The invisible man (long post/rant)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by largo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. largo

largo Strat-Talker

Gosh, StratmanNick...that's enough to make a fella blush...:oops: :p

2. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"The meek shall inherit the world, if that's alright with you"

:D
    StratmanNick, i didn't notice at first that it was you that posted the rib-ticklin' saying quoted above. i don't know if the saying's original with you, fairly new or old as the hills, but i've never heard it before. i'll be borrowing that line for future reference.

3. FirstFender

FirstFender Strat-Talk Member

Interesting. I never even thought of it that way, although I usually try to play the guitars I play without plugging them in. I'm in that very early learning phase and if I plug it in and someone hears me testing out my C chord through an amp I get terribly embarassed. Never even considered there was an etiquet to plugging in. I'll think of it next time though.

4. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I think the etiquette depends on the store. For example around here the GC's and SA's leave cords laying around so people can plug in and try things out. The GC even has a large bowl of picks on the counter with a sign that tells people to feel free to grab a pick if they need one for trying out a guitar. Of course they keep the expensive guitars out of reach so you have to ask to try one. They also have a special amp room for the high end amps. But the way they are setup is so that everything else is fair game.

5. cmatthes

cmatthes Strat-Talk Member

A good friend of mine and his wife own a great little mom & pop-style shop. This is something that they wrestle with as well. It seems like it's damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't sometimes. When you ask to help somebody, you're bothering them. If you don't ask, you're ignoring them. Sometimes, it can be the same person. They are genuinely friendly to everybody who walks in (at least at first!), but get blown off or brushed off probably as much as get a question.

Tough to read every person that walks through the doors...

6. MTguitar

MTguitar Strat-Talker

Sometimes they do. I worked in the flyfishing industry for severaly years. Several major equipment companies would offer amazing deals to employees. Sometimes as much as 75% off dealer cost. I'm talkin dirt cheap. Combine those deals with the fact that you are always unpacking and messing around with all of the equipment (so you run across alot of sweeties) and you end up with quite a collection in your closet. I doubt if the music industry is much different.

7. echale iii

echale iii Strat-Talk Member

Hey Largo, don't feel bad, I've had the same kind of experience myself.

There were two guitar shops in the town about 20 minutes north of where I used to live. I went to one of the two, bcause they were a Fender dealer, looking to purchase a Tele.

The two guys working were holding court with a few of their buddies, just shooting the ****. Nobody was playing guitars, checking out amps, nothing, and me coming in the door didn't even merit so much as a raised eyebrow. I'm the only guy in the shop actually shopping.

After 15 minutes of being patient and polite, I left. I was halfway across the parking lot when one of the guys (the owner, actually) chased me down and asked why I was leaving, and if there was anything he could help me with....

I was forthright with the guy, but by that point, I was pretty well over it. I told him that I was interested in a particular guitar he had on the wall and had cash in my pocket. I also told him that after 15 minutes of being unable to get a word in edgewise to ask for assistance, I figured they didn't really need to sell me that particular guitar, and, that being the case, I'd just go someplace where they did want to do business....

Rendered him speechless.... Felt good, too, in a "kiss my ass, you idiot" sort of way.