The Importance of strings

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by bdimarzio, Sep 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bdimarzio

bdimarzio New Member!

So after many years of Gibson Style Guitars, I got an itch to re-explore the nuances of the strat and it's traditional sound. Maybe I was listening to too much SRV or Jimi or even possibly John Mayer. I'm not sure.

So I ordered and received a white maple fingerboard Squire Deluxe from Musician' Friend. I was truly impressed with the guitar's fit and finish however since it came in a sealed factory box, I knew It needed setting up. Not a problem, I have the tools and experience.

Try as I might, It never was exactly correct. Even though I adjusted the truss rod correctly, and string height. notes did not really ring. I added the included spring to avoid the annoying (to me) bridge float. Still no joy. The Fender Web page stated that it was shipped with fender bullet strings so, at that time I did not suspect that the problems were caused by Sh*tty strings. But Yes, indeed they were.

I threw on a set of GHS 9.5-43 and It sounded great. Ah new issues. Bridge was floating again, I cranked in the trem claw and bridge was still floating. Drove down to local Music store, bought 2 more strings, and problem solved.

So I do not know if this is a one off, but after this I strongly recommend immediately changing string on any new Squire.

circles likes this.
  2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

I've run into the same thing a few times... no matter how perfectly the guitar is set up, something isn't quite right... it won't intonate, the notes don't ring out, or there are unexplained buzzes or dead spots. Change the strings and the problem goes away. Often if you inspect the strings closely you can find some abortion… uneven winding, kink in the string. I always send an email to the string manufacture, and they usually send out a fresh set of replacement strings.

3. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

I have a Squier Deluxe as well and I was very impressed with it. But yeah the stock strings on mine went into the trash after about the first five minutes.

I too went down a few different roads before coming back to the strat which is why I went the Squier route. More of an affordable experiment at the time.

I started out on a strat back in '86 and obviously giving it was the 80s I went super strat shortly there after. I played humbucker equipped guitars for years then went to a tele for about 12 years and then about 3 years ago I decided to go all single coil strat again. I can't see myself going back to humbuckers ever again to be honest and the strat to me is so much more versatile. I can close enough to a tele tone on the bridge but you can't get those "in between" tones on a traditional tele set up. And I like the raw attitude of the bridge pickup with overdrive versus the smoothness of humbuckers.

4. DFW_Strat

DFW_Strat Strat-Talk Member

I got my Deluxe used it and had 9s on it, and was already set up with very low action. Felt like rubber bands to me, but I’ve been playing acoustic and mandolin for the last decade. I put on some 10s and it was still too slinky for me. I’m now using 11s and I’ve never played a Strat I like better.

glasseye likes this.
  5. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

We must all remember that your strings are what makes the sound,above all else so, selection is all important, I have tried most string sizes out there, and they all have their nuances. I will normally use 10's but i have used 11's before with good results . .....Poppa

circles and Rastus like this.
  6. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Yep,

I don't remember ever bringing a new guitar home without a new set-of-strings to fit up.

Should you ever buy in-store, you'll find they'll be happy to throw a set or two in there with the sale.

Cheers,

Rastus

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I find that my guitars don't sound the same without them.

gwjensen, Ebidis, PCollen and 2 others like this.
  8. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

Just beat me to it Mr Bits..:whistling::whistling:

BallisticSquid likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

I'm still trying to work out if it's a good or bad thing...;)

10. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Yet still not as queer as thee, my dear old thing.

[email protected] likes this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I don't care for fender strings to begin with. Nevermind ones that were put on half way around the world and sat in a box for who knows how long

bdimarzio likes this.
  13. carver

carver Gone strangling

14. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

15. Thrup'ny Bit

I am well versed my old pal, well versed. Not here of course, it wouldn't be beneficial. :p

[email protected] and s5tuart like this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

Behave you...

[email protected] and carver like this.
  17. carver

carver Gone strangling

it was early

that was coffee carver.

he is always up to no good.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

reminds me

19. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

How in the deuce do you manage bends with 11's?
    I have 10's on my '65 and can't bend up much more than a whole step without extreme digital distress...:( (in other words, hurts like hell) I can bend the snot out of 9's but they are a bit more buzzy than I prefer.

20. DFW_Strat

DFW_Strat Strat-Talk Member

I’m not sure what to tell you. Perhaps it just comes down to feel. I tend to use my left hand like I’m choking a bear when I play. Always have and not sure why. I wore out a set of frets on my acoustic in ten years. The tech told me to ease up but it’s just the way I play. I could honestly move up to 12s and be just fine but I don’t like that much tension on the guitar neck.

If you want to beef up your fretting hand, start playing mandolin.

Strat Jacket likes this.