Join Strat-Talk Today

The Edge

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Antman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

What he doesn't get enough cred for is his singing ability, he has an exceptional voice range in falsetto. Just fast forward to 03:35 in this video and you'll hear it, not even Bono can hit these notes as well as Edge does.

And to maintain that range throughout a song

Andrew Wasson and stratobiker like this.
  2. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

You Sir, have crossed the line of decency and cast an irreparable insult.
    Prepare for a dual!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Very underrated guitar player imo. I must admit I find the whole 'it's trendy to hate on U2' intriguing simply because I don't really get it.

4. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

This pretty much sums it up. The mood, the shading he provides both melodically and rhythmically is genius.

5. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I think he came across as a very interesting "sonic engineer" in, It might get loud.

However I've never liked U2 so his playing is lost on me really.

6. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

I admire the virtuosos playing ability but i think having that amount of theory applied to playing seems to box them in creatively. I just can't get into playing that has no rhythm or feeling behind it. It's often simple playing and experimenting sonically that i find more interesting.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  7. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

I am not a big fan of U2 but I did really like the early stuff, I got a bit of stick off friends when I turned up with an edge Strat I bought it because it’s a cracking guitar.
    53FD98F0-C0B4-4870-B5CF-06E3CE5EC821.jpeg The icing on the cake was this one
    510C8131-0A73-41A4-A986-05D9BC1D3F8E.jpeg

gwjensen and Guy Named Sue like this.
  8. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

The two more forgotten members of U2 are the ones that really impresses me. They have a pretty steady thing going on there.

The four note thing is brilliant, and being able to play a lot of the stuff he does locked into the pocket with Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton and adding vocal harmonies on top is quite impressive. One little mistake and you get a cascade of errors ringing out to the thousands of eyes watching you.

But the delay effect thing is just there for some songs.

U2 is an eclectic band and their style is ever changing, sometimes with certain musical trends sometimes against them. There are influences from punk, there is rock, pop, nods to americana, gospel, new wave, electronic music. Dave Evans have always focused his parts to build the songs, not to show off.

All in all I hear a competent guitar player that draws on a lot of styles throughout a catalogue of different styles. Being able to navigate through all that material for hours, day after day, on some of the most elaborate stage designs the world has ever seen, and not play a single note wrong is not traits of a amateur guitarist.

9. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Maybe it was something interesting at the time.

10. Duotone

Watching that video you all will understand my Strat-talk signature!

11. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Senior Stratmaster

Other than Pride in the Name of Love, none of the other songs you've mentioned have ever done anything for me. I do enjoy some of their songs but I've always found Bono's politics to be a turn off and I've tuned them out....

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

Absolutely, I always give high praise to Larry Mullen Jr, that guy knows how to keep a tight rhythm going on and is absolutely amazing on the drums.

My favorite songs of U2 is mostly from their early career with albums such as Boy, War and October. Those three albums were raw and boy were they effective. The drums, bass and guitar just cuts through your soul and Bono's voice is fragile yet powerful when needed to be.

Just listen to New Years Day from the War album. The music video was recorded in the harsh winter of Sweden, the song itself is harsh and raw yet beautiful

And let's not forget Out of Control, my all time favorite U2 song. Just crank the volume on this one and let yourself be taken away by that powerful bass and guitar and Larry's drum skills.

gwjensen and Andrew Wasson like this.
  13. Duotone

"Live under a blood red sky" hit me at age 14. Though 14 years after that recording was done it was one of those magical discoveries of my early youth.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  14. montemerrick

montemerrick Listening to something, that’s for sure Strat-Talk Supporter

what's funny is that i think he gets that from both sides. so much so that it makes one wonder what exactly he believes in if nobody likes it - he's like the liver and onions of rock stars.

15. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Brilliant guitarist! Up there as an iconic player who influenced a genre.

I was lucky enough to see U2 before they were really big. They were touring the ‘Boy’ album. I saw them at the Lyceum in London. They were incredible.

16. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talk Member

I always thought his playing was tasteful...right note at the right time kind of guitar player.

17. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

What a ball breaker, The Edge. Lol.

I liked his guy tho, and his guitars ofc.

18. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Yes, sir! :thumb:

19. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

nothing against U2, just not much of a fan. I'll admit to being a touch jaded ... and...

What is it with these aliases stage names?

his name is David Evans for christ's sake...? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And this Paul Hewson character...he wants to be called Bōnō* but insists on...

sh**... forget it. It's harmless. It's just that they're so touchy about it. You see the name written down and pronounce it as it's spelled and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose...

sheeze!

Evans plays and sings very well.

*ETA pardon the dust...seems my use of pronunciation symbology is amiss...I used a long O symbol when what I should have used was Õ...probably shoulda just spelled it phonetically...
    BahNo. there, I said it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Guy Named Sue likes this.
  20. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Good enough to be covered by our very own Strat-Talk 'Euroguestock' group! :D

Love their (as a band) 'earlier' work, grew up with it, a fan. :thumb:
    I think I saw them 5 times live in those years, @montemerrick I still remember a 'pounding' 'bullet the blue sky'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.