Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Duck Pond

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by TheDuck, Sep 12, 2017.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    You're too kind @CigBurn - Thanks :thumb:
    Yea, the Eleven Rack is pretty sweet, and the more I use it, the more I discover hidden inside it.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Duck, you don't strike me as the shy type so I implore you: Turn yourself up, mixie boy!!

TheDuck likes this.

3. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Through my monitors (JBL LSR305) the mix seems pretty well balanced. /shrug

4. Dadocaster

Will check settings on my ear and check again. Un momento.

TheDuck likes this.

5. Dadocaster

Might be my dark hatred of backing tracks but I am still hearing too little Duck.

TheDuck likes this.

6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I was thinking much the same. 11R, Amplitube, a transistor radio from the 60's, a walmart toaster...it would be all awesome! :).

Great stuff as usual Duck...a very enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing.

TheDuck likes this.

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Sometimes I like it when the guitar drops back in the mix letting some of the other stuff move up. Other times, especially when a riff is really jumping, bring it forward then letting it slide back into the mix so it gives the entire piece a more alive dynamic feel. I find that when a guitar part is always dominant it's less interesting for my ears. Not speaking to any of the stuff here really, just in general and a personal preference.

TheDuck likes this.

8. Dadocaster

Sure. You are talking about the "super noodling mix type #1," which is really annoying. Wall to wall solo stepping on everyone is not a good sound. Dynamics in a mix takes some extra effort. As I keep mentioning, it may be just a matter of my dislike of most backing tracks. I usually find them way too busy and thick for good noodling. :D

CigBurn and TheDuck like this.

9. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thank you @BallisticSquid :thumb:

I agree with both of you @Dadocaster and @CigBurn

Most backing tracks are too busy and "thick" to use for anything more than practice. Thats why (for the Challenges and Jams) I use an EQ on the track to notch out a place for my guitar. It doesn't always work as intended, but it usually helps.

And yea, the "overly loud in your face" guitar mix is just an annoyance, and will lose the listeners attention in a heartbeat.
    I try to never be "that guitar player".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    CigBurn and BallisticSquid like this.

10. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    This is an early melody work up / trial run for a song called She's My Sun

No, this isnt for my album, in fact Im not sure what it's going to be used for.
    I was asked for something "upbeat" in the spirit of the theme from Friends (gag).
    Not sure if I got it or not, but this is as "poppy" as I get.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Mouse, Swingbass, CigBurn and 4 others like this.

11. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    Man, I haven't picked up a guitar for about 4 months. But you guys are sure keeping me inspired. If I ever snag a pair of monitors I'm gonna hit you up Duck. I got that Scarlett at the beginning of the year and it's still unopened, sitting in the box.

Anywho...Upbeat like Friends...I don't know. It sounds great Duck and it's upbeat. But this is more of a mellow, chill, laid back upbeat. Not a wiggle your hips, put on a fake smile and swing your arms back and forth upbeat.

I close my eyes and listen to this...
    I'm calm, relaxed...it's the perfect temperature outside...jeans and a t-shirt or long sleeves...either or...it's perfect. Slightly overcast, but still blue and sunny. There's a slight chill in the air but the breeze is warm. I'm blasting down the highway or burning through a field and a ray of sun hits my face, warming the rest of my body. The breeze ensures the feeling of "perfectness" as it pushes my hair back and all over the place. I'm smiling. A positive feeling of reassurance rushes through me and I'm happy. An overwhelming sense of joy overcomes me....I readjust my shades, run my hand back through my hair...click to a higher gear...throttle up....and with a lasting smirk and a confident determination....I'm gone.

CigBurn, abnormaltoy and TheDuck like this.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks @chrimturn :thumb:

When you go monitor shopping, drop me a line. Im no expert, but I know a little

Will your Scarlett plug into pair of monitors?
    Mine didnt have the outputs, and that was a factor in my decision to swap it out for the Eleven Rack. Among other reasons.

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I'm leaning towards...I think so @TheDuck

I'm not in town to check, but if I remember correctly, it's a 2i2 and it has a pair of line level speaker outputs on the back.

I could be wrong though.

TheDuck and abnormaltoy like this.

14. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Nice songscape, is that word?

15. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks!

It is now :thumb:

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. Dadocaster

2 counts of blasphemy!!!

TheDuck and chrimturn like this.

17. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    House, kids, sports, life controlling job, living with the mega beast!!!.....ahh screw it. Who am I kidding? There is no excuse.

You are correct sir.
    <lowers head, puts hands in pockets...kicks a can>

TheDuck likes this.

18. Dadocaster

Was only teasing. :D

When I get stuff, it's usually when boyo and I are hanging out and five minutes after we get back from Guitar Center, he is already throwing the new heads on the drum kit or I will be plugging in the latest thing for recording. :D

19. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I know. Me too. It's all good. I got a good laugh out of it.

It's the truth though. I have been procrastinating. Too much going on. Something had to give. Unfortunately, my passion(s) are the last priority. You guys (everybody here on ST) have kept me primed and ready though. Things are about to level out though and I should be getting back in the saddle here soon.

You aren't still looking for a metal pedal are you?

20. Dadocaster

Oh, I forgot about your kind offer that I did not notice for three weeks or so after you offered it.

Thanks for asking, TheDuck quacked the case and I got an Eleven Rack. Using that for recording and I swear I will figure something out to play live with it when the time comes.

TheDuck and chrimturn like this.