The invisible man (long post/rant)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by largo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. largo

largo Strat-Talker

i said in one of my posts on Friday that i'd be checking out guitar shops today. well, i did.

i started with the local GC. they did not have in any of the Classic Vibe series. i got to play the Mini Strat which was a consideration for grandchildren. after playing it, tho, i scratched it off my list. horrible fret buzz, just terrible. when i commented on it, one of the workers volunteered that another they got in had the same problem right out of the box. i played some MIMs while i was there, a Standard and a Fat Strat. then i moved on to a local shop that's been here for more than 30 years.

at first, i thought i'd struck gold as soon as i walked in the door. right up front on display were the guitars in the Classic Vibe series, including the Duo Sonic. the DS and a CV 50 Tele were displayed on stands right out front, so i picked them up and started to play 'em. then, nearby on the wall were the CV 50 Strat and 60 Strat. i pulled both of them in turn down from the wall and proceeded to play them.

all the while, i was being ignored by the workers and even the owner. now, these guys know me by face and name as soon as i walk in the door. i've come to them first whenever i can for instruments and gear. tho it's been a while, i have bought a guitar there. and yet, even tho i was trying to make eye contact, it was like i was the invisible man. this went on for so long it was uncomfortable, so after a point, i just left. no one called out a goodbye as i walked out the door.

so, much to my frustration, i was able to play the instruments i was curious about, but unplugged...i never got to plug them in.

now i'm not going to write 'em off for one incident. anybody can have an off day, even a whole store. and it was Saturday afternoon, they were busy. so, i plan as early as i can next week going back in there and give them another chance to let me plug in those guitars.

2. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Good luck on your next visit.

I too have had the 'am I invisible?' experience. Makes you wonder if they want to sell their stock!!

Let us know how you get on.

3. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

Think if you'd tried walking out the door with a guitar you might have become a bit more visible! :)

4. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Can't really blame the shop, especially on a busy day. If you wanted to try something plugged in, then you should have gone to the counter and asked.

Weekends are the busiest time for any retailer. I always try to visit during the week where they can afford to spend more time with you.

5. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

yeah, man, don't give up on your local shop. you did say it was Saturday afternoon. they were probably thinking about getting off and going home just like you do on Friday afternoon. plus they know you and that if there's something that you want to play plugged in, you would ask. the fact that you were able to pick a guitar and start playing, says alot. they trust that you aren't going to damage anything. I have the same thing happen to me at my favorite guitar store and I just bought a Gretsch from them. so, as was said go back during the week when it's not so busy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. StratmanNick

John R's right of course, Saturdays tend to be a bit manic and agreed, if you want the the 1 - 1 its got to be a weekday. However, still think some music shops don't go the extra mile for the punter.

Saturdays in music shops: the memories come flooding back. There I was, sitting comfortably having just got hold of a Gretsch and got it plugged in when....this guy comes over and doesnt stop talking at me while I'm trying desperatly to check out the Gretsch. Needless to say I didn't buy it. My loss though, I still don't have one.

7. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

Although I understand your frustration, I don't see why you didn't go up to the counter and ask.

8. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Wow, normally I wish they'd ignore me so I can check out the guitar without someone flying over me like a buzzard waiting for road kill to die. Didn't the shop have any guitar cables out so you could plug in? Most of them around here have a few cords laying around for people to try guitars and amps.

9. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

yeah really, i usually have the problem where they wont leave me alone. just bring a cord next time, turn it up to 11, and then still see if you're invisible!

10. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Yeah, me too. Like, there's absolutely nothing these people can tell me except what price I can finally get it for. I hate when they talk to me. If I want to plug in I ask them, although that insures some chatting of course. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "I have the same model at home and I love it" I'd own a Caribbean Island.

11. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

All i need them to say is "Have any questions or need help with anything? No? Ok, let me know if you do" and walk away. THAT's a good guitar salesman right there.

12. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Part of the problem is they don't train the sales people. They really don't know much about the different models and couldn't answer a question without reading it off the stickers on the guitar. I've also noticed that no matter what I'm looking at the salesman just happens to have the exact same thing at home and loves it.

Agreed, 100%. But the only problem is when you're ready to buy they are no where to be found and it takes forever to get out of the store after you make a decision.

13. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"Can't really blame the shop" ... "yeah, man, don't give up on your local shop" don't worry, guys, i don't and i won't.

as i said in the OP, the store's been here for 30+ years, and these guys know me by face and name as soon as i walk in the door. some of them know me strictly from interactions in their shop, others of them have come to my gigs or i have been to gigs where they're working sound and i've come up and said hello, etc.

and as i also said in the OP, i'm not going to write 'em off for one incident. i made allowances for the fact that it was a Saturday afternoon, and a busy one at that. and so again, i plan on going back as early as i can this coming week and try again.

14. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Had a similar issue back in November. My brother and I went into a local store that he purchases quite a bit from as we wanted to pickup the new CV Strat's and a new amp for myself.

Stood around for 20 mins and when we finally go help I couldn't even get a price quote from him he just proceeds to order it all until I stop him and ask for a price (which was outrageous considering the amount of money my brother spends there). So we left and went to the shop I prefer and I didnt even have to ask, they offered us a deal because we were gonna buy 2 Strats instead of 1 + an amp.

To me, customer service is everything and even my brother wont go back to Long & Mcquades no more.

15. largo

largo Strat-Talker

“When I’m a guest in another man’s home, I don’t reach into his refrigerator without asking.” line delivered by Dwayne (a.k.a., The Rock) Johnson portraying the “retrieval expert” / bounty hunter "Beck" in the movie Rundown.

that's my way of explaining why i didn't just grab a cord and plug in myself. that's just not me. actually there are a couple of reasons.

i consider it one thing to pick up a guitar. for one thing, i know that that's okay in this shop. for another thing, playing unplugged (especially if it's an electric) doesn't create enough noise to bother anyone else in the store. OTOH, every person that plugs in of his own volition increases the noise level in the shop. my approach is to let them decide how much noise, how many people are playing at any one time.

the other reason is that this shop doesn't just leave cords lying around for people to plug in at will. they have 1 spot in the store designated for plugging in and they set you up. of course, they also have their acoustics room.

and FWIW, i agree with the policy. one of the reasons i like this store is because it's generally a quieter place. our local GC leaves cords around and you can plug in at will over there (tho even there, i don't plug in w/o asking), and you often can't hear yourself think. there's always some teen/college student "shredding" away on a Dean in there.

16. StratmanNick

Largo, a man after my own heart. Well said.

Not all of us are "takers,grabbers and me first"

Can see some of the points made here but your last post has made all clear.

Your openness is refreshing

17. johnreardon

I agree with all you say, in fact I wouldn't even pick up a guitar without asking. I just don't understand why you didn't ask the sales people to help you :confused:

18. StratmanNick

I'm as guilty as the next man......as the saying goes: "The meek shall inherit the world, if that's alright with you" :D

19. largo

largo Strat-Talker

John, i probably should have made this more clear. at one point, i did go up to the front counter and wait for acknowledgement. one guy was shooting the breeze with friends that came in, another was waiting on other customers, another worker was in the back somewhere and both the owner and the manager were on the phone. i stood there so long i felt embarrassed. i don't consider their actions to be intentionally snubbing me, they were just busy. i probably could have/should have been more assertive, but it's not like i didn't try to make eye contact or come up to the counter and ask.

20. johnreardon

Sounds like they were just having a busy day. Had the same thing happen to me as well, I just accept it and try again when they have more time.

The chap speaking to friends should have asked you if you were ok though. I would have interrupted him.

Never mind, you potentially saved yourself some money :D