same thing, with a Tele.

Jeffl likes this.
  14. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

Thanks, it does look pretty nice, but actually I ordered a blue one. They make a green one too, and the top is a quilted maple veneer, I think they just ran out of blue veneers, because mine is blue except for the top. I didn't really think about sending it back, because it was cheap and I really like it, especially the neck, it's fairly chunky and just fits my hand perfectly. The bridge and tuners are good too, and the jack plate looks like an electrosocket. I don't dislike the neck pickup at all, I just don't think i'll ever have the need to make it darker, so I probably will try wiring it for no tone control on that pickup.

enchantpth44 likes this.
  15. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

The ergonomics of a Tele never worked for me. They dig into my ribs, my forearm..the switch is in the wrong place and at the wrong angle, and the volume knob isn't where I want it. Other people love them, but hey, that is why we have different guitars. On my Strat, I have the middle position selecting the outside 2 pickups, so I can fake a Tele sound (if I ever needed it).

johnnymg likes this.
  16. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

I can't decide which, I have 11 Teles and 11 Strats, I guess I just like them both!

Namelyguitar and Jeffl like this.
  17. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Well...this one you can.

download.jpeg

18. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

For me a Tele is more "direct" than a Les Paul or a Strat. When I'm doing a session and get stuck I'll grab a Telecaster, It seems to help me focus better and get on with the job at hand.

If I was only allowed one guitar it would be a Telecaster with a WRHB in the neck. You can cover about any gig with one once you learn the neck-bend whammy technique.

And of course, nothin beats a nice clean slap-back on a Tele doing faux pedals, sixths and unisons for pure unadulterated fun playing.

OSA

Namelyguitar and fezz parka like this.
  19. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

You think that's enough?:whistling:

20. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

No, how could it be? But my Squier '51 might be a tie-breaker if I only could figure out which it is...