The Capo

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by mapleglo, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Sean

Sean New Member!

There's a very big difference to me in a chord that uses open strings and one that does not. I also "learned the fret board" quite well and I use a capo at times when a singer wants a song that utilizes alot of open strings in a different key.

I've used a bunch of different capos. Cheap ones give me tuning problems. The most in tune (for me) is the Thalia. The down side is it is too expensive for what it is. It winds up being worth it to me as I can use it on acoustic AND electric without tuning problems. The one I liked second best was G7. That also stayed in tunes better than a $5 capo, but not as well as a Thalia.

mapleglo and Hanson like this.
  2. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I rarely use a capo as well. However, if you like the ringing sound of open strings, a capo lets you get that in any key. My friend uses a lot of open strings when ripping through his solos, and his use of the capo gives him a tone that you just can't duplicate without it.

mapleglo and Hanson like this.
  3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

What I use - very subtle, and is easy to adjust between different thickness necks.

I dig that shark one, though!

mapleglo likes this.
  4. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through

I hate it when that happens...

mapleglo likes this.
  5. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I prefer a capo such as your Keyser. Have two of them and they've worked for years.

That shark capo looks kewl, but it is hands down the worst capo I've ever used. One doesn't think at the time of purchase about that sharp fin on the back and bottom of the thing and the effect those will have on your fingers when trying to move it on the guitar. Ugh! How did that thing ever get through design and production? ;D

mapleglo likes this.
  6. Ken Foland

Ken Foland New Member!

I lubb the Shubb! It's small, adjustable, and built like a tank. Because of the adjustability, it works equally well on my Strat, BC Rich Bich, or Yamaha Classical.

tag78 and mapleglo like this.
  7. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talker

The Shark is cool, but the fin is uncomfortable to squeeze and the spring is barely strong enough. Stick to "made in the USA

Attached Files:

Boognish and mapleglo like this.
  8. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I'm scared of capos.

mapleglo likes this.
  9. Peter_Polfeldt

Peter_Polfeldt Strat-Talk Member

Me too, a shubb with a 7,25 inch radius for the fenders, and a g7 with a flatter radius for the acoustics..

mapleglo and Stratoskater like this.
  10. jdyanine

jdyanine Strat-Talk Member

I think I've just seen one more vote for Shubb

shubb.jpg

mapleglo likes this.
  11. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje Strat-Talk Member

Shubb user here. I had Dunlop one, but then switched all of them to Shubb.

I own two nitro finish guitars and Dunlop isn't nitro friendly. Gave my Dunlop to a friend, as I didn't want to come into temptation to put it on one day. Now I have 3 Shubbs.

mapleglo likes this.
  12. howlin

howlin Strat-Talker

I learned to use a capo in an acoustic trio. Whoever was singing the song played the cowboy chords and the other guitar would use a capo to seperate the sound of the 2 guitars. After watching an AKUS video I started thinking of the capoed guitar more like a mandolin and really got into the chime when using it on the upper frets. These days when I need to drop the key of a song due to my voice being lower instead of having a dedicated guitar tuned to D standard I just put a capo where I need it and I'm done. This can also make an old song sound new again.

I also have several capoes that are cut down allowing me to just capo the 4 bass strings. First I drop the low E-string to D and then capo at the 2nd fret. This puts me in a tuning similar to DADGAD but since it's in E I refer to it as my "E'gad" tuning. You can get a similar but different tuning by turning a Kyser capo upside down and capoing the the A,D & G strings on the 2nd fret - Shubb actually makes a capo for this BTW. Obviously, I don't understand all the snootiness regarding capoes. Back in the day Irving Berlin used a transposing piano and pretty much wrote all his songs in Ab and these days keyboard players can just change the key of their instrument without having to relearn a song so, why not capoes? YMMY. ;)

mapleglo and tag78 like this.
  13. tag78

tag78 New Member!

What's your capo of choice?[/QUOTE]

I have an eight hundred dollar capo - Line 6 Variax. Move the dial one click and you are in whatever key you want. Make 8 or 9 of them if need be. Some folks do!

mapleglo likes this.
  14. tag78

tag78 New Member!

This reminds me of the probe they sent to Mars. When it finally got there (millions of $ later) it crashed because someone forgot to convert metric to standard. The little boy is looking at him thinking - are you a moron or what?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    wayoutjohn and mapleglo like this.