The best band gig you ever had was...

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
About 40 years ago at friend's wedding, with a really bad wedding band that took a break. Several of us played various things, so we asked the band guys if we could use their stuff during the break and they said OK. I had my Strat and an amp in the car so I got them. We played various rock songs in a disorganized way, like Wild Thing, and the song the Sacred Cows played on Get Smart, and we had the whole place dancing and cheering. After quite a while the wedding band figured they'd better take over or risk not getting paid, so they came back and stepped up their act quite a bit.

Last edited:
Y

yettoblaster

Bunch of us jazz guys got fed up making TENS of dollars and put a band together specifically for money makin’.
Five piece: soul & funk, dance music, Steely Dan covers, Van Morrison, anything!
Made good money and had a ball for three years before the close down for disease.
I moved away and not going back. Officially retired from the club wars.
But my funnest period by far.

Seamus OReally

Fading away
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
I was playing solo in a hotel lounge in suburban Detroit, and was having a red hot night. Could do no wrong, and people were really into it. I asked for requests and somebody said “Neil Diamond!” So I played a killer version of “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” right off the top of my head - when I got to the talking part, I got them keeping time and singing the Hallelujahs - and just tore the place up. A group of people got up to leave, realized that I had just started playing “Josie” and sat back down! Just one of about six or seven memorable nights from playing solo. Getting that to happen with a whole band eluded me.

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
About 40 years ago at friend's wedding, with a really bad wedding band that took a break. Several of us played various things, so we asked the band guys if we could use their stuff during the break and they said OK. I had my Strat and an amp in the car so I got them. We played various rock songs in a disorganized way, like Wild Thing, and the song the Sacred Cows played on Get Smart, and we had the whole place dancing and cheering. After quite a while the wedding band figured they'd better take over or risk not getting paid, so they came back and stepped up their act quite a bit.

I've trained my mind to go BLANK anytime I want to... 🥶🎧😊😁😂🤠☺️🤣

PhilippineStrat

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Philippines
Was in a pretty hot (at the time) local band. We got booked to play at a private island resort.

It was, for 3 days everything you saw in the movies.

Get on a private jet, checked into a suite room. We could order anything from the menu or the bar at any time during our stay. Since we travelled private we could easily bring whatever illegal substances we wanted. We had 2 personal golf carts. 2 sets a night, one at each of the resort's two stages. Lots of friendly and good looking guests too

I had a bottle of something and a joint on me every waking hour. Afternoons were spent lazing on the beach, evenings were spent playing music and partying. Obviously mornings were spent dead in bed.

I remember hugging my guitar on the plane heading there saying look where you brought me man! Was the first and last time I had such an experience.

Another best for a totally MUSICAL reason:

Venue was a dingy old pub. Power cut out during the set. Band kept playing relying solely on the soubd of the singer and the drums. Power and lights came back on, and as the sound came back everyone was still in perfect sync and place in the song. Boom crowd goes nuts :)

Last edited:

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
That's hard to say...but a couple highlights, all from the 80's:

Playing with the Latin-jazz band Santiago at the New Orleans jazz fest several times.

Same band as opening act for Airto and Flora Purim at Snug Harbor...twice.

And as a hired player, playing the Sanger for the touring company show of "Anything Goes" on guitar and tenor banjo.

Last edited:

Ronnie Fn D

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 1, 2022
Valrico FL
It was always location for me. I've played in mostly punk and rockabilly bands over the years and there's a lil venue called Mojo 13 up in Delaware and that place was always worth the trip. We would always try to find a reason to drive 12 hours just to play there it's been a few years since I've been there, I heard they cleaned it up and it's not as cool anymore. There is a guitar I wish I didn't get rid of......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190904-041358.png
    Screenshot_20190904-041358.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 7

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
It was always location for me. I've played in mostly punk and rockabilly bands over the years and there's a lil venue called Mojo 13 up in Delaware and that place was always worth the trip. We would always try to find a reason to drive 12 hours just to play there it's been a few years since I've been there, I heard they cleaned it up and it's not as cool anymore. There is a guitar I wish I didn't get rid of......
So I must ask: What part of Delaware was it and was it located off Rt 13?