Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The guitar you can never justify buying

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by CalicoSkies, Nov 25, 2017.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Is there a guitar you'd like to own but still can't justify buying?
    I've always mainly played Strats, but for a whil I've had an eye for the Gretsch Duo Jet - Particularly the Cadillac Green color. But for a new one, they're usually around $2500 or so. That's more than I've ever spent on a guitar, and I'd almost rather just enjoy the guitars I already have.

They look nice though, and I like what I've heard from some artists who have played them (such as George Harrison).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6128tcg-duo-jet/517733000148000

Guitarhacker likes this.

2. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

I'd love to own a Custom Shop Strat or a Custom Shop Les Paul. I just can't justify the cost. I often have a hard time justifying my saving up for a EJ Strat. I'm not a good enough player to need a really nice guitar. The three I've got are perfectly fine for my bedroom concerts to an audience of me.

Guitarhacker, Nate D, Neil.C and 2 others like this.

3. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    I want but do not need a Cherry Burst Les Paul

I keep not buying one, but it's a constant temptation

Guitarhacker, Nate D and Raiders757 like this.

4. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    00F118D4-0214-4B74-AAEC-7F4D40133492.jpeg This one. I want one so badly but just can’t come up with a good reason. So if anyone has a reason, please share it. The hard part now is finding one 00F118D4-0214-4B74-AAEC-7F4D40133492.jpeg 408236AD-5263-447F-9632-98B9211FC15B.jpeg

Guitarhacker likes this.

5. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Hey fellow Texan. You’re not alone. I also have an audience limited to myself

Newstratbuilder likes this.

6. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I has always wanted, and will probably always want, a player grade '59 Strat, preferably sunburst or blonde, but the law of diminishing returns makes me stick with my '59 tribute. Maybe one day... maybe one day.

Guitarhacker likes this.

7. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I would hesitate to spend any more than $1,500 on a guitar, even if I could afford it.

waltschwarzkopf likes this.

8. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

They're only $3300 or so.

9. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    "I'd love to own a Custom Shop Strat or a Custom Shop Les Paul. I just can't justify the cost. I often have a hard time justifying my saving up for a EJ Strat. I'm not a good enough player to need a really nice guitar. The three I've got are perfectly fine for my bedroom concerts to an audience of me."

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have a hard time justifying the guitars I have (to myself) and they weren't expensive.

2-Finger likes this.

10. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 22, 2011
    Connecticut
    ES-345, but Lordy I WANT one in the worst way

11. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house

12. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    Any American-made guitar, just because you can get an excellent Asian or Mexican guitar for such a low price. I'd love to have one and to support the US economy, but there value isn't there for me.

TIMB and ocean like this.

13. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Custom shop Journeyman '63 Telecaster closet classic. Just can't see spending nearly $3,500 on a guitar.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

14. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    A three-pickup Les Paul Custom done right by Gibson's CS, with a real ebony fingerboard and all the other trimmings.

The one time I looked into it, the guesstimate was that it would cost something like $8k. I'd love to own one, but I'll probably never want it that badly.

15. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2014
    Colorado

16. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    well, yeah- thanks for bringing THAT up

not only am I nowhere near good enough as a player to justify one of those, I can't afford one either

and I SO want one

Yaralag likes this.

17. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2009
    Virginia
    Justification I don't need, money however is a different story.

18. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Pretty much any American made Les Paul. They charge way too much for what I would like to have, and if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well buy two Strats.

Ebidis and Yaralag like this.

19. Thin69

Thin69 Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Custom Shop Strat, Tele or Gibson. Nice but way overpriced.

Tuica and Ebidis like this.

20. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    SG Standard - it's not even the price tag, it's just that Gibsons aren't the mix-and-match guitars Fenders are.
    I like making a guitar my own by choosing a unique finish (my SG would be red), the perfect neck and so on.
    Gibsons pretty much stay as they are.

I used to say that the day I can play the solo from The Final Countdown, that's the day I'll go and buy a Les Paul.
    But by now, I don't see why I should pay for a Gibson when Epis are just as nice in my eyes - and hands.
    So I don't even want to justify the LP anymore, I'll just get an Epi when I want one.

What makes it easier for me is that my favorite neck comes on the 600$ MIM models and I just don't like many of the features on the high-end models, so the stuff I gas for is 'cheap' enough that I can raise the money for it. And I see no other reason not to buy it...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    RegularJim and ocean like this.