The Japanese Strat Appreciation Thread

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
Like a '68 with the rosewood option very nice. Is it vintage radius etc?

What does it say underneath the main decal? With synchronised tremolo?

I personally think the east in general make great quality instruments and whether from Indonesia, Japan or China my experiences have all been positive. I was going to ask why no truss rod access notch in the guard but I have a vintage adjust truss guitar and it really doesn't do much other than allow you to just see where it is if you've never encountered one before.

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
I also want to say if you want to buy anything and be assured it's been well designed, developed and manufactured a quality Japanese item is the way to go. They think ahead in terms of generations rather than a few fleeting years....

_DSC0171.jpg

_DSC0188.jpg

Just tidied up and waxed my old '2 after fitting new and much improved lights.

31 this year and running great.

Granted it's not a guitar but it is Japanese and it does have "Made In Japan' ready in the CD player at all times...

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Like a '68 with the rosewood option very nice. Is it vintage radius etc?

What does it say underneath the main decal? With synchronised tremolo?

I personally think the east in general make great quality instruments and whether from Indonesia, Japan or China my experiences have all been positive. I was going to ask why no truss rod access notch in the guard but I have a vintage adjust truss guitar and it really doesn't do much other than allow you to just see where it is if you've never encountered one before.
Yeah, it's a 68 clone with the exception of a 9.5 radius neck. The neck is nice and chunky but not baseball bat like. That's the original guard which i've since replaced. Not sure why Tokai missed that notch. The Decal reads "The Quality Musical Instruments Of The World" and the other decal "Oldies but Goldies". Pickups are CS 69s with period correct wiring pots and cap. Love it! 🙂

felis

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 27, 2013
Antwerp/Belgium
My '60s copies, a 1981 Tokai ST80R Springy Sound and the just received 1992 FujiGen ST-62 Stratocaster
IMG-20221111-142332386.jpg

IMG-20221111-142313610.jpg

IMG-20221111-142020378.jpg

IMG-20221111-142511999.jpg

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
I also want to say if you want to buy anything and be assured it's been well designed, developed and manufactured a quality Japanese item is the way to go. They think ahead in terms of generations rather than a few fleeting years....

An interesting comment, when the Japanese guitars that are celebrated in this thread are not in the slightest bit innovative, they are entirely & proudly retro. Tokai made vintage Strat re-issues over 4 years before Fender did - I love them, but you can't claim that a 1978 Tokai Springy Sound has been "well designed, developed" because they weren't designed or developed, they are retro versions made by people with a nerdy attention to detail. That's why they are so good. But please lets not claim that they are something that they clearly are not.

Tokai Goldstars rock!

IMG_3833.JPG

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
Well the factories need the right machines, the components need the right quality materials, the product (as a 'reissue') has to be researched properly to ensure it is as authentic as it can be so in fact I'll stick to my original statement.... Well designed, developed and manufactured.

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
Well the factories need the right machines, the components need the right quality materials, the product (as a 'reissue') has to be researched properly to ensure it is as authentic as it can be so in fact I'll stick to my original statement.... Well designed, developed and manufactured.

They weren't "designed" by Tokai any more than a Baja Tele was "designed" by Fender's Custom Shop, that's a con. The design work was done by Fender in the early 50s, all Tokai did was do a better job of assembling guitars to that ancient design than 1970s Fender were apparently capable of doing. That didn't take much more than good management.