Join Strat-Talk Today

The Most Stratocaster For The Least Money Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by strick909, Apr 15, 2019.

1. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-Talker

I would say if I had to go strictly by the title.

Most for the least amount of dough

A
    Squier II

Amazing necks

strick909 likes this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Interesting...I never knew. All they had to do was change "Squire Series" decal to "Deluxe Series" and BOOM..you have the higher end MIM guitars like my Nashville Tele. I should keep my eyes out for one of these.

3. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Ping me when you find a Fender Classic Player for $400 so I can buy it.

4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Sorry I overlooked the fact that you’re a new member. Welcome from Ireland

strick909 likes this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

It's funny how when you do find one of these, the frets are normally worn out...at least in my experience. That shows how much they are loved by those that won them. Both of mine had worn frets so I used them as learning platforms to refret. My white one was the second guitar that I did a full refret on and my black one was the first with a gloss maple board.

strick909 likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I did a quick search on eBay and, if availability accounts for anything, the Pacifica 112 beats everyone else by a country mile. While most were selling in the $200 range, I did see a couple that sold for around $100 (when including shipping) so there are deals to be had.

There were also a few Fender "Squier Series" Strats that had recently sold, but the ones I saw were mostly selling in the $200+ range.

The same goes for the Squier II.

As far as the Tokai "Springy Sound" goes, I must be doing something wrong, because they were all selling well into the upper $200 to $300 range and beyond...

Of course local sales and CraigsList items probably go for a lot cheaper, so it's difficult to tell what the actual "street value" really is.

That being said, there always seems to be a steady stream of Squier SE Specials available in the $100 to $140 range, so (out of pure stubbornness and spite), I stand by my choice of All-out best cheap choice in low-end-cost but high-end-quality used Strat style guitars:

The Squier SE Special Strat I says! :thumb:

s-l1600.jpg

`

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    stormin1155 likes this.
  7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I found mine a few years ago for $250 CAD which works out to just under $200 US. I was looking for a MIM Standard but I got lucky and this one popped up. I had read about them so I knew pretty well what I was looking at. The poly is flaking off the headstock but the rest of it is fine. The body contours are really deep like an early Strat which I really like. Mine is at least 4 pieces and you can see the seams fairly easily. I think it adds to the character. The neck is amazing on these guitars. They’re really, really well made. I demoed mine before I bought it on the guys front porch, in the snow in January and it took all of 30 seconds to realize this was the guitar for me. They’re a diamond in the rough for sure.

Bob the builder and Believer7713 like this.
  8. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

classic vibe seems to be the winner

if you can get behind that over glossed neck. but whatever.. thats an easy fix

AxemanVR likes this.
  9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Yeah...

I guess I'd have to agree that as a "total package" the Classic Vibes are extremely hard to beat for playability, affordability and tone. I'd have absolutely no problem recommending one to anybody looking for a great, all around, honest-to-goodness Strat at a very accessible price.

The only problem? They're so damn popular that it's extremely difficult to get a smokin' hot deal on a used one!

`

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

Mine had been refretted at least once when I bought it. Clearly, it had been played a LOT. I don't know who had it before me (I got it at a pawn shop) but that axe made a lot of music.

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Both of mine had their first refrets by me. I probably could have gotten by with just a level and dress on the white one but I really don't care for small frets to start. When you start with small frets and then remove material then small becomes really small and I really don't like that. So I went back with Jackson sized frets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

12. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-Talker

I like very glossy necks. Satin or unfinished completely puts me off a guitar. I appear to be the only one!

kris ford likes this.
  13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

In terms of value for money I’d say the early highway ones..

AussieRob, CephasG and REWTX like this.
  14. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Nope, you're not alone....I can not stand satin, glossier the better for me!

Suffice it to say the 70's Classic necks are PERFECT to me!

15. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Last iteration of the AM. Standard used, of course

16. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

There's no single best answer, because it will still come down to your preferences. If you need a wider nut width like the Am Standards have, then a MIM isn't going to be the "best bang" for your personal needs even though they're a great value. If that's a sticking point, then I'd say a used Am. Standard is the best bang for your buck. Beyond Am. Standards, I think you get diminishing returns -- a strat is a pretty simple instrument, and once you get into custom shop, signature territory, I don't think those are a good value unless there's some particular feature on those that you absolutely must have.

So here are a variety of answers depending on what is important to you -- all of these are assuming you're buying used:

MIM Standard (the previous iteration, before they came out with those MIM player models): If you're okay with the slimmer nut width (relative to the Am Standard nut width), are not picky about fingerboard radius and fretsize and are okay with the ceramic pickups, or are willing to spend $100 or so to replace them with some solid alnicos, I think these are a great value.

American Special: If you like taller frets, and are okay with the slimmer nut width and larger headstock, these are the way to go. I have one of these and love it. I haven't changed anything on mine.

Classic Player 60s: If you like vintage specs, these are fantastic. No need to change anything. I'm not wild about them because they don't have headstock truss rod access. I hate having to unscrew my neck bolts to adjust the truss rod.

American Standard (the ones they discontinued a year or two ago): If you like a wider nut width, and are okay with the 9.5 radius and medium frets, then I think these are the best value. I have one of these with the Fat 50s. It sounds great, and I use it more for fingerpicking and open tuning stuff because the wider nut width helps with that.

The squiers are alright, they're cheap, they work, but I've never end up keeping one. Most of them just seem to miss that "something" -- that feeling of solid quality that I think you get from the MIM on up. The classic vibes are the best of the squiers, but I've never ended up keeping one for that long because there's always been some aspect them I don't like, usually too thin of a neck or an overly plastic feel. They do come stock with great sounding pickups, though, and if you're on a real tight budget I think they're a good option.

Duane_the_tub and kris ford like this.
  17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Early 80's Squier (MIJ) Strat.

18. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

Where are you people finding $350 Jimmie Vaughans and $400 Classic Players? Unfortunately, I live in the real world, not fantasy-land, and cannot recall seeing either of these on Reverb for less than $500. In my area (SF Bay area) MIM standards normally go for at least $400 on Craigslist. Of course, that may be subject to bargaining, but the prices I see in this thread seem unreal to me.

AxemanVR and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Jerryarnett

Jerryarnett Strat-Talker

The best bang for your buck stratocaster is a Eric Johnson strat for what you get for your money they are a bargain at full new price let alone used price considering you would have to spend 4k to get another strat that feels plays sounds any better

javacody and Andrew Wasson like this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Subjective of course. I'm a fan of the Jimmie Vaughan Strats because of the neck and I can live with the Tex Mex pickups. They can be had cheap if you get lucky, I've owned a few and never paid more than $300.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    javacody likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.