The elusive neck pickup in any guitar

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Kstu, Oct 24, 2020.

1. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talk Member

I can live on a strat neck pickup but on a Les Paul, crunchy bridge rhythm all the way. I have a hard time balancing the level of the neck and bridge and the neck can be so boomy.

drp146 likes this.
  2. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talk Member

My SG has a DiMarzio PAF Master that's really clear with plenty of power. Since the 70s the favorite Dimarzio combo is a Super Distortion in the bridge and either their PAF or Super 2 in the neck. The Super 2 is much more powerful than the PAF but way brighter with less bottom. I don't know what power level you're after but if you haven't tried it already I'd try the Super 2. Or maybe some GFS like the Dream 90 or 180, or the Surf 90 or 180.

3. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talk Member

I'm a neck pickup guy all the way...

4. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

My neck pup isn’t even hooked up. Lol AC5158E2-47DB-4E00-80A8-4C368E7D2221.jpeg

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

It's all in the system of the pickups and control electronics. Somewhat scale length and pickup position (LP vs SG neck pickups).

-Lower the pickup, adjust screw poles like little EQ bars.
    -Measure actual readings on your pots 'n caps, and replace with parts that measure in other parts of their tolerance band.
    -series cap on the hot lead of a too muddy pickup
    -swap pickups and go back to the top.

If you like single coil neck pickup tones, then when faced with a humbucker: lower it to the trim ring/pickguard, raise the screw poles in a Strat Stagger pattern, find a volume pot that measures higher on the spec, install a lower uF tone cap, and if really muddy (I find most SDs pretty muddy) then use a 0.047uF series cap on the pickup hot lead.

6. johnted

johnted Strat-Talk Member

I have all three hum-cancelling Dimarzios on my Strat and like them very much. The bridge pickup is the first one I've ever liked, except for people like Keith Richards and otheroldies.

7. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talk Member

I use a DiMarzio Fast Track II as a neck pickup in a few of my LPs. It was originally designed as a single-coil-size bridge pickup for super strats, so it's seriously hot. But standard size humbucker neck pickups are usually muddy on the lower end and are usually underwound compared to the bridge pickups anyway (it's the manufacturer bullet point "matched set" BS, I think). Neal Schon started me using the Fast Track II in the neck, and while it greatly overpowers the hot '57 in the bridge of those guitars in terms of volume, it's been a great choice for that position, especially if I want a second "lead" type pickup.