The Guitar is Back!

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by misterwogan, Jun 14, 2021.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I dusted down my Yamaha Revstar to do this today. The guitar drives the rhythm along nicely and I get to do a modest guitar solo in the outro. There are lots of synths as well - of course. This one is a little different in that it's in the major key, so is happy and upbeat, as well as thumping and pumping.

I've called it June Eighty-Four, but I would really welcome suggestions for an appropriate, short title.

Censport, Jasco, fos1 and 11 others like this.
  2. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I see a Karate Kid montage!

3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Sounds great! Well done, as usual :)

4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

This is bloody awesome! Loving the 80s vibe!

5. misterwogan

Thank you Joel, that's very kind of you. In November 1983, I had my 21st birthday party, and what a party it was! But somehow I was impatient for time to move on, I wanted to move on to the then unknown thrills of the 90s. Now, I just want to get back to 1983...

6. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Sounds great – very cool! When I like to make words look cool – I turn to Latin!! I'm getting the '80s vibes too... sunset drives, Outrun (the video game)... Miami, palm trees, Nightrider, LEDs, neons – driving, pastel pinks, purples, oranges and teals, futuristic-ness, electronic-ness (just brainstorming here!!!...) – so with these words, I will now turn to my old friend: Latine Dictionarius (Yes, I am aware the Latin for 'Dictionary' is probaby 'Dictionary', but 'Dictionarius' sounds MORE Latin!! So there!...) – right... here's what I've got:

sol electronic (Electronic Sun)
    Solis (Sun)
    solis '84 (Sun '84)
    LXXXIV (Eighty Four in Roman Numerals)
    lunius ’84 (June '84)
    Solis Occasum ’84 (Sunset '84)
    Sol Exoriri (Sunrise)
    coegi (Drive)
    Quadringenta Octoginta Novem (Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Four)
    Noctem Coegi (Night Drive)
    Neo Coegi (Neon Drive)
    Neo Luminaria (Neon Lights)
    Lumina Noctem '84 (Night Lights '84)

OK – I'll leave it there, or as they say in Latin – according to Google Translate: Sine modo, ego non... :thumb: !

3bolt79 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  7. misterwogan

A Chara, I am so impressed with the amount of thought that you've put into this, which is way more than I did! I'm loving "Solis Occasum ’84". Unique!

Were you at Belvedere College?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    3bolt79 and J4ME5 like this.
  8. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Not at all mo Chara! Just your regular old Secondary that used to be run by the nuns :) ! I just realised a few years back, that there's something very cool about Latin – I was brainstorming for a business name, and it all sounded so good – it's a beautiful, insteresting – but absurd language, but that's all I know – I wouldn't ever dare say I know Latin... but – the cool thing about it, once you see the patterns – Latin is EVERYWHERE, and English is absolutely FULL of it – as are indeed the other main European languages. Take the word 'absurd' – which I just used, thinking I was speaking English – it's very clearly Latin, and practically anything starting with 'ab' is derived from Latin, most words ending in 'or', or 'tion' or 'ous' – and that's really only the tip of the iceberg... take a look at this list of Latin phrases – you will be very surprised just how much you can work out, roughly speaking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_(full)

"Solis Occasum '84" is cool! The mixture of the Latin (Old) and the modern numbers (new) is cool – there's a... wait for it – the Latin is coming back out! – there's a 'juxtaposition' between the old and the new... or something like that!! It's definitely unique :thumb: !

There's another couple for you 'definate' – definitus, and 'unique' which is also 'unique' in Latin!

Right – I'll stop there or I'll never stop :) !!

9. misterwogan

Oooooh, I remember the nuns.
    George's Hill Convent School, 1968. I had been naughty, or so I assume - maybe I had been scratching my arse when I should have been doing something else. Anyway, my punishment was that she put me under her desk - at the top of the class. So there I was, scrunched-up under this desk with just her two legs for company. So then I decided to explore a little. She was wearing leather boots. So I ran my hand, slowly, up the boots. But there's the thing, I never got to the top of the boots, they just went on and on and on...

Anyway, later my granny came in later and beat her up and I left that school the same day.

10. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

That's crazy, but very believable!! Fair play to your old Gran – there's not many would stand up to the nuns or priests back then :thumb: !!

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. misterwogan

And poor old granny was a four foot six proper altar-eater (spitting image of QE2), but she put that six-foot nun up against the wall and stuck her finger in her face and told her that she shouldn't be getting-off on being cruel to small children. I was so feckin impressed!

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

i thought it sounded great then when the sweet vocal never came I felt like I had been sold a bag of oregano. Sorry man but that hot track is ripe for some good lyrics and singing. Aside that, very nicely done.

13. misterwogan

I don't disagree with you in any way, but you really don't want to be listening to my warbling, which would be closer in tone to nettles than it would be to oregano. This is why the synthwave genre is usually vocal free - but alas, only out of necessity.

Driftwood likes this.
  14. floydrose

floydrose Senior Stratmaster

Some great sounds you got going there Mr W.

15. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

'Dawn', that's short one syllable.

16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Good times in 1983 I got my first electric guitar, an Ibanez RS100. I was spinning Subject…Aldo Nova on the turntable. Remember those?

misterwogan likes this.
  17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘ When I was in Catholic school, in the 2nd grade, one of the nuns tried to get rough with me and she pulled me down the corridor by my ear.
    Well, I was wearing pointed toed cowboy boots. I started to kick her in the ankles. And the she hit me on the side of my head, and then did a chuck norris kick (hehe) and landed one in her stomach and. She, ran away from me and went and called my parents. That was my last day in Catholic grade school, 2nd grade.

misterwogan likes this.
  18. misterwogan

Could have been worse, you could have run into these two...

nuns_on_the_run.jpg

Or this one...

D4rSFiqXkAE6PXq.jpg

All terrifying.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

To me this tune should be called “Mullet” or “Big Hair”