Join Strat-Talk Today

The Latest from S-7 for Charity

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Believer7713, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

It's that time again! In a few months, the KCPD Care Team will be having their annual golf tournament and fund raiser auction/raffle. Several months back, I decided to do another build for them again this year. When I decided to do this year's build I wanted to come up with something completely different. I decided to go with a bit of a different theme while still keeping with the KCPD integration.
    I contacted a guy that I know really well in the Media unit of the PD and asked him to help me make some contacts to two of the largest revenue generators for KC, which the PD also works closely with during their respective seasons. The first one contacted us back almost immediately and was on board for the charity while I had to wait a couple months to hear back from the second.
    The first that contacted me was The Kansas City Chiefs football team. Yes, the 2020 Superbowl LIV winners. They gave me permission about 2 1/2 months ago and so that meant that I needed to wait to hear from the 2015 World Series winners, The Kansas city Royals. I waited for a couple more months and heard nothing so I had to get started and decided to change my plan to make it the Chiefs only with the KCPD. Then a week after the Super Bowl, I got the go ahead from the Royals. Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on two identical guitars for really cheap so I am able to do both of these and make one for each organization.
    Both axes are Epiphone Les Paul Special II bolt on models.
    20200129_232402.jpg
    20200130_161701.jpg
    The beginning of these builds are to follow.

2. Believer7713

Since last year's build of the Coin-Caster I have been asked to do all kinds of inlays and custom paint jobs in/on guitar bodies. I have inlaid quite a few challenge coins even a police badge and many custom paint jobs with custom etched neck plates (which I order but design)
    This time I decided to combine the coin inlay and the custom neck plate.
    To start, I screwed the plate to a block and marked the center with a scratch awl then hit it with a center punch.
    20200218_160117.jpg
    Then with a 1 3/4 inch hole saw in my drill press I cut out the center.
    20200218_160449.jpg
    20200216_195409.jpg
    20200216_195423.jpg
    after cleaning up the edges I put some tape on the back of the plate and screwed back down to the block and mixed up some clear epoxy. Filled the hole in the center and glued placed the coin into the glue until it started to ooze out of the edges.
    20200218_170351.jpg
    after it set up but hadn't cured I used a razor blade to remove the excess epoxy from around the coin.
    20200218_174315.jpg
    With a little 0000 steel wool I cleaned up the residue from the glue and removed the tape from the back side making a custom neck plate with one of the challenge coins that was a gift to every member of the PD from the Chief this last Christmas.
    20200216_224114.jpg
    20200216_224103.jpg
    Since there are two guitars I had to double it up and make another one once I knew this would work for sure.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome it's kick off!! Very exciting!

On the first plate did you put the coin on the back of the neck plate?

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Believer7713

No, I did both of them the same with the front side out. They both will also have a Care Team Supporter coin added to the bodies but I still have to figure out how I am going to add them in. I decided this year to keep the guitars with 2 pickups in them too.

Bodean and Guy Named Sue like this.
  5. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Always like watching your builds, what colour you going for with them?. One White ,one blue perhaps ?. :thumb:

Believer7713 likes this.
  6. Believer7713

I'm thinking white and blue for the baseball guitar because it's the Royals colors. Then Red and gold for the Chiefs guitar since that is their colors.
    Interesting little fun fact that's worth less than the time that it will take me to type it.
    When I was in high school and played football our team was the Atchison Redmen and our school colors were Red and Gold. Since we were not far from KC and our colors were the same some of the players for the Chiefs would donate their still usable uniforms to the surrounding area schools and we were one of the recipients. I don't know whose uniform pants I had but they were hand me downs from the NFL in the early 90s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bodean and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Believer7713

Last night, I got a really good start on the layout of the body. I wanted to put the actual team logo on it somehow but wanted more than a sticker. Since I can't air brush right now I used a vinyl decal as my template for what comes next. Furst was to clean the body really well with some alchohol so the decal would stay in place. Then after applying the logo I fired up the router and Dremel and, very nervously, got started. Keep in mind, all of this is freehand routed. I did trace the sticker but there were no physical guides for this.
    [​IMG]
    I started with the outside edge and worked my way in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look at the way the KC is laid out in the sticker you can see that the K is in front of the C
    [​IMG]
    Since I am making this all 3D I wanted to stay true to the actual logo so I routed the C slightly lower than the K
    [​IMG]
    Then here is a pic of how I left the body last night after over 3 hours of nerve racking work because I only had one chance to get it right.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. Believer7713

Today in the shop I spent a lot of time with a particulate mask on working with the orbital and spindle sanders as well as a lot of block and hand sanding.
    Not much to tell really so I'll just let the pics do the talking for me. Plus my arms are pretty worn after almost 3 hours without stopping.

After the orbital and spindle sanders only.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After sanding all of the edges by hand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is hands down the messiest part of the job.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

Will you be doing the resin thing on any of them?

Believer7713 likes this.
  10. Believer7713

Wellllllll!!! you will have to wait and see what will be happening as it unfolds. Stay tuned to the same bat time same bat channel.

11. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Your posts on these projects are some of the most fun to follow on this forum!! You definitely have a special skill!

ZlurkCorzDog and Believer7713 like this.
  12. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Strat-Talker

i agree, think the guy is a genius !!!

13. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

14. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Lets not go to far believer will get a big Head.

ZlurkCorzDog and Believer7713 like this.
  15. Believer7713

Who me?
    [​IMG]

16. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

You got this. Looking good brother.

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Believer7713

I got started on the next step last night and finished it up today. It may mot seem like mich but trust me it definitely wasn't much fun.
    I drilled a hole from the bridge pickup cavity into the border route of the arrowhead. Keep in mind this is a blind drill and required drilling from both directions to make it happen.
    I started by marking approximately where I wanted the hole to be with a piece of striping tape. Then using a C/V joint type swivel on my drill I drilled the hole starting in the pickup cavity. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since I couldnt get the angle I needed to get from one end to the other, I went into the point of the arrowhead and drilled with a smaller bit into the hole I already drilled. After confirming that I connected the two holes by shining a light theough them I still had some work to do. I used a drill bit with a hex end on it and turned it with my fingers for about 1/2 hour in order to ream the transition opening of the two tunnels to openit up then checked it with a zip strip.
    [​IMG]
    In the process of drilling the second hole I chipped a piece off but was able to save it and glue it back into place. It can be seen here.
    [​IMG]
    Now here is the reason for the hole. When this id all said and done the outline of the arrowhead will glow gold.
    [​IMG]
    I had to make a way to get the lights in it without being seen on the final product.
    [​IMG]

18. Believer7713

Ok, today's contribution to this thread had me starting on the second guitar body for this years donation. Since the first one is themed after the KC Chiefs then it is fitting that this one would be for the KC Royals.
    In the same fassion as the first guitar I started with a Vinyl decal, my router and my Dremel on the precision router base. A couple hours later I had this.
    [​IMG]
    Then to the drill press with a 2 inch Forstner bit for the Care Team Supporter coin.
    [​IMG]
    I do have an oops on the top of the crown that I will need to correct since I looked away while working it but it shouldnt be too much work to fix.

Bodean and Guy Named Sue like this.
  19. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I couldn't figure out why you needed a hole drilled from the pickup cavity to the decal route, but after seeing the "lit up badge", I realize why I am just a guitar mechanic and you are a "builder of amazing "objects of art". Both of those guitars are going to be real prizes!! Amazing stuff!

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. Believer7713

So another day down and another step done. On the baseball guitar, I decided to do something a little on the ballsy side...especially with an Epiphone neck.
    Using a 1 3/4 inch hole saw I got started with a little weight relief. Lol
    [​IMG]
    Another perfect fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the neck is also sanded and ready for the sealer stage with the two bodies and I am finished with these two for today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.