telecaster player with ss or HH , for metal advise

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by drugo, Jul 28, 2020.

1. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

Hi

i played in a band , and now we play porcupine trees , black sabbath and korn and other bands

I tought to buy a sunburst telecaster player , l like the neck

well for me it's a sacrilege a telecaster with 2 humbuckers ,I don't like even the strat with a humbucker bridge pickup

i own almost only fender love them all , well may I ask you an advise ?

seeing for some tracks I hade to play a PRS made in Korea 2003 or 2005 single cut with 2 humbuckers (by the way beautiful guitar , sunburst and crystal clean sound and amazing distortion )

i'm asking because on all my fender I changed the pickup , I love 54 neck , 54 middle and 60 bride , alnico 5 and alnico 3 , i have always to cut the high and increase the middle but i haven't obtained a distortion like

while the prs sounds amazing distortion like Sweet Leaf of master of reality , black sabbath

I would like to know if the tele mim player hh , does it sound crystal clean and really powerfull distortion ?

and if the single coils alnico 5 of the player can handle such rich distortion?

i have some problem to try it , because in these days fender does send guitars like 2019 ,even to the official resellers

thanks

Jesse414 likes this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Tele HH should do the trick. The sound depends more on your amp and settings, than on the type of humbucker you have in the guitar.

drugo likes this.
  3. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi

do you mean a tele player with single coil pickups does sound like 2 humbuckers ?
    for some track i have to play guitars with humbuckers to obtain such rich tone ,and with line 6 helix , and kemper
    no luck with my single coil guitar
    thanks

Jesse414 likes this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

I think humbuckers will be better for the style of music you were talking about.

drugo likes this.
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hummers for metal?
    Is that a law?
    Or---------
    In this case...
    Is it not truly...
    Shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers...
    ------------------
    Keeping in mind
    I don't understand metal...

drugo likes this.
  6. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

look , well porcupine tree the albums In Absentia,The Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair are more progressive rock , and well it's hard for me obtain the black sabbath master reality , the first track fat big distortion riff with my stratocaster

i have just asked if it's the case to have humbuckers , i have played gibosn sg and les paul , and i was able to obtain such tone , spent days with my strat without any luck

i'm just asking some advises , seeing i have never played a tele with 2 humbuckers

thanks

7. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I was in a similar situation. I love my Strats, but they didn't quite cut it for the really heavy stuff. So I picked up a cheap secondhand Blacktop Tele, which is HH. It's perfect. I ended up swapping the pickups for Gibsons, but that was due to the stock neck pickup being too muddy. From what I understand, the Player series humbuckers aren't as dark as the old Blacktop ones were.

And Teles can definitely be metal machines. Just ask Joe Duplantier from Gojira :D

drugo likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

You only really need a Tele Esquire-H for metal. .. Find a humbucker bridge guitar and put a blank pickguard.

I have a Blacktop Tele that I put in a split humbucker where the bobbins are controlled with a 4-way switch I added. I can get each bobbin separate, in parallel, or series humbucking. The pickup is 16kohms with a ceramic magnet so it can abuse amps. It covers a lot of tones. I also have a Jazzmaster I set up like a Junior with a wrap hard tail, bridge humbucker, master volume and tone -- simple.

[​IMG]

This Strat is a stealth Super Strat ... I can get classic Strat SSS tones from it or using the Armstrong Blender modded in there it blends up to a Super Strat HSH (12kohm series humbucking), but I can roll it back if the full humbuckers are too hot or thicken up the single coil. Easy to remember how the controls work too.

Or swap for a humbucker-only pickguard...

[​IMG]

Check out John 5 and Jim Root for their use of Telecasters gigging metal.

drugo likes this.
  9. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talk Member

The player HH has a push pull tone control to split the pups into single coils so best of both worlds?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Raphael256 and drugo like this.
  10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Can't you just be you?

drugo and Jesse414 like this.
  11. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi
    i haven't seen in the specs
    but could in a future replace the 2 humbuckers with 2 single coils?
    thanks

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

If you like how the player tele looks better with single coils you could just get that and then have one of the guys here wind you a nice hot bridge pickup. Bodean I think still winds pickups here and ive heard they rock. :)

13. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

A Strat with a single humbucker seems to deliver plenty of distortion. I hear this guy once played with Ozzy, so I'm guessing he probably could pull off Black Sabbath licks (live performance starts around the 2 minute point):

Jesse414 and drugo like this.
  14. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi
    i guess the telecaster sound is more twang (more treble) then the strat ,the only pickup singlecoil able to give such distortion are the ceramic in the old standard serie
    can you play with you telecaster single coil such distortion?
    thanks
    hi
    what do you mean ?
    replace the pickups ? which one?
    thanks

hi
    maybe are my setup of pickup , the have lots of treble ,few middle , very very low bass on every amp i have tried
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. Jesse414

Guitarfetish.com has these pickups for cheap you could put them in your guitar Screenshot_2020-07-29-01-39-32.png Screenshot_2020-07-29-01-40-37.png

drugo likes this.
  16. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi
    i don't know if i can find in Europe
    i will search
    thank you

Jesse414 likes this.
  17. Jesse414

Paging @Bodean You know alot about pickups and I was wondering if you could help drugo he wants to get a player tele but wants high output single coils to play Sabbath and Korn. Hes not sure if the stock alnico 5 pickups will work good.

drugo likes this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

Two more thoughts for you drugo.

Wire a nice clean/transparent pair of Tele single coils in series using a 4-way switch. If you aren't techy type have a tech type do it for you. It's a common mod for single coil Teles but avoid using higher output over wound versions.

What you end up with is both coils combining to become a hybrid humbucker of sorts without losing any clarity or an ability to go right back to using the same guitar in a more typical fashion.

In series the tone will be louder, darker, and thicker much like you might get from single humbucker. Of course which pickups you have will also influence the voicing you get but it's a simple mod for getting more versatility out of any single coil Tele.

Another option would be a slab body single cut Les Paul Jr. with a single P90 in the bridge position. Epiphone offers a very nice version for under $400 USD. That's a very effective combination for harder rock and even most metal. Crank it up and that guitar can get downright nasty overdrive and distortion.

drugo likes this.
  19. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Guitar Fetish also sell the quick plug “Little Killers” coil splittable blade humbuckers for Strats and Teles. I have a set in my pointy headstock Tele. Sounds great to me,. YMMV

In the end Generally I default to my LP for Humbucker metal madness. YMMV

@Blackmore Fan Jake e Lee new band Red Dragon Cartel has some tasty licks too. His guitar work in Badlands was stellar!

drugo and Bodean like this.
  20. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi
    i did know about the 4 way switch ,about Epiphone and Gibson , I don't like their neck , a prs with thin wide neck is better
    but have you played a tele hh ?
    thanks
    hi
    but i'm talking about the player hh , can i ask you if you own a tele with 2 humbuckers?
    thanks