the easiest way to avoid wrong notes

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
There are no wrong notes...just wrong resolutions.

But to the Seeger quote, it's right on. How do you know unless you try?

And most rock players don't get jazz because they play guitar. That's what they know. Patterns that work in their bag. Throw a leading tone at them, and they crap themselves. Not knowing that the vii° in the key of C major is right there in that G7 they're playing. They know guitar, not music.

Seamus OReally

Crawling back
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
It’s worki

And most rock players don't get jazz because they play guitar. That's what they know. Patterns that work in their bag. Throw a leading tone at them, and they crap themselves. Not knowing that the vii° in the key of C major is right there in that G7 they're playing. They know guitar, not music.
Yep. That was my problem. Lotsa fretboard shapes, but no understanding.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
I really don’t, Chris. It’s all by ear. Aside from being able to name a chord, I got nothing.
You're missing what I'm saying Jim. You can understand how something works without being able to verbally describe it. Theory...is being able to explain what you did in words or notation.

You know it. Otherwise your ear wouldn't get it right.

Seamus OReally

Crawling back
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
When I auditioned for the Jordan College of Music, for my prepared piano piece I had worked out “Solace” by Scott Joplin, a beautifully harmonized “slow drag.” I finished and the committee applauded, and one of them got up and put sheet music on the piano. I couldn’t read it and said so. “Well, that’s ridiculous,” she said. “Of course you can. How did you play that Scott Joplin?”

They let me in, but I can’t see the math behind the sound, so I flunked out. Everything I do is the hard way… to make a lead sheet, I have to play the chords and the melody into DP, then add lyrics and chord symbols. But man, I can sure hear it.

jjaaam

Strat-Talker
Dec 2, 2021
Michigan

Very true, and I’m just as guilty as most.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend many years ago. She had played piano, and had taken lessons for many years. She had learned how to PLAY the piano, but she didn’t have a grasp on many basic theory concepts. For example, I asked her what notes she would play to play a minor chord, and she literally had no idea that the only difference from a major chord would be to take the 3rd down a half step.

But she could sight read all day long, which I certainly can’t do.

That’s not meant to be a criticism of her abilities, just an observation. She liked to play, but music to her was nothing more than reading a road map (I.e, playing a piece by reading the sheet music).

Latest posts