Join Strat-Talk Today

The CBS Era Love Fest and Picture thread

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Yogi, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Ozric

Ozric Strat-Talker

My modded 74

Attached Files:

2. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Here's my 1970
    [​IMG]

Original electronics. A 5way switch, refret, and Schaller tuners have been installed.
    [​IMG]

It is Arctic White in finish. It is now a player.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    T-Bodz Terry B. likes this.
  3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey Joey,,,I like your late 70's strats but i luv the middle one the most.Aged Olympic White with maple fret board looks awesome.Is it for sale?..............

4. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Thanks! I hadn't really played it much over the past year or so and did put it up for sale but after I started playing it again on a more regular basis I think I've decided to keep it, for now anyhow. As I'm sure is the case for many of us here, I have a very hard time deciding what guitars to part with. I have constant G.A.S. so it's inevitable something eventually has to go to make room for/fund the next one, but the decision as to which one is always so tough! I'm much better at buying guitars than I am at parting with them!

5. Skocir89

Skocir89 Strat-Talker

Finally a treat that I've waiting for so long time. ..cool guitars you have there folks... here are mine, '76 natural wich I have just refretted it and '79-80 black with more playing history..ow..and 68 relic that I made while ago..

Attached Files:

6. DHart

DHart Banned

A VERY common affliction among many of us, I'm sure!

7. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

This is Goldie... My Pre CBS refin...with 68'neck, pickups and bridge. It was a whole 68' bought used for $250 back in the 70's. The original Sunburst body got traded for the refin body around 1980. It was my main sometimes only guitar for many years. It's a member of the family and will never be sold... We been thru a lot together. She is pretty much retired these days. Still plays and sounds good. I refretted it myself under supervision by our local Guitar/Amp Guru Mr. Bud (RIP)...very little Rosewood left from being taken down so many times. But she's still my Goldie!!!

Attached Files:

8. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Strat-O-Master

Awesome thread! I especially like the old pics of folks playing their guitars in the 70's. I once had a red in color 1981 USA made Fender Bullet in the tele style with two pickups. I had it modded with a Dimarzio super distortion pickup in the bridge position. I was able to split the coil using my tone control. When the tone control was turned down to 8 or lower it was humbucking and when it was at 10 it was single coil. I used that guitar for dozens of gigs from 1981 until 1993. Several years after I bought it I stripped the red paint and finish off of it to discover the body was made of some kinda compressed plywood/laminate. I eventually parted it out for other guitars. I have no idea where it ended up. I paid $250 for it including case back in 1981. It had a great neck.

9. rickb

rickb New Member!

Here's my much loved '76 HT after a gig - Yuck!

Does anyone recognise the bridge? Is it standard? I've never seen another one like it

Attached Files:

10. Skocir89

Skocir89 Strat-Talker

What a hell happened there? Did you murdered someone with that guitar? Hahaha

11. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

My kind of thread!
    I bought a Highway 1 only because I love the headstock... don't own any vintage gear (a mid 80s MIJ Jazz Bass neck, if it counts for something).

So many of my favorite players played CBS era guitars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If Fender would just make a nice standard production 1968-1970 maple fretboard Strat reissue... instead they go and waste timber on MLB themed guitars or whatever.

12. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Its definitely not stock, looks like an old Schecter or similar aftermarket brass bridge from the 70s or early 80s

13. rickb

rickb New Member!

Ah thanks. I ask because one of the height adjusting grub screws on the low E saddle has rounded off and won't move. I can probably unscrew it with a clamp on the sticky-outy threaded bit, but I need to find a suitable replacement screw before I start messing about.

14. BALIstic

BALIstic Strat-O-Master

CBS Strat Brothers........I'm off to check out a 79 in Black with Maple neck tomorrow morning. It's no case Queen that's for sure, it looks like it's been played hard (some natural relicing) and maybe that's a good thing. I think you could say it looks it's nearly 36 years. It looks like it's lived a enjoyable and interesting life.

Maybe it's the pristine examples that have the issues and hence get no playing time ?

I hope it's not suffering from to many CBS ailments. Neck pocket looks pretty good, no room for a credit card from the photos I've seen. All original with the exception of a refret in the 90's. Frets look to be medium jumbo.

Any final words of wisdom / thinks to look out for ?

Wish me luck !!!

Regards BALIstic

15. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just be mindful of the neck pocket gap, make sure there isn't a big one. Check that the term arm threads aren't stripped in the block, because if they are you have to replace the whole trem as you just can't replace the block if you want to use the tremolo.

16. BALIstic

BALIstic Strat-O-Master

Will do. Thank you Sensei Yogi.

I appreciate all of your input in this an the "CBS Issues" thread.

Oh, I love Ya big silver car too....

17. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Here's my 1973 Telecaster Custom. Needs frets (of course) and weighs like 200 pounds (of course,) but has a nasty, mean lead pickup-

Attached Files:

18. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

Here's my '76 hard-tail baby in all it's three-bolt splendor.
    All original parts except for the Schecter Bridge and a re-fret.
    And the finish---well, let's just say it was a misguided attempt
    in the '80s to give some visual impact.
    It has since been removed--but not all the way--I wanted to keep
    something of that memory alive.
    For better or worse.

Attached Files:

19. BALIstic

BALIstic Strat-O-Master

Hi Guy's, I had a look at. 79 (?) today. It's all black with a maple neck that is now the syrupy colour of my favourite beverage. Actually I don't drink but I'm trying to paint a picture here. It was no heavier than any of my other Strats. I was expecting a behemoth.

Neck pocket was very snug and the neck didn't have any play with the force I placed on it. None of the holes holding the neck appear to have been plugged or tooth picked at any point. The owner (3rd owner) said it is all original except for a refret. Everything under the pick guard looks tidy and pickup / pickup covers look to be correct for the guitar. Case is probably as old as the guitar but unfortunately it's not the genuine Fender case,

It's a bit grubby but will polish up very nicely, the poly has done it's job not too many chips or dings to speak of. It sounded very nice, though it was only fitted with a three way switch ? S/N and the number on the neck seem to suggest an 80 from my understanding so that should have a 5 way switch.

Stupidly I didn't photo the whole guitar ? I have included the one from the ad. The owner was going away for a few days but I will try and get a shot of the innards on Tuesday when he returns home

If anyone can tell me anything other than what I've stated above from the Serial / Neck #, I'd be very appreciative. I'm only going off info from the net.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  20. BALIstic

BALIstic Strat-O-Master

So I acquired this today. Late 70's Stratocaster. As posted previously.

Fender Customer Relations said its a 78-79 but it appears to have 76 dated pick ups and a three way pick up selector switch.......Would anyone think it possible that it came this way from the factory ?

Pots look old, I assume they are original but numbers are impossible to make out as someone has had a play in there at some stage. Neck pick up,sounds incredible so much nicer than my CS Strats. Bridge and middle pick ups sound nice too but the neck is something special,

In the next few weeks I'll take it to my local shop to get them to tidy up under the hood a bit, maybe install a 5 way switch and look at the output jack which is a bit noisy.

Couldn't be happier.......my first truly old (vintage even) Fender Stratocaster.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.