The more I learn...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jbylake, Jun 10, 2021.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-O-Master

We're not allowed to say their names anymore. :oops:

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

That's great but not my point.

Sven mentioned different levels of success in the music industry.

The point is you can have a satisfying, lucrative career in Music without the trappings of "stardom". :)

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

What's making it?

I could never find enough gigs. Wrong area. Grew up in BF egypt, no internet, where everything was a trade secret. Finally made it to an area where I can play all the time and even got me a little credibility, some times make a few dollars, and get some appreciation for my efforts. Wasn't massively talented, just massively stubborn. I don't quit. But I sure watched a lot of guys pull the "didn't make it by 30 so I quit and got a real career" stuff. Thanks to the quitters.

I'm happy gigging 3-4x per week, playing LOUD AF, and maybe working a little side gig here and there for some extra cash. I took some good advice to keep expenses low and have my own place I own so bonus on pursuing mostly music. I've gotten to gig with a name artist or two (BFD) and have worked with many guys who are legend level on their instruments or guys that have worked with well known names. I have some pretty cool cats in the band right now. I have had many adventures and lived and gigged in many nice southern locales and seen guys go from being nobody beginners to smokin' hot players. Memories of hot summer nights and smoking jam sessions. I have met the best and worst humanity has to offer in the business. It's been a pretty cool ride and I can't imagine having done something else. I'm more ruthless than ever and it has played in my favor. All or nothing. Hoping to squeeze a few more years and a few more bucks out of it and even have developed a musical retirement plan if my current gigs run dry or I just can't keep that pace any more. Heck yes I "made it".

fattboyzz and jbylake like this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I came to the same conclusion several years ago when thinking about how many young musicians of my generation either burn out or extinguish themselves due to the rock and roll lifestyle. Fortunately I've been highly successful making money not as a musician. If I had been successful as a musician in my youth, I probably would have burned out of flamed out from the excesses of rock and roll and it would have been nobody's fault but mine. Besides, as an older me, I'm a way better guitar player than that younger me ever was.

5. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

I would, having been the same, probably been the same, had I been a serious Rock or Country or etc.. super guitar player. Crap ,who knows. But I would bet I would have ended up on the bad, considering the drugs, BS. And an ass I probably would have been, given the girls, money and fame I would have had.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  6. jbylake

Yeah, Fezz, however you have had the opportunity to play every thing from country or rock or whatever. Your back story is really fantastic. I think, but may be wrong, that you mostly are a country guy, however, you're also a session player, it must be a really cool, a great ability to have. I kind of like just being a simple blues guy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    fezz parka likes this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

I was in a small-time band for 4 years. We were called Dead Is Forever (you can find us on youtube and apple music etc) and we were a metalcore band, so music that probably wont appeal to many of you here. Our gigs mainly consisted of 30-45min sets usually second or third on the bill, on a thursday night, in some bar somewhere where the audience was mainly the other bands, staff, and a handful of people. A couple reviewers said nice things about both our EPs, but nothing more. We never progressed beyond this, and whilst I quite honestly say that we put on a really good tight show, had EVERYTHING nailed, we were hardly "stellar" enough to warrant being the next big thing. As a family guy that suited me, the genre we chose was limiting in any case, we would never had made the mainstream, and in any case band infighting towards the end made sure we'd have broken up sooner rather than later had we made any progress.

Sure was fun though, I got a buzz out of playing live, and really enjoyed my time with the band. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but would be happy to stay at that level I think. as others have said, playing for beer money is fine with me. A weekend covers/originals band playing the pubs for a couple hundred quid once or twice a month would do me just fine these days.

cranky and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. snsn

snsn Strat-Talk Member

It's been a great run for me...no complaints...
    I can even retire today....and long as I die tomorrow!!!:cool:

jrbirdman and Driftwood like this.
  9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I'm a rock guitar player that plays whatever he wants to play. Blues, Rock, jazz, country, polkas. :D
    Blues:

Hard Rock:

Jazz:

Country rock:

Polka:

jbylake, Andrew Wasson and rolandson like this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I'm dig'n Der Bubbles Mr. Parka...:)!

fezz parka likes this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It's my Rhubarb Red tribute.

jbylake and rolandson like this.
  12. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think that's true for anything that's worth learning. Fly long enough, high enough, and you see that the rest of your universe is infinite.

jbylake and Andrew Wasson like this.
  13. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

My Grandpa used to make that statement all of the time. Now that I'm 59, I understand. Things become less black and white.

jrbirdman and jbylake like this.
  14. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

:thumb:

OH, you’re a MUSICIAN !!!:thumb:

fezz parka and jbylake like this.
  15. jbylake

Fantastic. Your diversity makes me envious:D On the flip side, I could live without the polka..:p

fezz parka likes this.
  16. jbylake

No internet? Damn that must have been rough back in the olden days. No cell phones either? No religion too?

17. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It's a lifetime spent playing and learning.

If you're going to do a Lester Polfus tribute...it might as well be a polka. It's just the blues played differently. The I...the IV...the V. In a different form. ;)

jbylake and fattboyzz like this.