Join Strat-Talk Today

The Most Stratocaster For The Least Money Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by strick909, Apr 15, 2019.

1. arithon

arithon Strat-O-Master

I like vintage pups, vintage radius necks, and lacquer...so though my vote is a for a much more expensive guitar than others mentioned- they are worth it to me and I feel like short of a custom shop they are the best guitars Fender made... the value to dollar ratio is super high on these

For me the AVRI and the newer American Vintage line...those are killer guitars... used in the 1300-1500 range. That isn't much more than the usual American standards or equivalents and I feel they are miles above.

These two are the best strats I own, and I'd put them up against any custom shop guitar. Both had for around 1200-1300 used in mint condition.

red is AVRI '57 and black is the the '56 american vintage .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dbolt and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i forgot i bought mine about 5 years ago, so yeah you're right, but if i see 1 i will let you know.

3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yeah... I try like heck to get really good deals but I never see anything like $350 for a Jimmy V or $400 for a Classic Player. Jimmy Vaughan Strats are always about $750 up here and Classic Players never drop below $700.

I've seen a bunch of Strats come and go in your posts and I'm pretty sure you've got some buying secret voodoo that the rest of us just can't fathom. I see it happen but I can't repeat it. I get decent deals but nothing close to $300 Jimmy Vaughan strats. Not yet anyway.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I'd agree with that. Yes, it's going to run over a grand for the guitar but nothing in that price range has the attention to detail or features. I bought one for $1300 Canadian which is just under $1000 USD and it's the best strat I've ever played. The looks, the neck, the playability and the tones. They're remarkable.

5. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

It depends on the market. You're in the SF Bay area, and I'm in Ohio. Our economies are entirely different.

Take real estate for an extreme example. My daughter's friend lives/lived in this single-family home. It's 11,000 sq feet with 6 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms, and it sits on 6 acres. It has been on the market for over a year at a price of $799,000. (Yes, that's a turret behind the tree, and yes, there is a full suit of armor in that room.)

[​IMG]

What would $800K get you in the Bay area? Maybe a 1,000 sq foot condo?

Unfortunately, our earning power around here is as limited as the property values. Wages are low, real estate is low, and used guitar prices are low. If that makes it fantasy land, then so be it.

6. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I once picked up a MIM Squier Series Strat for $60. I've bought two MIM Standards for $250 each. I got my Strat Plus for $700.

But bang-for-the-buck? I bought an Indiana strat-style guitar at a pawn shop for $10. I ripped it apart, painted it, and reassembled it. I filed the fret ends, and I set the string height and intonation. I intended to replace the pickups, but once I lowered them to the pick guard they sounded pretty good. The pots work fine, the tuners work fine.

The doggone thing plays great. (Confession: it does have a high fret that I'll have to take care of.) It's certainly not an equal to my Strat Plus, but if the litmus test is trying to find the most Strat for the least money used, I'd choose this one, even over the $60 Squier Series.

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

As it's been said several times already, it's all relative to the person. I like my Squier Series axes do much that I would almost give up my Bullet Series from the same era that my parents worked so hard to get me. It's turned into another pretty nice guitar with some work but my black SS just takes the cake right now. Let me know if you decide to get rid of that SS. I like them enough to get a third.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I think used MIM Standards are great deals.

9. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

Agreed, a gig-worthy guitar as issued or a perfect tableau for building a monster.

Ebidis likes this.
  10. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

I found a 2010 Am Deluxe Strat in Olympic Pearl for $700 - which when you consider they went for $1800 CAN and after swapping pickups it become an amazing sounding as well as great playing guitar - the Am Standards are going for more than that here and not as discounted on the used market. And I find the neck more to my liking - so bang for buck, hard to beat this one around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Buy used MIM Standard.. upgrade whatever you want and have a sleeper.

Get some killer pickups and show up with your “bargain” Strat sounding better than stock MIA.

Now that’s what I’d do.. and have done.

12. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

to each his own.... big headstock and humbucker? not for me, at any price. Bang (playability, tone, fit, finish) for the buck (as few as possible) goes to the Classic Vibe, $250 average price used. The basic or "standard" Squier for around $90 is solid as well, only needing some fret dressing usually to make it a very usable guitar.

Does it HAVE to say Fender on it? If so, American Standards have a lot going for them and can be had for $500 with some shopping.

AxemanVR likes this.
  13. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

70's Classic series has you covered then! :D
    [​IMG]

14. REWTX

REWTX Strat-Talk Member

This

CephasG likes this.
  15. tingtongtone

tingtongtone Strat-Talk Member

i have a 2006 60s classic player. best strat ive ever owned. played a american custom shop the other week. its honestly comparable to that and much better than any us reissue ive tried.
    tremolo is fantastic. it NEVER goes out of tune no matter how much you use it. im sure other 2006 owners will attest to that. and the neck is gorgeous. only guitar ive ever owned that i would never even think of selling.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

MIM Standard would be ok, but I don't care for the string spacing, fret size, or.piclups.

RE the Jimmie Vaughan I own two Tex Mex strats, $200 and $325 each. I could have a red one for $350 on local CL a few months back.
    As marked on Reverb and eBay they are listed for more...but are they selling?.
    Basically an American level guitar at used Mexico prices. Research the specs yourself. Great value. Buy and play...no upgrade needed.
    I'd love to get my hands.on a blue one.

17. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

if you're handy (can finish wood, solder connections and turn screws and dress frets) you can put together as good (functionally, not talking flaming maple, fancy relic or stuff like that) a strat or tele style as you want for the price of a used classic player or classic series... if that's not your thing, then a used classic player or classic series would be my choice

Believer7713 likes this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I once picked up a Classic Series 50s in Surf Green for 320 on craigslist.

Pretty good deal.

arithon likes this.
  19. arithon

arithon Strat-O-Master

Those are outstanding guitars for the money.

20. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Ditto on the mid 90s MIM Squier Series black label Strats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.