The dreaded “Which 3 pups should I do?” Question!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Thecrookedone, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve gone done the road of wildly different pickups when I built a telecaster. I had stacked humbuckers, Lace, AlNiCo 2, AlNiCo 2, CS pickups and numerous wiring schemes. I ended up going with a more traditional Twisted Tele neck + Broadcaster bridge in the end because in reality, the wildly different pickups didn’t work well together.

I’d keep it simple and buy a really good set that are made to work together. Lots to choose from. I like Fender Custom Shop 69’s. The bridge pickup might be a little lacklustre though. Texas Specials are in the same area but have more bite. You could always go the Eric Johnson route and get a set of 57/62’s for the middle neck and a Dimarzio HS-2 for the bridge.

My favourite set at the moment are the Bootstrap Alnico 5 Vintage 54 Pro with non-staggered polls. They’re a really nice sounding set and the bridge pickup isn’t wimpy like some of the typical vintage voiced pickups. Check em out: https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrapt-54-vintage-pro-set-for-strat®-flat-poles

Thecrookedone likes this.
  2. Thecrookedone

Thecrookedone Strat-Talk Member

Whoa, those are waaaaay cheaper than anything else I've seen. You work for these people or something? :) just kidding - actually these bootstraps look pretty fun, thanks for the link!

Glad to hear from someone who's gone down this path before. I'll check all of those out. Cheers!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

The heck with normal convention, check these out.
    IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0076.jpg IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0451.jpg

4. GaGuitarman81

GaGuitarman81 Strat-Talk Member

Just doesn’t sound good to my ears and I’m bad at describing why but to me it doesn’t sound as round and full as I like. I mean I know it’s in the bridge but it just hits my ear weird. However when I add in the neck pick-up with my mini toggle it sounds good but alone not a huge fan.

If I was going to replace it I would put a custom 69 but only because I already have an extra at my house

5. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Trying to get a different genre out of each pickup never works out, because the sound of a pickups is so position-dependent. I mean, you're not going to sound like Yngwie with a middle pickup no matter how it's voiced. Just get three pickups that sound great to you and are designed to work together. I've used the same guitar to play pretty much any style that's been requested of me. The secret... and it's so simple that I'm amazed so many people seem to miss it... is to stop trying to copy other people's tone. Just get YOUR tone, and use that for everything you do.

6. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Tapped singlecoils with three-way switching on each pickup - cool-off-hot. You can turn them on and off individually and run a more vintage/cool sound or run a more modern/hot/mid sound without active electronics. I really like this set-up.

I got these from mk-guitar and they're based on the old Schecter F500T. He also has a set where the tapped/cool output is much like a 50's vintage Strat pickup and the full coil/hot mode emulates a Dimarzio FS1. I believe he calls these VFS1.

Thecrookedone and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yeah these guys give amazing value for the dollar. The guy who runs the business is a member here as well as Strat-Talk’s sister TDPRI website. I’ve never actually talked to him but I’ve seen him in pickup discussions and he’s been pretty responsive to questions. On occasion (when possible) he’s gone the extra mile to make sure guys get their pickups on time if they had a gig to play and wanted their new set in time. He also adjusted his delivery costs a couple of years ago to make it super cheap to get them in Canada and I think delivery to the lower 48 is less than $3.

I’ve only got the one Vintage 54 Pro set and I chose to keep them as simple as possible, no stagger and alnico 5, just to see how I liked them. I was blown away. I’m going to get a set of their P90’s for a Telecaster project next and if I have the need a set, I’ll try their PAF humbuckers too.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Then there is this for the Strat. Video is a little long but you will get the point.

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

very cool......especially the no soldering and swappable caps. One thing it doesn't offer, which I was impressed with, as the Gyrock's ability to change on the fly without any cutouts. But this isn't 15 grand either, I'm guessing, and you can have a lot of different options for a lot less...

10. Believer7713

Yep. That's actually my guitar that you were seeing and I have 5 different setups on it.
    H/S EMG 89/SA
    SSS SSL-1/SSL-5
    SSS BoP'ups hot wound
    HH EMG 85/60
    H/S with Fender Atomic humbucker and SD Hot rails.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thecrookedone and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I'd just go for any alnico type magnetic pole piece style pickups. Your MIM is a '99 and I believe have the warmer sounding ceramic bar style pickups. Which sound good, but sometimes don't have that high end frequency that the traditional style PU's give. I suggest buying some used fender set from USA strats. Or Seymour Duncan SSL series stuff. There's a bajillion and you can bankrupt yourself with options. Start cheaply!

12. Thecrookedone

JeffBlue likes this.
  13. Thecrookedone

gotcha. I’m definitely preparing myself for the potential the same might happen when I finally pick my new set. Thanks for the elaboration!

14. Believer7713

If you are looking at P90'S then you might like this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JeffBlue likes this.
  15. Thecrookedone

That's a lot of soap! :)

Believer7713 likes this.
  16. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Here's a guy playing some really good sounding rocketfire total 60s pickups and some don mare super sports can't go wrong with either set.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. Believer7713

Yeah, expensive too. 3 bars will cost you 270.

18. DonaldR

DonaldR Strat-Talk Member

I think you can't go wrong with Seymour Duncan California 50's set (SSL-1) or Vintage Flat Strat set (SSL-2 which are flat poles SSL-1). If you don't mind going noiseless I had a Seymour Duncan STK-S4 (noiseless SSL-2) and a STK-S7 Vintage Hot (a slightly overwound Strat bridge pickup) that I liked a lot in my MIM 2006 Fender Strat. No comparison over standard pickups!!! The STK-S7 is a single-coil designed for the bridge position of a Strat, so less high a and bit more bass, just the meat needed for the bridge, way more straty than an SSL-5 IMO. I used that combo for RHCP songs and it also do SRV no problem. I moved that set into my LTD ST-213 (see next paragraph).

If you want to stay regular single-coils, I ordered a set of Rose pickups, again for that MIM Fender Strat as I wanted to go back to more traditional setup: Robusta neck (5.5k), Robusta middle (5.5k) and Buff Beauty bridge (7.8k). They sound as good as the SD (if not better), they are slightly more opened and again with a perfectly balanced bridge strat pickup. They are what I had in my head as my perfect strat sound. Really classic but no shrill at all. I can play blues/rock/pop. Highly recommended and they are $85 for the full set.