The Human Condition - how things make us feel

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guitarmageddon, Oct 7, 2021.

1. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

2. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Rainstorms in the mountains! This was two days ago.
    IMG_20211005_175456.jpg

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Visiting family in Colorado as a kid I was soooooooooooooo awed by the summer time lightning storms! Still remember to this day.

4. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Not a religious nor "spiritual" person, and I don't generally like people, but when I am hiking the mountains, walking forests, especially alone, I feel a " connection" or something to this place in which I live, that I am part of a greater whole. This is how I center myself and find peace with the universe.

Packrat, abnormaltoy, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  5. WightTrashMan

WightTrashMan Strat-Talker

Have to agree with quite a few of the replies here, for me you just can’t beat being out in the countryside. There’s nothing more beautiful except perhaps your own small child or grandchild. So enjoying a lovely day with my little boy whilst rambling on the tracks and byways is simply heaven to me.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

OK I think I get it now.

On my motorcycle out in the country or on mountain roads. It's just me experiencing so many sensations and connections. I'm alone yet feel part of something greater than myself.

7. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

for me, being and doing are the front and the back of the same hand.

like a soap bubble wand, i make no sense to myself unless i'm in action.

8. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

coming home to this...nothing is better..all the best GM IMG_0939 (1).jpg

9. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

I have found these special moments have come to me with age. For thirty years my working life was filled with boredom, violence, some fear and occasionally death. I became hardened to these feelings, but now, some years later I find I appreciate little things, like walking my dog, early on a hot summer morning. "We have the sun on our backs boy" is something I say out loud to him.
    These feelings often come as a surprise which makes them even more wonderful and I feel lucky I am alive but also, weirdly, I think I played my part and I'm a decent person.
    Psychologists, pull the bones out of that one.

10. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Strat-Talk Member

"I struggle a lot with depression, but when I’m listening to, or playing music, I feel as if I actually belong. The feelings of alienation seem to fall away, and I have a general sense of well-being."

I can relate to that.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

That looks like around Benson

Packrat likes this.
  12. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 Strat-Talker

Helping people

13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I visited my son this afternoon and cooked some spaghetti and meatballs for the grandkids, my daughter and her children were out there visiting also. The cows grazed in the field behind his backyard and the kids were having a ball feeding them Cheetos through the wire fence. The dogs were chasing each other down the yard and rolling in the mud while the moms screamed and the kids laughed. Beer was cold and the sunset lit the sky red, we all sat in the patio and yakked it out while keeping and eye on the younger ones play.
    I feel very fortunate and grateful about my own human condition.

Lovnmesomestrat and Antstrat like this.
  14. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Far Southeast AZ. The Chirichahua Mountains.

abnormaltoy and Impulsive guppy like this.
  15. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I've had a few years of deliberation on being my Father's caregiver for 2 years. Let's see Mom had passed away already a few years before, she left a Lhasa Apso and I would say the dog got Dad as far without Mom as both of them together could go. As caregiver I did my best to get them both that much further. So watching both decline and pass away was something that both made me feel alive & die inside at the same time. Part of me envies them for not having to deal with what goes on in this world. I mean we all see it day in & out, but we also see the sunrises & sunsets too. So my perspective is the hell on this planet is partly by design, but mostly man made misery. So what makes me feel most alive, vivid memories that seem to have been repressed or forgotten that are now coming back. It's not a depression or insanity, but just a cherishing of anything that really mattered.

I think we all have different experiences & perspectives, how we process our journey. Me, I've seen a different kind of death, gentler & kinder for passing away of old age and body organ failure for just wearing out. A different kind of death than what others demises may have been and I think it's prepared me for my own end in some way.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Gonflyn and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Looking pretty green out there!
    Glad you all got some rain this year.

Packrat and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

Many things make me feel happy! My kids, grandson, dogs, a good glass of red wine . . .

But I really know I’m alive when I get home from a fast motorcycle ride up the local twisty mountain road! Pure adrenaline!

Ian
    SoCal

Antstrat likes this.
  18. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Being in the zone in the twisties, the rest of the world just does not matter only that moment.

19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

When one of my kids has a breakthrough, a success, a moment of bravery, I feel a sense of joy that is pure life. And when my kids go out of their way to stop by and give their old man a hug.

When my dogs smile at me, and when we're out on a hike and they're clearly stoked just sprinting around like they're puppies all over again, so happy to sniff every little thing out there. I'm lucky to have them.

The sense of falling, like a free fall ride. I'm not much of a risk taker, I keep it safe, but a free fall ride or when I'm flying down a single-track flume-like trail on a MTB.

Mental numbness and depression play too much of a role in my life, less so now than, say, ages 7-40ish. But when I've gotten things sorted out for a spell and get a good look at the missus, that's pure joy.

And when I can make someone laugh.

20. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist El Salado Guitartist Silver Member

Short answer... pushing my own boundaries:
    Run a little farther or faster
    Ride a nice twisty road on the motorcycle
    Achieving academic goals that surpass my upbringing
    Teaching someone to something correctly
    Helping someone in need when I can (I love my job, but I ain't getting wealthy with it)