THANKS TO ALL! Anyone else think this neck looks a little off?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Baelzebub, Dec 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

upload_2020-12-27_21-29-12.jpeg

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Interesting..on that Tele the string tree is placed much more towards the posts. Again, that's a CS and these are MIM/Player "Custom Shop Designed"...so that's probably the difference. Same with the curve..less pronounced on the CS, so I see where you were coming from.

StummerJoe likes this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

The low E and A are at a wonky angle. Should be nearly straight.

The tuner holes, headstock shape and nut in its relative position do not line up correctly. That chunk of machined maple is a reject imwo. Where was QC? Sorry... how I see it.

NiteGoat, mfranzdorf and Baelzebub like this.
  4. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

That's a Fullerton AV, right? '83 or so? Don't compare to the Baja... it's a different animal.
    The headstock shape, logo, and string tree position all look fine.
    Buy it, play it, love it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Baelzebub and Ebidis like this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

No, it's a Baja. He and I have already talked about it privately earlier today, that's how I know what it is. And it is all correct for a Baja.

StummerJoe and rafasounds like this.
  6. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Ah, OK.... my bad.

Ebidis likes this.
  7. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Is there a serial number on it? Is it advertised as a Classic 50d model or a Baja? Or something totally different? Headstock doesn’t look bad to me except for the nut, which seems to be cut poorly as others said. What’s the asking $?

8. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

Agreed. The nut looked off as well. It should all fall into place with a properly cut nut.

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Yeah...serial checks out as a Classic Player Baja..2016. I've got him down to around $550.

10. Baelzebub

Don't be. I asked for opinions. I'm not one of those who only wants to listen to people who validate me. thanks.

StummerJoe and StratoMutt like this.
  11. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

The only issue by I can see is the low E nut slot is about 1-1.5mm too close to the edge... Doesn't sound much but makes a significant difference on a 42mm nut. You can see the gap between the low E and A at the nut is noticeably bigger than the gaps between all the other strings.

While it's not as bad, the high E is a tad too close to the edge as well. There should be 2.7-3mm space between the E strings and the edge of the nut/fretboard. The space on the low E side looks to be about 1.5mm and on the high E maybe a little over 2mm.

I think these nut issues, which are a fairly cheap fix, are making everything else look askew.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Yes, all I see is the (almost compulsory it would seem) badly cut MIM nut.

Ebidis and stratocarlster like this.
  13. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

I had this originally with my brand new Acoustasonic. The store has a certified Fender repair tech. All he did was to move the nut closer towards the low E. That helped somewhat, but the Fender nut was still wrong, as was the neck alignment. The thing about the nut and the bridge is all about the physics and angles. I added the pics of the original nut, on top of the new nut. Not only was the original nut, cut wrong, but it was also too high, making the first fret to Barr a F chord, a pain. You can slo see how it would "fall" off the edge for the high E. This is why I prefer to not have the store fix my gear, when I know a very trustworthy and reasonable tech, even if the store would fro the repair at no cost to me. My tech, fixed fret sprout, filed bullet tip ends, aligned the neck and put in a new nut for $125- something I am sure the store would not have done.

IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

Michael919 likes this.
  14. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

This is a Fender Baja Tele, I'm 100% certain. I have one. The 12th fret dots are closer together like a pre-52 broadcaster. The neck alignment doesn't look too bad to me. Might be a hair off but we can't be sure from these pictures. Fortunately my Baja is the most perfect guitar that has ever come out of Ensenada (in my opinion of course :D)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    CigBurn likes this.
  15. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

This is my Baja. Well cut nut, very good alignment. Perfection to me.
    The lower edge of the headstock going inwards almost flush with the high E is characteristic of them.

IMG_2667.JPG IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2669.JPG

16. Baelzebub

They're great guitars. Those pickups are the best Tele setup I've ever heard. I actually have one that it looks like someone attempted to relic to look like a roadworn...go figger. This one is cosmetically perfect. The small stuff I'm willing to fix. And now I can work on the cosmetics on the other one and not worry about having one to play. Think I might try one of those skins. Maybe a nice rattlesnake motif.

rafasounds likes this.
  17. Baelzebub

That's a beauty man. Thanks for posting it so I could do a side by side. The low E slot is indeed cut a bit off on this one, but for the price I'm paying I can put a new nut on it. Might as well go with Tusq. Might even buy a few cheap ones and try my hand at it. No time like the present to learn and I can always have my tech cut the Tusq nut.

stratocarlster and rafasounds like this.
  18. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It's a Baja (with the S1 swtch). I see nothing wrong with it and I've owned (and still own) Teles with both American and Mexican vintage style necks. The only differences between the Mim 1951 neck I currently have and my old AO52 is the rolled fingerboard edges, and the nut finish.

The strings may be out of alignment but sometimes even that is just an optical illusion from a photograph.

I wish people would restrain from stating "it's a fake!" all the time unless they know better.

19. Skrofhyrguitarism

Skrofhyrguitarism Strat-Talker

The neck very well maybe outta whack...however, I recently purchased a new Fender FMT Tele that presented the same issues (on line purchase), poor string alignment. I took it to a good luthier to see what he thought. He quickly agreed that it appeared to be the nut. He chose a bone nut, cut it and completed the install. It was a string alignment issue...now the little $800 guitar plays surprisingly well...great action, and the pickups sound much better.

rafasounds likes this.
  20. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Newb eyes, newb question.

Is it possible a previous owner may have had a nut cut to increase string spacing, because he had stumpy sausage fingers?

Nadnitram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.