Thanksgiving

Stratbats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2018
WV
We haven't seen any wild turkeys in the yard, but last night I chased a quite large deer out. And the pigeons... Shall I mention the pigeons? The entire pigeon population in town has moved into our back yard. It's like a scene out of The Birds...

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
Well, the turkey is back, she hung around our house all day, on the roof in the backyard.
She is all tuckered in for the night in the maple tree in my backyard. Now I don’t mind, I just have to be very careful before I let the 65 lbs dog outside.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Well, the turkey is back, she hung around our house all day, on the roof in the backyard.
She is all tuckered in for the night in the maple tree in my backyard. Now I don’t mind, I just have to be very careful before I let the 65 lbs dog outside.

Trust me, better a turkey than a skunk. Got my lab sprayed a few years back...what a F^&ing mess she made coming back in the house and spreading that smell all over the walls and furniture !

Took us over 2 months to get rid of the lingering roadkill smell in the house !:mad:

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
The dog got skunked this summer. You need to have 5 bottles of peroxide on hand

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
The dog got skunked this summer. You need to have 5 bottles of peroxide on hand

LOL wonder would have happened to a black lab once wash with peroxide... for some reason image of Platinum Blondes comes to mind.

We used a product called deskunk, recommended by our vet. We could mix it in water to wash the walls and furniture as well as shampoo for the dog.

At the end we realised that putting a cap in our laundry loads for a few weeks also help. That smell got stuck in everything...

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
I am a chemist, the stinky stuff is a sulfur compound, peroxide and/ or bleach will oxidize the sulfur, killing the smell .
There is a recipe on the web, about a litre of peroxide, small scoop of sodium bicarbonate and dish washing soap.
Before I knew this, I used bleach, at the rate of about a cup in a bucket , which is ok I had a vet make me soak my dogs paw in such a mixture, I had my hand in there rubbing the wound. Just rinse carefully after, avoid the eyes. And no, it will not bleach the color of your dog
Bleach works great to wash stinky stuff, clothes etc....

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
I am a chemist, the stinky stuff is a sulfur compound, peroxide and/ or bleach will oxidize the sulfur, killing the smell .
There is a recipe on the web, about a litre of peroxide, small scoop of sodium bicarbonate and dish washing soap.
Before I knew this, I used bleach, at the rate of about a cup in a bucket , which is ok I had a vet make me soak my dogs paw in such a mixture, I had my hand in there rubbing the wound. Just rinse carefully after, avoid the eyes. And no, it will not bleach the color of your dog
Bleach works great to wash stinky stuff, clothes etc....

Went through the same with one of my dogs. She got her nail stuck in the patio screen rail following me while I was closing it. She panicked and pull the entire nail off. Vet recommendation was to soak it in mixture of water and bleach.

I'll take your word on the "sulfur compound" statement, i'm no chemist... but I visited Soufriere in St-Lucia and sulfur smell like bad eggs... skunk to me is closer to the smell of pepper spray when fresh !

tubedude

Strat-O-Master
Mar 18, 2015
Golfcity, Ga
We haven't seen any wild turkeys in the yard, but last night I chased a quite large deer out. And the pigeons... Shall I mention the pigeons? The entire pigeon population in town has moved into our back yard. It's like a scene out of The Birds...
I'll bet most folks would prefer the taste of the pigeon over wild turkey.