Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The guitar you can never justify buying

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by CalicoSkies, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    Justify to who? Me? No problem. Having the money would be justification enough. Justify to my girlfriend? She might lift an eyebrow but wouldn't say anything. Justify to my ex wife? She'd b!tch until the cows came home. That's why she's my ex wife.

muf magician, Stratoman10 and TomH8 like this.

2. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2010
    Sussex, UK
    For me, a "V". If I bought one, next would come the face paint. Then the hairy chest wig. The platform boots. The divorce...

[​IMG]

Guitarhacker, Kstu, kchurch and 2 others like this.

3. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

4. Stratty

Stratty Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2009
    Prattville, Alabama
    IMG_6732.JPG

I love the Barney Kessel with bow tie inlay and music-note headstock inlay

In the price range of $6000 and no reissue.

Guitarhacker and kchurch like this.

5. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Justify? I only play for fun, so there is no "justification" for even the cheapest guitar. I don't really need a guitar. I want one for enjoyment. So, it comes down to how much money am I willing to spend verses what I need for other things in life. This will vary from person to person. Some folks have a $500 budget, some $5000 and some $50,000...the mentality is the same. Only the decimal point gets moved.

So to answer your question...Martin D-45.

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Isn't fun a good enough justification (at least, to a point)? We all have hobbies and things we enjoy doing for fun, and it doesn't always have to be about work or earning money from it. But perhaps I'm basically saying the same thing you are, that different people have a different budget they're willing to spend on fun.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

7. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Life is good,
    Robin

Guitarhacker and kchurch like this.

8. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY

9. Tuica

Tuica Strat-Talker

Jun 5, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG] An original Cherry Red, Les Paul Double Cutaway. Always liked the look of the LP DC's. No explanation needed. We like what we like. But will probably never want to pay the price for one.

kchurch and BallisticSquid like this.

10. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    ^^^ This. I play just for fun and recreation too, sometimes with other people. Justification for more guitars is tough at this point. A few years back I had some extra funds coming in so I upgraded everything. I feel like I really have everything I need now as a recreational player, a couple of nice strats, a beater strat copy I've had for 20 years, some cheap LP style electrics with different pickups, a decent Martin, another decent acoustic, a beater acoustic, a nice tube amp, a handful of pedals, loop gear.

Hard to justify jack$#it else at this point because I feel like I can cover most of the sonic palette I desire with what I've got now. Of course I gas my arse off for all manner of guitars and gear, but the justification part is really difficult. Talk to me next time I have some extra $ laying around though, I'll probably come up with some legitimate justification that makes total sense. :D

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The lower priced Gretsch Electromatic line are great guitars for well under a grand. My G5420T is superbly built, and such a good player.

IMG_1344.JPG

Guitarhacker, Yves and CalicoSkies like this.

12. mechanic

mechanic Strat-Talker

D18 and 28 for me.
    I'd love em both but I just don't play well enough to justify it.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I agree. Especially when you consider that you can spend a lot more on a vacation than a guitar, and people don't seem to have trouble justifying that.

14. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Any guitar with a price tag north of $2k makes me squirrely. I lusted for a nice Gibson LP Standard for the longest time, and found one heck of a deal and got it for less than $2k.

At this point, I like the idea of having a Gibson LP with P90s and a "real" Fender Telecaster and a Taylor acoustic...but even at prices below $1k I can't justify it. With a strat, tele (G&L), 2 LPs, PRS, and Seagul acoustic...I don't need any more guitars.

In addition to that, I have 3 "processors"...Eleven Rack, G5, and GT-100.

I have all of the gear I need and more. I focus more on playing and recording now.

kchurch likes this.

15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Some say it's better to spend money on experiences than things (your experiences and memories will always be with you). I suppose there's some wisdom in that.

West Coast Idea likes this.

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Right now, my GAS says I need a Strat, a Tele and an LP...but I've always liked the ES-335s. If I could play worth a damn, I wouldn't hesitate. That's my justification level; demonstrate that I can actually play the damn thing...then go get one.

17. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    Theres 2 of those in a vintage shop around here. Both 59's, one tv yellow one cherry. I would love to have the tv yellow. They're asking like $6500 each. They're so damn cool.

Tuica likes this.

18. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    True, but here's a thought. I live for experiences, I mountain bike, ski, paddle, camp, go to live music, travel a little, all great experiences, but having a guitar that I love and paid for once, and then getting into the zone with it, even by myself some night at home, can be just as rewarding of an experience. It's really no less an experience than skiing some epic powder line or some trip I paid out the nose for, and it's right there at my finger tips, without even leaving the house. I wouldn't trade one for the other and consider them all equally great and valuable experiences.

19. aus_kez

aus_kez Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Australia
    Ibanez j custom for me

22EF476E-42A8-488F-B2AD-0EEC1AA7374B.jpeg

Guitarhacker likes this.

20. Kstu

Kstu Strat-Talk Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Toss up of Gibson es335, les paul studio, or ltd eclipse w/duncans. Just bought an Eppy es 335 pro that's worth all $450. Didn't need it..

Tuica likes this.