Terry Kath playing "25 or 6 to 4" back in 1970 with Chicago.... OMG!

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
There's a Russian/Ukrainian band called Leonid and Friends that does Chicago (including CTA) and Kath proud these days. In fact, they've been featured on the Chicago website. The guitar player is a Kath devotee and has him down pat. Honestly, I think they're probably better than the current incarnation of Chicago themselves. If you check out the videos, keep an eye out for the seriously hot female singer that joined the group. The drummer (Igor) is a spectacular machine.

I have some familiarity with Chicago including the fact that our band covered them (I played B3 and piano/Fender Rhodes88) as contemporaries.

Last edited:

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Leonid and Friends. I was almost stunned when I came across them. Excellent group.
I think Leonid, the bass player, organized them to do just ONE song in a studio for him. That blossomed to the point where their covers have four and five million views, and they're still relatively unknown. They've done a couple of visits to the US recently (I'm not sure if they've been able to make their currently planned east coast visit). They're just as good in person. Ksenia showed up in a black catsuit. Now that's a visual. Their lead singer, the little guy that does the Cetera stuff, is involved with defending the Ukraine (I think he's from Kyiv). Hope he makes it out okay.

ButchA

Strat-Talker
I looked up that Russian group called Leonid & Friends. They are actually very serious, very skilled, musicians, hailing from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc....

These guys actually can play (AND SING) Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, and other 70's "horn bands" absolutely note for note!!! Better yet.... Not be all crazy acting or profiling or whatever it is, but.... Let me tell you... These Russian "MoFo's" can play! Holy {expletive}!!! o_O

Imagine yourself having to sing "CKAHF KDKLALF DKAHJF FKAKHF WOURKD CKLCXKLA...." and you have absolutely no idea (W)hiskey (T)ango (F)oxtrot you are actually singing, but to the native ears (USA = English language), we can hear it absolutely clear as a bell, just like Robert Lamm or Peter Cetera or Terry Kath originally sang the song in English! That right there takes amazing skill!! :cool:

IMMusicRulz

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Terry Kath was one of the greatest guitarists ever. The guy clearly knew what he was doing once he plugged in his SG and his Tele. Being a Hendrix fan, Terry also made some good use of a Strat through a Dunlop pedal. Even Hendrix was quite surprised and admitted that Terry was way better guitarist than him.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I looked up that Russian group called Leonid & Friends. They are actually very serious, very skilled, musicians, hailing from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc....
They're also certifiable crazies, as anyone who spends a meal in a diner with them will soon find out.

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
52 year old rerun for me. I was there when it came out. Never gets old for moi.

Glad you discovered what real talent & musicianship gets you.

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
I just discovered that Tanglewood video from 1970 of Chicago, including 25 or 6 to 4. Absolutely awesome to see Terry Kath get a chance to wail like that-he was just a fantastic player! But what often gets overlooked is his singing voice – he had such an amazing soulful voice that he was called “the white Ray Charles “! Check out the vocals on “Make Me Smile”, especially on the chorus. Just oozes soul!

ButchA

Strat-Talker
It’s a damn shame that he blew his brains out.
So true.... 100% proof that firearms and alcohol DO NOT mix, as you all know the story from January 1978, out in California.

"Terry Kath and the guys were hanging out, at one of the Roadie's apartments. Terry Kath was a gentle "firearms enthusiast" as it was documented. They were partying, getting drunk, dabbling in a little this 'n that... And tragically, Terry Kath started waving his 9mm handgun around, and the guys all told him to put it away. Terry Kath (drunk out of his mind) pressed the magazine release, ejecting the loaded mag. But he failed to remember he still had a live round in the chamber. His famous last words were: "What's the matter? You think I'm gonna blow my brains out?" and proceeded to hold his 9mm up to his temple and squeezed the trigger. BOOM.... The world lost an amazing guitar player, and, Chicago as a band, was never the same."

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
So true.... 100% proof that firearms and alcohol DO NOT mix, as you all know the story from January 1978, out in California.

"Terry Kath and the guys were hanging out, at one of the Roadie's apartments. Terry Kath was a gentle "firearms enthusiast" as it was documented. They were partying, getting drunk, dabbling in a little this 'n that... And tragically, Terry Kath started waving his 9mm handgun around, and the guys all told him to put it away. Terry Kath (drunk out of his mind) pressed the magazine release, ejecting the loaded mag. But he failed to remember he still had a live round in the chamber. His famous last words were: "What's the matter? You think I'm gonna blow my brains out?" and proceeded to hold his 9mm up to his temple and squeezed the trigger. BOOM.... The world lost an amazing guitar player, and, Chicago as a band, was never the same."

I lost a friend the same way. It’s not loaded see?