the 60's

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by SonOfLerome, Nov 9, 2020.

1. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Did any of you guys live through the 60's? What was your favorite thing about those years? What's changed the most? The 21st century seems so over-stimulated.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    rolandson and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I was born in 1960. I was busy being a little kid. I got Chicken Pox. That was fun

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

boring is good.

21st century has been far from boring, with many events that are best not discussed here, from late 2001-present day. but every era has its craziness, whether it be for the better or worse of humanity.

Billy Joel could have one heck of a "We Didn't Start the Fire Pt. 2" with everything that's happened since the early 90s.

Bottom line: Every era is someone's "Good Ol' Days," while it's also the worst time of others' lives. No exception to that, I guess.

At some point, there will be people looking back fondly on 2020... hard to believe, but they will.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  4. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Same here! Oh and had my tonsils out.

I remember the first Moon landing. :thumb:

index.jpg

5. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

My mantra for a while now (and not just because of this spectacularly crappy year, either) is "God, I HATE the 21st Century."

And I do. Everything single thing about it. Our insane over-reliance on technology at the top of the heap. And a buncha stuff not to be mentioned here just below.

The only thing I can think of that is genuinely better now is television. We are in the true Golden Age of TV.

My memories of the 60's are scant, since I was born in 1963. But, if nothing else, the music was way better.

6. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

The music and cartoons.

7. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I was happy to get rid of my diapers.
    Born in 1959 and I do remember the moon landing, had a moon map on my wall and a LEM model

8. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Tonsillectomy’s in the 60’s must have been a thing .
    Mine were removed also .
    Hmmmm :confused:

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

They used to cut them out as a first resort, a lot of times. It happened a lot up through the 80s too, If I remember right. I guess they finally realized they were doing it, excessively, for not enough reason.

rolandson, abnormaltoy, duzie and 2 others like this.
  10. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I was born in 1960 as well. I developed bronchitis as a baby, and they yanked my tonsils out when I was only 18 months old!
    Watching the moon landing and reading books about airplanes and test pilots is why I eventually became an Mechanical Engineer and came to Seattle to work at the fabulous Boeing Company. And yeah, I got chicken pox from my sister.

11. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

I'm 67 now, it's all a blur, was at Woodstock though, and that is really a blur

12. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I remember wearing my first pair of Beatle boots.....that I had to pay for out of my own money, as per my father.....

I remember being the first one on the block to wear bell bottoms.....and sandals.....and getting my rear end kicked in a few times because of it.....

I remember nuclear drills in school.....heck we had Nike rockets lined up on the shore of Lake Michigan about a mile from our house...

I remember the Kennedy assassination to clearly.....

Obviously I remember The Beatles on Ed's show.....they were the ones that got me started....

I remember the MLK riots on the west side and the '68 riots during the Dem convention....

Yeah good times....life was so simple....every Sunday during the summer heading up to the German Club at Lake Villa or sleeping out on the rocks during the summer (no A/C) along Lake Michigan (right by the aforementioned Nike base)....Cubs games during the day and then off to the southside for a White Sox game at night....

You know the song....Saturday in the Park.....pretty much life in the 60's.....:thumb::thumb:

13. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I was 15 and going to Protest in Washington D.C. 1967. The music scene was fantastic and didnt cost much and free alot of times. Coffie Houses with live acts, The cloths cold be a show in its self. OP art. Bali High and Boones Farm. A good amount of Free thought exchange. That is one part I remember about that time. [​IMG] I also grew up close to Goddard Space flight center where they launched weather satellites into orbit 1960 [​IMG] Or the TV shows 1963 [​IMG]

14. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Born in 57 so wasn't really interested in "what was happening" in the 60's.

abnormaltoy and SonOfLerome like this.
  15. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

Seeing a man get shot to death on live TV, even if it was a bad man, was pretty shocking to me as a seven year old.

16. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

I managed to live through the entire decade with my tonsils intact. Even though I got tonsilitis once/year from age 6 through about age 16. I still have them.

17. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Seriously? Riots , CoVid, Trump. Just the US is exciting as it's ever been.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

My favorite thing was how music and more specifically rock and r&b thrived and how we were able to form bands, play that same music we loved, book gigs each week, and get paid for our work. It was magical.

And if anyone thinks the 21st century is boring with all of the toys, social media, entertainment option, etc you all have at your fingertips now then my guess is you would have been even more bored during the '60s and maybe even suicidally depressed.

Boring......:rolleyes: LMAO.

19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Dad worked there in the '60s. I don't think anything was ever actually launched at Goddard. It's in the DC suburban area. Spacecraft were designed there, but launched at other places like Wallop's Island, at VA's Eastern Shore. He worked on some of the GEOS weather satellites you mentioned. (Geodetic Earth Orbiting Satellite)

abnormaltoy likes this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Musically:
    I saw The Beatles, Joe Pass, Hendrix, Andre Segovia, Airplane, Itzhak Perlman, Vanilla Fudge, Miles Davis, Cream, The Monkeys (I had to, my little sister wanted to go and my dad made me...it was terrible), Janis Joplin, Buffalo Springfield, Sly And The Family Stone, Grand Funk, James Gang...and a bunch of others.

Culturally:
    I saw humans reach the moon, brothers of classmates come home from Asia in boxes, duck and cover and air raid drills, Civil Rights become a thing, the murder of a president, and his brother, and that of a man wanting only equality, and a whole bunch of other s*** good and not so good.

But to call the here and now boring? Ahh...have you looked outside lately?