Join Strat-Talk Today

The Most Stratocaster For The Least Money Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by strick909, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

Yep! I recently picked up a used classic series 70s, one of the natural finish ones. Love it.

kris ford likes this.
  2. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

I bet! I love every one I've ever owned, and used a 70's Classic neck for my last parts build.

3. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Likewise love mine...

[​IMG]

As for the most strat for the least cash... I'd say the new Squier Classic Vibe 70's which is replacing the VM70 and retailing at more than the said VM before it but still well below the 50's & 60's CVs. New poplar bodies, bone nut, walnut at the truss and a 'proper' black seventies logo along with more classic strat sounding Fender designed pups.

If you're looking new about the most strat you can get for the least money. If the criteria is used then it' the VM or a keenly priced CV.

kris ford likes this.
  4. brashboy

brashboy New Member!

I recently bought a CV in burgundy mist (matching headstock) with Kinman noiseless pickups -- Traditional Mark III -- in mint condition for 425. It's pretty nice...

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Last weekend someone had a 95 MIM Squier Series on CL for $75 Canadian. Someone jumped on it before me. That would have been the ultimate most Strat for least money. I don’t think anything could touch that.

I mentioned mine earlier in the thread. It’s a 94. I bought it for $250 a few years ago and for the past week or so I’ve been playing it again. I’ve been almost exclusively playing my EJ Strat since I got it but last week the Squier Series was calling out for some attention. It looks a little beat up but man, what a player it is. The neck. I don’t know the profile but it’s very nice.

6. javacody

javacody New Member!

Here's my opinion.

When it comes to strats, I've had everything from an Squier Afinity up to a Fender EJ Rosewood.

The EJ was the best Fender I ever played hands down.

But the Affinities are nice guitars, too.

But the best strat style guitars?

Please don't kill me, but the Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass is my 2nd favorite with the PRS Silver Sky being number 1 for me.

I had the EJ then got a Cutlass. Sold the EJ.

Had the Cutlass, then the Silver Sky came out. Bought 2. Sold the Cutlass.

The neck on the Silver Sky is a thing of glory. The 7.25" radius fretboard is a dream come true. The only drawback is that they've eliminated a little too much high end.

But if I lost all of my guitars tomorrow and I could only scrape up enough for a Squier, I'd play the **** out of it and not be sad.

By the way, not technically a Strat, but my 1980 FenderLead II was $500 and is one helluva a guitar!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. Wayfinder

Wayfinder New Member!

This is possibly heresy, but my "best bang for the buck" Strat is the Bullet Strat ($129 new, $99 when on sale). Seems Fender has gotten better and better at producing reliable guitars, even on the low-cost end. I bought an aqua-blue Bullet Strat, replaced the white pick guard with a pearloid version, switched out the pickups, and honestly would pit both play-ability and sound against any Strat on the market. Even without the mods I put into it, I still think the cost of a Bullet Strat makes it a fine guitar purchase within the pocketbook of just about anyone. I've seen blind video comparisons of Bullet Strat vs full Strat... and every time people have trouble telling the difference. So for my money, Bullet Strat. That doesn't mean one shouldn't buy a nice ash-body full-bore Strat if you can afford it. Just means I think the Bullet is an awesome value.

My modded Bullet Strat shown below: FlatCat neck pickup, generic dual-rail mid pickup, generic heavy humbucker bridge pickup. Pearloid pick guard. Sound: fantastic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Andrew Wasson and javacody like this.
  8. onscenenow

onscenenow New Member!

SQ2a.JPG My 1990 Squier 2 Strat plays every bit good as any of my more expensive Strats or Les Pauls and you can still have one for under $200. I did replace the cheap pickups though.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Wayfinder likes this.
  9. rbanyaga

rbanyaga New Member!

10. McPiquet

McPiquet New Member!

I recently picked up a 95' Samick-built Squier Strat for £50 (UK). It has a great neck, proper big block trem and fender stamped steel saddles. It holds tune well and has the twin ceramic magnet pups that are in some MIM strats. I don't generally like ceramics but these sound pretty good. The body is 'laminated hardwood' which says ply to me but I don't see this as a problem - tone woods make a small difference to tone but it's hard to say whether ply is worse than mahogany, ash or alder, it's just different. It's the best bang for the buck guitar I've ever come across. The only annoying thing is that people selling them generally over price them, trying to pass them off as equivalent to early JV series squiers.

11. rbanyaga

rbanyaga New Member!

I picked up a used MIM FSR Players Stratocaster that has the 20db Mid-Boost (like an EC), TBX tone and vintage noiseless pup and atomic hb on GC online for $399! I just wanted an ash body and a maple neck. When it arrived I realized it had all these features (not mentioned in ad description) I was blown away! I love it, mega bang for your buck! I don’t know how much they went for new, but they were worth it! Pretty light, the neck has a slight v shape and vintage tint. I had to get used to having so much gain on tap, but other than changing the pick guard (to blk), this is my go to Stratocaster! Everything from glassy neck to full bore hb bridge! The 2 & 4 position offer a bit of quack not as much as my MIA Stratocaster but this guitar is so much louder, I feel I’m always am turned down to 6-7 and when vol and mid boost dimed esp in the bridge position it’s like kicking on a overdrive pedal! There’s a YT review of this model but it’s in German, but the playing is great.

Attached Files:

12. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member!

I'd agree. My 2002 green highway one is terrific to play. I've changed the tuners to locking types and added an aluminum plate under the pickguard and also locked down the trem. But the pickups are original.

13. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

For me, the Mexican strat with the spec you like best is generally gonna be the value leader, new or used. Some Squier stuff is an incredible value, but they just don’t have near as diverse a lineup, so if one of them hits your sweet-spot, that’s probably the answer, but there are so many more MIM to choose from, whether vintage inspired or modern. MIA is similar but just picks up where MIM leaves off in the pricing, so you could argue they’re slightly better guitars, but I’d argue not as good a value. MIM is cheaper new and doesn’t hold its value quite as well, so some incredible deals to be found used...

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Strat-Talker

for me, the best value in a strat (or tele) is the fender squier bullet, and more specifically the ones made in indonesia. these platforms are Solid, so playability (which is the number one requirement of all guitars) is just fine. if need be, sound/tone can be addressed with new electronics, and since i can, i do. i usually replace the tuners as well. when i find one i really like, i'll add a bone nut (not all that important) and perhaps do an L&C. removing the headstock label finishes the makeover ;) - the result will be a pro strat that's ready for stage or studio, promise. these specific models are only available via MF, and they almost always go on and off sale every week or two. you will not pay more than $130/shipped when on sale.

DSC03230.JPG

Wayfinder and brians like this.
  15. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

This....[​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

deve52 likes this.
  16. lefty alex

lefty alex Strat-Talker

80's Tokai GoldStar. then you're done.

17. deve52

deve52 Strat-Talk Member

Squier Classic Vibe Strats are nice.

18. deve52

deve52 Strat-Talk Member

Very nice! Very 70's/early 80's.

brians likes this.
  19. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Thanks, it's a 2009, best player I have. Pretty much stock paid $80

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

20. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Senior Stratmaster

Fender strat I’d go with the MIM Fender Lone Star deluxe
    Non-Fender, my Fenix E7 series ST10 strat is every bit as good as my Lone Star. I found that in a charity shop for £100! I can’t put it down!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    brians likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.