Join Strat-Talk Today

The Edge

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Antman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

Whatever your stance is on U2s The Edge ( he happens to he a hero of mine) his dedication to sonics is amazing. A long video but lots of info here. I don't shred myself (but appreciate the skill). I just wish all Edge haters wouldn't judge on speed and virtuoso. So called simple playing requires timing and skill also. I'd rather listen to the edge than an album of say Guthrie.

2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I like The Edge. I don’t follow them anymore because of Bono

Sangetsu, JP64, ZlurkCorzDog and 12 others like this.
  3. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

I thought that rundown was good. Never followed the Edge or U2 but not for any reason other than its just not my style, but he can play that guitar and is a whizz on delay.

4. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Ya know. I just recently learned about his use of the Herdim picks. For YEARS it bugged the crap out of me why no matter what I tried I just couldn’t get that subtle scraping sound when he picks. Amazing how something that seems so small and simple can have such a profound impact on tone

JP64, frozensoda, Tone Deaf and 2 others like this.
  5. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not a fan of U2 which is pretty sacrilegious in this country..
    but I do find The Edge an interesting guitar player I never really warmed to him till I saw him in "It might get loud" and got more of an insight into his playing and his sound, he's very sonically orientated

6. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

GREAT rhythm player.

gwjensen and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  7. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

i love the sound of U2, which means mostly The Edge... Bono wore his welcome out with me right after Rattle and Hum... personally i think he developed a messiah complex, but maybe that was just his schtick. I still listen to all the stuff up through Joshua Tree, though.... Bullet the Blue Sky is kind of awesome - i dig the guitar part - i almost always like what he plays... silly nickname, but better than what i got called in catholic school.

gwjensen, felis and Stratoskater like this.
  8. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

I guess I’m the odd one out as I am not a fan. Don’t like the guitar playing or the effects. There’s nothing the band plays that strikes a chord (pun intended ) with me.
    Interesting that I think as he and their music is very popular, so maybe I’m just picky...:rolleyes:

Alan Crossley and duzie like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, it's the role of electric guitar as rhythm instrument taken to an extreme. May or may not be your cup of tea but his playing and sound is propulsive and huge. In the context of the era, it was iconoclastic and revolutionary.

10. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

i find it impossible to believe there are people not moved by Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (In the Name of Love), and New Year's Day, but i never understand why people don't like what i like :whistling::cool:

I think Joshua Tree is the band's apotheosis (and if you take that word at its literal meaning predicts the missteps to come)... later stuff does annoy me as i mentioned above, but they were doing something radical and on very little theory etc... just making a joyful noise....

Andrew Wasson, felis, dueducs and 2 others like this.
  11. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talker

The Edge is a numpty. You'd think after playing guitar for 30 years he might have improved as a guitarist? The only U2 song I can listen to is The Fly.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Jimgchord and Stratbats like this.
  12. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Very well put!

Alan Crossley and Chont like this.
  13. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I always found them to be self-important and self absorbed But I like him much better after “It might get loud”. But was disappointed that he seemed to struggle to stay with Jack White and Jimmy Page.

14. PawnShopStrat

PawnShopStrat Strat-Talk Member

For me, the writing was on the wall with Zooropa, which was a mixed bag. My U2 bubble burst when I spent money that I could never get back on "Pop". Some great songs after that, like "Beautiful Day", and "Vertigo", but I haven't paid attention to them since "No Line on the Horizon".

montemerrick likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I dig their early stuff like Monty but his part in it might get loud where he says I’m playing this simple little 4 note thing and my effects are doing the rest kind of put me off to the guy. He definitely has skill but I think he’s become far to engrossed in effects and toys and needs to go back to playing more.

16. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Its always kind of sad to me to see threads like this because music is art, not sport, and the beauty and appreciation of art comes from the 'eye of the beholder' or in this case 'ear'.

Now they did annoy the hell out of me with the Itunes fiasco and because of that I quit using ITunes. If I want your damn album I'll buy it.

17. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

To some degree, I feel that he extended the vocabulary of the electric guitar. I hold players who manage that in higher regard than virtuosos who are working in the already known vocabulary but with amazing facility.

18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

We were shredders in high school. We referred to them as “Boner” and “ The Spoon”. Seriously though, playing with delays is an art unto itself. Always dug it. Big Brian May fan, so there you go.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  19. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

He plays for the songs. He's perfect for his band. He's part sound designer and part musician. Springsteen nailed it in his RRHOF induction speech for U2:

And in that movie with Page and White...he proved (at least to me) that he pays attention. He caught changes that White didn't. He's 10 times the musician White is. It's right there in the film.

gwjensen, Andrew Wasson, 808K and 6 others like this.
  20. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

it’s hard to judge from this distance but I can still remember the earlier U2 stuff from top of the pops in the early 80’s as kid and their sound was absolutely epic in the context of their peers at that time. They were in many ways the perfect band, in the sense that they were all equally essential to the sound and no one stood out as being a better musician than the others. They aren’t my favourite band as I don’t like that sonic aesthetic but their playing in the service of their songwriting is exemplary. Which is why they have endured and thrived across 4 decades. I can’t see how any serious musician could criticise their work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.