the 60's

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by SonOfLerome, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-O-Master

Born 41..started playing guitar 57..Yes I was there in the 60s before the Beatles.. Stones. Etc etc made it...exciting times with new discoveries musical and otherwise happening regularly.
    I remember the Cuban missile crisis and exactly where I was and how I heard the news when President Kennedy was killed.
    I was fortunate enough to meet many of the top musical ,sports and showbiz personalities of the time so I have a lot of memories of the 60s

High points??...Getting married in 63 (still married to the same lovely lady).....Daughter being born (our first)late 65.and England winning the World cup in 66.
    Biggest change???..IMHO people were much more tolerant of others different opinions than they are now

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

there were a lot less snowflakes beck then.

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I was born in 1956. The 60's were pretty cool, but I think I preferred the 70's. Better prog rock. Though The Court of the Crimson King was pretty awesome.

4. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Born in '55, with twin brothers born in '49, so I was exposed to a lot of stuff at an early age.

The quality of music recording was much better in the 60's. (We've been trading sound quality for convenience ever since 8-track tapes). And I'll submit that a lot of the art in music back then has since been replaced by the business aspect.

I remember anxiously awaiting the release of an artist's newest album and then poring over the liner notes while listening to the LP several times in a row.

And concerts were MUCH less expensive. I have an original poster from Bill Graham's first New Year Bash: Two nights: Friday, December 30, 1966 and Saturday December 31, 1966.

Friday: Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, and Quicksilver Messenger Service
    9:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m., $2.50.

Saturday: Same three bands, 9:00 p.m. - 9:00 a.m. with breakfast, $5.00.

Today (not counting Covid) a New Year's Concert is $200 or more!

And we had The Beatles.

Now get off my lawn!

Bill, tgo

5. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Well, maybe bored wasn’t the right way to describe it, it’s almost like i’m too stimulated. would love to just chill

soulman969, rolandson and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

Yep 60's were awesome. Music today is mostly prefabricated, with the look of an artist being more important than the sound. Everyone wants to be a high speed shredder on guitar. I see no bands to replace the legendary ones that are dying which is a worry. Kids today just walk around listening to ****e like Billy Eilash... Women with plastic bodies & men pumped up on steroids with every part covered in tats. It's the look at me, look at me world:(

Generals gathered in their masses
    Just like witches at black masses
    Evil minds that plot destruction
    Sorcerer of death's construction
    In the fields the bodies burning
    As the war machine keeps turning
    Death and hatred to Mankind
    Poisoning their brainwashed minds...
    Oh Lord yeah! Thank Ye lords of everything heavy Black Sabbath for keeping me sane:D

7. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I had a great time in the sixties...I think.

25D31236-555D-4FFB-800E-328425972257.jpeg

8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

Born in 1949, I grew up in the 50s and 60s. My favorite memories are of an innocence that still pervaded, playing a LOT outdoors, and not having to lock the doors of our house. My teenage sister driving me to get ice cream on warm summer evenings in our 57 Ford Fairlane. Rock & Roll when it was still new, and of course, the fabulous amps and guitars from Leo Fender.

jtoomuch, crawdaddy, ukoldgit and 4 others like this.
  9. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I started playing guitar and joined a band, in 1967. I was 14 years old, and I was paid more money for a gig, than what I often got paid in the 2000's.

[​IMG]

It was the early '70's, by time I could buy some of the '60's muscle cars. I have no desire to own one, today.

[​IMG]

On the down side, I remember the protests, riot's, assignations and people dying in the war and from drug OD's.

10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

dbolt, Mike Furlong, s5tuart and 4 others like this.
  11. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

The music songwriting was more pure, the formula they used
    of intro, verse, chorus , bridge, lead break.....verse, chorus , ending..
    The hooks were better, now they are just recycled.

12. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I was born in 62 at the height of the Cuban missile crisis. What I remember most is that we had short haircuts and that adult fashions were very elegant. Then the 70s happened.

13. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

I was born in '54 so I have vivid memories of the '60's. I loved the space race and watched all the NASA launches. I also was into cars especially the muscle cars of the 60's. Last but not least the great music. I got my first guitar at 12 and was in a band throughout junior and senior high school.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  14. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

The music, seeing folks like Janis Joplin, Santana, CSNY.....Oh, and the girls......fast cars, drag racing.........Wow! What a crazy time to live through.

abnormaltoy and Rudedawg like this.
  15. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

THIS:thumb:
    sums it up for me as well; if I remember correctly.....

Mike Furlong, s5tuart and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Silver Member

Born in '60. Too young to remember much of world events, though I vaguely remember when Robert F. Kennedy was shot. I remember the moonshots, though they mostly get blurred together in my recollection.

I remember when we got our first color TV and cartoons emerged in gorgeous hues instead of greys. I remember the Saturday morning cartoons, before non-cartoon stuff started taking over in the 70's. Spiderman, Jonny Quest, Fantastic Four; heck, even a weird little show called Here Comes the Grump.

I remember playing outside a lot-- in back alleys, neighboring yards, and way the heck down the street at a local park, with other kids or by myself, no parents hovering about. I remember dogs routinely did their business on the grass in front of houses and nobody came around afterwards with little plastic bags and a rubber hand glove to pick it up-- heck, it was fertilizer.

I remember a much greater diversity in smaller wildlife-- I was in a position to notice, as I began studying insects when I was 6 or 7 and meant to be an entomologist until my father persuaded me into engineering just before entering college. (No money in bugs, he thought.)

Girls dressed nicer then, far more colorful, though I was too young to appreciate it. I remember how youths that people were calling "hippies" destroyed local parks-- trashing them, defacing monuments, scaring people. I remember seeing someone very high on the grass in a major public park, shaking and rolling about like a crazed thing-- a scary thing to see when you're little. I remember that everyone smoked cigarettes.

I recall far more varieties of candy instead of the same few types we see now, simply repackaged for different holidays. I remember root beer, /real root beer/, and getting food at drive-ins where a young woman would hang the tray on our car window. I remember my father in our car routinely throwing trash out on the road without any thought on the matter.

I remember visiting some folks my parents knew-- they had a mysterious thing called a "guitar". It fascinated me, but I wouldn't revisit that fascination until much, much later. I think later that day we took a drive in their convertible-- what an experience. I remember once riding in a classic VW bus, another great experience.

Heck, I didn't think I'd remember much when I first started writing this. Didn't mean to write book. Seems like I remember quite a bit.

17. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Born in '53 I remember the 60s. The mid to late 60s had more music than I could wrap my head around. I was raised in Jacksonville, Fl. and all the big bands came through town. The 60s was one big party and a fun time. I miss it. ENJOY!!!

18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Born in the mid '60s so like all who lived through it I recall very little but before the decade was out I'd run away from home and developed a taste for an adrenalin filled adulthood.

Well, I mean I managed to get nearly a mile from my house once in my pedal car before being rounded up by a shrieking and shaking mother (straight up the centre of the main road no less!) and then flushed with success at swimming with armbands in the shallow end rushed over to pester to boast of my new skill to a late arriving aunt, forgot I'd taken them off when I got out just a moment earlier and ran back and plunged straight to the bottom of the deep end of a 5 metre pool when I was in my mid 4's.

It took years before I felt comfortable in the water again then dad took me to see Jaws on it's 1st day of release in '75.

Now I'm a good track driver and fair swimmer who looks over his shoulder a lot.

More than that I can't tell you.

I didn't meet Hendrix.

19. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

'66: 1st beer, 1st "j", 1st girl. Then there was the great music, cheap concerts, muscle cars dragging down main street, drive in movies and yet a lot of the 60's and 70's remain a blur. :confused:

Mike Furlong and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I was born in the late 50's...I remember the 60's from the perspective of a kid. It was great...if you were a kid. :)