Tell me . . .

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by cranky, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Agree 100%. If there was a 5th question asking which city you'd like to return to most, Tokyo (and Japan in general) is at the top of my list. We were planning on taking my daughter (who is a massive Japanophile) there as a college graduation gift but Covid ruined that. Eventually though we'll be back.

My company has an office in Singapore and I did get to visit there a couple of years ago. We ended up flying to Malaysia afterward and spent some time in Kuala Lumpur. Interesting city although now that I'm typing this, it's not one I'd likely return to. Same as you though, I'd like to hit many of the SE Asian countries.

CigBurn, cranky and sam_in_cali like this.
  2. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I spend as little time in cities as I possibly can. Can't stand 'em. I had to go to NYC one time. Whose idea was THAT mess?

3. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

any town or city in France.....

Mansonienne likes this.
  4. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-O-Master

1. What's your favorite foreign city you've been to? Zaragoza Spain

2. What's your favorite city outright that you've been to? Prestwick/Ayr, Scotland

3. What's your favorite city you've never been to, aka the one you most wanna check out? London

4. What city are you least interested in ever going back to? Bagram, Afghanistan

5. velvet_man

velvet_man Senior Stratmaster

1. What's your favourite foreign city you've been to?
    Edinburgh. I was lucky enough to live there for two years. It's got a great feel to it, tons of history everywhere you go, and it's beautiful.

2. What's your favourite city outright that you've been to?
    Montreal. It's an amazing city with a really cool mix of the old and new and some really bizarre thrown in for good measure. The culture is great and the people are friendly.

3. What's your favourite city you've never been to, aka the one you most wanna check out?
    I've been wanting to go to Tokyo forever, and after reading this thread I only want to go more now. We're planning to take the whole family and visit Nintendo land at some point when things are somewhat back to normal again (or when the kids can at least get vaccinated).

4. What city are you least interested in ever going back to?
    San Francisco. It's kind of funny how often this one pops up on this list. I just found it to be dirty and too crowded. I'm glad I went, but I don't need to go again.

sam_in_cali and guitarface like this.
  6. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Wow . . . $100 lol.

circles likes this.
  7. cranky

Military?

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I was supposed to be in Santa Cruz CA this weekend for a wedding...I should be there right now. Plans changed. There are a few places in Cali worth visiting, but none of them are cities.

9. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

1. What's your favorite foreign city you've been to? Its a toss up between Rome (the old city, spectacular ancient ruins), Florence, and Sevilla (best party town ever).

2. What's your favorite city outright that you've been to? (Galveston TX... honestly I don't know how I ended up writing that). I really can't say, I've visited several cities domestic and foreign over the years, and each a particular charm. Doesn't seem fair to pick one over the other.

3. What's your favorite city you've never been to, aka the one you most wanna check out? Is a toss up between Tokyo and Beijing

4. What city are you least interested in ever going back to? Its a toss up between Madrid and Caracas. I lived in Caracas for 15 years during a time when it was incredible, now its steep and steady decline makes it too sad a memory.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  10. cranky

I changed my mind about the last one.

Las Vegas is the city I least want to revisit. The newer City Center is ok, but otherwise that place is 100% not for me.

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

1. What's your favorite foreign city you've been to?

I've only been to Tijuana, Juarez, Edinburgh and Glasgow (though I was born in Japan, we left via AP-112, troop transport, USS General W.A. Mann only a year after I was born). Anyplace in Scotland would be better than Tijuana or Juarez...

2. What's your favorite city outright that you've been to?

I enjoy museums, thus Washington DC. NYC would be a fair runner-up. I've been to a lot of CONUS cities but I don't remember much about them (or I didn't see much). San Jose/Milpitas was nice. San Diego beaches were amazing when I was a kid (3-8). Too much like desert now...even though I liked El Paso/Alamogordo/White Sands. Nashville was never much fun, though I went there a lot (I think my old Ford Ranger could find Gruhn's by itself). I lived in Huntsville, AL for 55 yrs but I'm not particularly fond of it.

3. What's your favorite city you've never been to, aka the one you most wanna check out?

I'm not a city person, per se. If they have something interesting to go see, I'll go...but I'm not there for the city itself. I'd go to Tokyo...but would probably spend more time out in other areas.

4. What city are you least interested in ever going back to?

New Orleans. To be fair, we always enjoyed the Jazz and Heritage Festival...but that was pre-Katrina and nowhere near the French Quarter. Give me Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, New Iberia or Eunice! Birmingham, AL is just a ***** to drive thru, never been a destination for me. Same for Atlanta, GA.

12. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

1. Amsterdam, I was 29 and alone there for 24hr and had a blast — a quick personal getaway during a time when I was working in London for a month.
    2. Amsterdam — it WAS a blast
    3. Rome, it’s amazing that I haven’t been there yet
    4. Nothing comes to mind, each one has their own special thing about it, usually the people….can’t remember a time when I thought, “I can’t wait to get out of this city and never come back.”…and the only time I got arrested was in NYC and I LIVE HERE, still love this city, it would probably need to take a lot for me not to want to go back somewhere :D

13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

My favorite foreign city is Victoria BC.

My favorite city ever is still Victoria.

Favorite city I’ve never been to, but want to go is Mecca KSA. And yes they would let me in.

City I’m least interested in going back to is Buffalo New York.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

1. The only foreign city I've ever visited was Tijuana. So I guess that has to be my favorite, even though it kinda sucked.
    2. Portland, OR. Loads of great food and beer in Portland.
    3. Athens, Greece. I'd really like to walk around the acropolis.
    4. Atlanta, Georgia. No offense to anyone who lives there, but that is an UGLY city. Traffic there sucks too.

15. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Once was enough for me in Vegas too.

16. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

1. What's your favorite foreign city you've been to?

Boston was a highlight for me, I love the way they conserved their history while managing to keep up with the modern life. Looks like a better version of Montréal to me.

3. What's your favorite city you've never beenw to, aka the one you most wanna check out?

i need to go in Italia before I die. Weather it's Rome or Florence or Bologna, I just need to go eat a Spaghetti and drink a bottle of wine there.

What city are you least interested in ever going back to?

Baltimore felt like a negative place to me, something was off about this place...

Jovi17 and cranky like this.
  17. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-O-Master

Yep,
    Retired now 7 years.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

1. London closely followed by Paris.

2. I will say that my favorite domestic city would be Ft. Lauderdale. It's where I got married and it's so laid back that I can't help but relax there.

3. Rome. Lord willing, we will be going there next year.

4. Though it's way less than the population specified. My birth town. If I ever have to go back there again it would be to soon.

cranky likes this.
  19. cranky

Funny. I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and have no intention of ever setting foot in Florida again.

We all have our things.

20. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

- Vancouver
    - would like to visit NYC
    - least: anywhere in TX except Austin