Join Strat-Talk Today

The Most Stratocaster For The Least Money Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by strick909, Apr 15, 2019.

1. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

The best bang for the buck used Strat is the one you get the best deal on ........period, it has nothing to do with any particular model.
    Having cash on hand and finding a motivated seller will get some incredible deals.

123223, strick909 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

I've heard good things about those CV Teles, but never have handled one.

3. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

If they are Squire, why do the headstocks have Fender logo's ?

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

My vote goes to a strat-like guitar that isn't even a Stratocaster... A Yamaha Pacifica 112. I have several strats, my favorite being my American Professional, but that little Pacifica gets almost as much play as the AP. You can find them used for under $100 all day long. I paid $100 for mine that came with a nice tweed case. I even like the stock ceramic pickups. If it was my only guitar, I could do just fine.

strick909 likes this.
  5. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

This is a pretty impossible search for a (cheap) Holy Grail. How many millions of Strats are for sale and whose subjective opinion will determine whether one or another is the "best bang for your buck".

Everyone usually says/thinks they got the best deal - I mean who would say "I overpaid and it sucks but I'm really happy about it". lol

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

While the Pacifica no doubt represents an incredible value, I’d still argue that the Squier SE Special has a significant advantage in the fact that most of the components interchange with the higher quality Fender stuff, which makes it far easier and cheaper to both upgrade and improve...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    strick909 likes this.
  7. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

Classic vibe new or used and a used American Standard with case for 7 bills. Hey wait that's what I got

strick909 and Bob the builder like this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

They are MIM Fender Squier Series. It was later changed to the Traditional Series. They werea considered to be on the lower end of the spectrum as far as quality but the bodies and necks were made in Corona then shipped to Ensinada, rumor has it due to the fire. The necks and bodies were then mated with Mexican ceramic p'ups and Chinese hardware and electronics to make it. Squier Series was printed in the ball of the headstock in 94-about half way through 96 when the line was renamed the Traditional Series, I think, and then nothing was put in the ball. They are easily identifiable by the all black Fender Logo.
    20181106_164609.jpg
    So they are not Squier made at all. It was, and still is a point of both contention and confusion for many people. I just know that you can buy them cheap as they have almost no resale value but they are phenomenal players.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Not to start a debate, because this is pretty much a subjective exercise, and the OP didn't list upgradability as a criteria, but the only component that isn't interchangeable with higher end Fenders is the neck. The bridge is the exact same spacing as a MIM standard. Tuners, hardware, and all the electronics are interchangeable. I guess the pickguards aren't interchangeable, but there are plenty of after-market ones available for the Pacifica.

AxemanVR likes this.
  10. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

On the used market, I think you get the most for your money with a Jimmy Vaughn Sig. They have a great feeling soft-V neck, pretty decent stock pickups, and every one I’ve played has been light and responsive. You can find them for 350USD, but they perform like a much more expensive guitar.

archetype and strick909 like this.
  11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Neck interchangeability is obviously only important if a person doesn’t like the one that came with their guitar.

Plus, if modding is not considered part of the criteria, then I suppose the Pacifica might have a certain “quality advantage” out of the box (so to speak).

On the other hand I like modding so, as far as I’m concerned, the Squier SE Special is still “King of the Cheap-Ass Strat-Style Guitars”!

Subjectively speaking of course...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  12. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

There's your answer, right there. I also heard that the Squier Series instruments were made from the same bodies and necks as the American Strats at the time, just assembled in Mexico and finished with cheaper hardware than the other lines (e.g., one-ply pickguards). I've played several great examples, and of course they can be modded to fix any perceived shortcomings. I've got one right now that I was going to sell but after setting it up it played and sounded so nice (even with the stock pickups and bridge) I couldn't get rid of it. But what really sets those guitars apart is what a bargain they are. I, like the poster above, got mine for under $200. Even though those deals don't come along every day, black logo 90s Fenders generally sell for less than later MIMs, and especially the Squier Series---even though they are absolutely "real Fenders," having the word "Squier" anywhere on the headstock drops the resell price. I do not think there's a better bang-for-the-buck Strat (or Tele, for that matter) out there.

strick909, Believer7713 and AxemanVR like this.
  13. eco7077

eco7077 Strat-O-Master

road Worn? I have heard the same about them from everybody, they seem to be special!

AxemanVR and strick909 like this.
  14. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I say it all depends on the person and your ideal guitar. For me, it’s a Classic 50’s or 60’s. They have the feel and vintage tone right out of the box. If an American Pro does it for you, that’s great too.

kris ford and strick909 like this.
  15. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

the classic series and the classic players are about $400 used and imo have high quality of fit, finish and hardware.

16. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Another option that I've had good luck with as well as the Strat SE is the Starcaster by Fender Strat. Full size bodies with nice necks, believe it or not. Great modding platforms.
    Heer's one that I took the neck from for my P90 monster and put an SE neck on. A different pickguard and a Pariah Pasadena Series "Black"...wound to the same specs as the most famous humbucker in HM history. Also reliced to match.
    20181028_230315.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    strick909 likes this.
  17. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

I think you can't go wrong with a used mim standard.

strick909 likes this.
  18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

The three I have I consider best bang for the dollar guitars and each one is in a different cost bracket.

The low cost Fender “Squier Series” Strat is just a killer guitar with deep contours of the original 50’s Strats and comes with an amazing neck. The bridge is fine but the saddles aren’t my favourite and the tuners definitely need replacements. I’ve also swapped out pickups and electronics in mine. I bought my 94 model for $250 Canadian Dollars ($187 US).

The middle price range is my Classic Player 60’s. Superb attention to detail, Custom Shop components and the Mexican version of the CS69 pickups. The Classic Player 60’s has about the best bang for the buck for a production non signature Strat. I bought mine, a 2010 model for $700 Canadian dollars ($523 US).

The high end for me is the Eric Johnson Strat. Everything about the EJ screams Custom Shop Guitar. I’ve never played a better Strat. I bought my 2012 model earlier this year for $1,300 Canadian dollars ($970 US).

If I could only have one Strat, the Eric Johnson Strat would be the one. I love the 2-point modern term on my CP60’s Strat but the EJ Strat wins in every other category.

strick909 likes this.
  19. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-Talker

I have an MIM Lone Star, and I love it. I tried lots of different stuff for around the same money, but the Lone Star was easily the best, for me at least. The Squier Classic Vibes are amazing for the money too, but the super-skinny neck put me off the CV60s Strat I tried.

strick909 likes this.
  20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Tokai Springy Sound. $75.

strick909 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.