the classic 30

heltershelton

Vivamus libero Vivamus duris
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
went to an open jam once when i was in houston and plugged straight into another guys classic 30......i really really liked it.
there is one for sale on craigslist for less than $300, and i wrote the guy an email and offered to trade a rifle i dont use for it.....havent heard back yet, but i have a few questions about classic 30's.
ive done some research on the amp and noticed that there are different models or whatever....some say made in usa and some say made in china, and some have different speakers than others.
please tell me what you know about these amps.
here is the particular amp im looking at.
30-1.jpg
30-2.jpg
30-3.jpg

Teddy Watkins

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
That is a MIA one. You could email Peavey the serial and they can tell you when it was built. They are pretty rock solid amps. No master volume. My personal experience is with the C20 and C50 but the entire line is very good. Especially these older ones. He's asking a reasonable price. Missing the logo but a lot of people hate it anyway. The Blue Marvels are not great speakers but they ain't bad either.

heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
Texas
That is a MIA one. You could email Peavey the serial and they can tell you when it was built. They are pretty rock solid amps. No master volume. My personal experience is with the C20 and C50 but the entire line is very good. Especially these older ones. He's asking a reasonable price. Missing the logo but a lot of people hate it anyway.
i thought on the peavy the post gain was kinda like a master volume. i never understood all that pre and post stuff on peavys.

heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
Texas
It is kinda like one but it isn't one and it only works on the lead channel, which I never used that much.
right on.....can you switch between the channels on these amps with a footswitch? ive seen on the newer ones you can but im not sure about this one. because if you could that would be awesome. and how is the stock reverb?

Teddy Watkins

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
I also never really liked the boost function. My C50 had one of the best clean tones of any amp I've owned. My C20 is great all around but it is a different amp than its siblings.

Pretty sure it is remote footswitchable. Think it is the jack on the back next to the extension speaker jack. Have to make sure the channel select on the amp is in the lead position for the footswitch to work.

heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
Texas
I also never really liked the boost function. My C50 had one of the best clean tones of any amp I've owned. My C20 is great all around but it is a different amp than its siblings.

Pretty sure it is remote footswitchable. Think it is the jack on the back next to the extension speaker jack. Have to make sure the channel select on the amp is in the lead position for the footswitch to work.
thanks for your input. you seem to know what youre talking about.

Teddy Watkins

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
No problem. The Classic 50 was my first all tube amp. I actually started looking for a used C30 after hearing one but found a great deal on a cool C50. Didn't gig it a lot but it never let me down. I miss it but don't regret selling it as I just wasn't playing it. It was maybe a first year model and I think the only repairs it ever had were one resistor, a reverb cable, and a reverb tank, which was really a mod not a repair. My C20 is sitting at the moment in need of a cap job i believe. Just gotten a little noisy 23 years on.

moullineaux

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 11, 2009
ATLANTA, GA
I have owned a Peavey Classic 20 head/ cab for over a year now and can say with no reservations it is well built and incredibly versatile. I personally like the pre/post volume arrangement as it allows me to get really nice tone at studio levels. I actually heard a guy playing a Classic 30 and that is what spurred me to go and get the Classic 20. Really good amps imho.

Teddy Watkins

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
The new classic 20 is very different from my old classic 20 but I've mostly heard good things about those. I generally lean toward Peavey's older stuff. I have zero questions or doubt about those products. In addition to those two early 90s classic amps I also owned an '88 VTM 60 that was killer. Another great bargain amp.

FormerTeleGuy

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 17, 2013
Oak Lawn, IL
The new ones are made in China and have the bubble front logo only. That's a MIA model, an older one.

They are workhorses of amps but the PCB assembly inside can be a pain if there's any problems. Just like any amp with a PCB it could last forever without any issues or already have one. I would test it first for a good 20 minutes turned up and probe the owner about the amps history. Original owner? Ever serviced? Ever modded?

If you have lots of rifles and wont miss one then a trade is a good deal even if the amp needs some work!

Boris Bubbanov

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 3, 2007
in New Orleans' past
This is a very good amp, and while the fan and some other bits may be Chinese, most of it is not.

#1 thing is, you gotta take great care of those exposed tubes - they're really out there. Some people install a protective cage or something.

What imaging is on the speaker?

I think $ 300 is upper end, for used, on these. Or it was, until recently. They should be worth more, but alas, Hartley is a complete jerk and now everyone knows it.

heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
Texas
This is a very good amp, and while the fan and some other bits may be Chinese, most of it is not.

#1 thing is, you gotta take great care of those exposed tubes - they're really out there. Some people install a protective cage or something.

What imaging is on the speaker?

I think $ 300 is upper end, for used, on these. Or it was, until recently. They should be worth more, but alas, Hartley is a complete jerk and now everyone knows it.
i hear ya on the tubes but it sure makes it easy to change them. and its actually $285.....not bad for a good tube amp. new ones are what....$600 or around that?
im not sure i know what you mean about the speaker imaging. is that a picture on the speaker? it says peavey blue marvel.
and who the hell is Hartley?

heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
Texas
well, damn. the dude just called me and said he was strapped for cash, otherwise he would definitely trade. so i said, "well, you got my # and if you get some cash my offer still stands".
the seed of the rifle has been planted. maybe it will grow.

gibsonsmu

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2015
Texas
I have two classic 50's, one 4x10, one 2x12. Great sounding amps in the clean channel when you crank it. El-84s. They are cheap and I've never had any problems with them.

Bluestrat83

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 17, 2016
Ecuador
Great amp. It is light, it is loud. To be honest I didn't feel that some pedals worked ok with this amp but nothing you couldn't tweak. Overall this is a really ok amp.
Just sold mine a couple of months ago at the same price (I live outside the states) because it was beat up and needed new tubes, possibly a new speaker and the reverb wasn't working so I didn't want to invest on all that right know. The one you want to buy looks neat for the price IMO.
I use to take this amp for smaller gigs, rehearsals and jams because it is light but it has enough power to make you go trough almost any situation. It was a faithful partner for years and is great for blues and rock.

Last edited: