The Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Gianni, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Gianni

Gianni Strat-Talk Member

In your opinion, what are the greatest albums of all time?
    I listen to quite a lot of music, but I reckon it could go something like this: (No particular order, and missing out a few)

1. Radiohead - OK Computer

The album is simply amazing! I heard Thom Yorke's tortured voice on Karma Police and I was sold! And who can ever forget the sound of Jonny Greenwood erupting into the Paranoid Android solo? Incredible musicianship, versatility and emotion make this one of my favourite albums ever!

2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Only just after Christmas I bought this album. For months the Floyd have intrigued me. I heard Comfortably Numb and was amazed by their sound. I finally got round to buying what is regarded as their best album just after Christmas. It's like nothing I have ever heard! Everything wraps together to create an utter masterpiece. Get it now, if you haven't already!

3. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV/Four Symbols

This has Stairway To Heaven on it. If that's not enough to justify a purchase, I don't know what is! There is the epic majesty of tracks like Stairway and Battle of Evermore as well as awesome riffage like Black Dog. Zeppelin at their best!

4. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol. 4

Tony Iommi is regarded by many as the king of riffs and in this album he does't disappoint. The riffs are heavy and catchy and the solos fast and furious. Essential.

5. Nirvana - Nevermind

I only listened to this album very recently! I picked it up at the same time as Dark Side to see what all the fuss was about and it doesn't disappoint. This album took off a whole genre. Yes, it may seem like a lot of noise at first but the riffs are heavy and simple, but very satisfying and Kurt Cobain's voice suits the music perfectly.

There are loads more albums I could include and I might later. Pretend all of them arere in no particular order. ;)

Attached Files:

2. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

No list would be complete without Beatles.. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Beach boys... Pet Sounds

circles likes this.
  3. Gianni

Gianni Strat-Talk Member

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't listened to Sgt Peppers. I don't have any Beatles actually! o_O

4. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Dark side of the moon is certainly one of the top. People all over the world know the song "Money" just hearing the first few notes. I'd have a hard time naming just a few albums, I've got a collection of 60's and 70's vinyl of all the best music of those decades and to pick a few would be very hard.

5. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

While I (reluctantly) agree that nevermind is a good album, I disagree with the comment that it started the whole genre. Soundgarden was making great albums before Nirvana had the $800 to record their first album. Even though most will say that the Superunknown album was their "prime", I think BadMotorFinger is likely the best, most often overlooked ALBUM of the whole seattle grunge scene. I mean, cummon, Johnny Cash covered Rusty Cage. That's gotta tell you SOMETHING.

circles likes this.
  6. largo

largo Strat-Talker

Yeah, no list would be complete without Beatles.. but i would vote for either the White Album or Abbey Road.

7. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I forgot to add an additional suggestion: The Temple of the Dog album is a fantastic piece of work, as a whole. So much soul.