Join Strat-Talk Today

The Most Stratocaster For The Least Money Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by strick909, Apr 15, 2019.

1. edmartin54

edmartin54 Strat-Talk Member

My two great deals - '87 MIK Squier and 96 Fender American Standard. Paid $80 for the Squier and gig bag, $300 for the Fender and OHSC (red label). Both were estate sale finds.

strat1.jpg 20190503_114015.jpg

Vinnie1971 and brians like this.
  2. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talk Member

Any Eric Clapton model with Lace Sensor pickups that suits your pocket book.

3. Springloaded

Springloaded Strat-Talk Member

Thats a nice guitar!
    if I was looking for best value I would look for a first year(1997) Jimmy Vaughn signature MiM with Tex-Mex pickups rumour has it that the first ones had American series necks and bodies sent to Mexico for assembly I've seen them go for as low as $450.00 as for me imho I would pickup a 1989 Strat Plus as the prices seem to be falling atm.

4. Mike H

Mike H Strat-Talker

My choice is the Powerhouse Stratocaster. It's basically a MIM Eric Clapton Strat designed by Bill Turner.
    I see them from time to time for between $300 and $400. Do a search on this forum for "Powerhouse".

Here are the original specs:
    Model Name: Powerhouse Stratocaster®
    Model Number: 013-9500-(Color #) and 013-9502-(Color #)
    Series: Deluxe Series
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple, Modern “C” Shape, (Satin Urethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood (p/n 013-9500) or Maple (p/n 013-9502), 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1-11/16” (43 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender®/Ping® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
    Bridge: Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo
    Pickguard: 4-Ply White Pearloid
    Pickups: 3 Powerhouse Ultra-Quiet Single-Coil Strat® Pickups
    Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
    Position 3. Middle Pickup
    Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
    Position 5. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume,
    Tone 1. Master No-Load Tone Control,
    Tone 2. 12 dB Active Mid Boost Control
    Colors: (306) Black,
    (325) Chrome Red,
    (355) Blizzard Pearl,
    (359) Navy Blue Metallic,
    (381) Caramel Metallic,
    (Polyester Finish)
    Strings: Fender® Super Bullets® 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003
    Unique Features: Pearloid Pickguard,
    12 dB Active Mid-Boost Circuit,
    Dummy Coil Under the Pickguard for Hum Cancellation
    Source: Mexico
    Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag
    U.S. MSRP: $841.99 (Deluxe Fender Gig Bag Included)
    Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 1/1997

DISCONTINUED: 9/2008

5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Lots of pages. I think a mim standard is a great value.

6. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

My vote goes for a used Jimmy Vaughn or the Classic Player line.

Then again there are a crap ton of used 10-20 year old USA standards out there that are great buys and great guitars.

7. Springloaded

Springloaded Strat-Talk Member

I posted earlier that a 1997 Jimmy Vaughn model is a nice bet (there's one on reverb atm for $499.00) but if your lucky you can score one with a neck that looks like this photo notice

[​IMG]

the MSN6 serial number indicates that this is an American Standard neck shipped to mexico with bodies for finishing and assembly the flame is a dead giveaway. Here's a link to the whole story https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-fender-tex-mex-strat-1996-to-1997.html This one is currently listed for eight hundred because of upgrades and the seller knows what he's got I wouldn't buy it as you can get used American standards all day for $650 to $800 and sometimes lower but information is power so if you find one on the cheap grab it imho.

8. rich724

rich724 Strat-Talker

What I did with my Tele is find one whose finish I liked then upgraded it over time. That Tele is now complete with a neck with an ebony fretboard, SD pups, locking tuners, CTS pots, MOP inlays and it will never be replaced. All for less than$700.

9. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

my dollars would personally go to a MIM IF you like the ceramic pups that they come with. I've seen used MIM standards for $350 to 400 but you have to look. If you don't want to go that route I'd personally look for an old American Standard which I've seen for $650 lowest price. I've rarely seen them below that price unless your buying privately.

10. bf1024

bf1024 New Member!

I've had several 70's strats from 1972-1980,Had a black one, a sunburst one and a natural ash, all with maple boards...all played great, all cost less than 400 bucks back then. (Forget buying any of them today, you couldn't afford one. I bought a 2018 brand new American Performer Strat (the one in my avatar). .Paid $1099 + tax. The electronics are superior to my 70's strats, it has a 9.5 radius fret board that never frets out on extreme bends, stays in tune after a dive, has a pot switch that will engage the neck pup no matter what other pups are active (which has a unique tone in itself). My 70's all had a 7.5 rad board ,extremely low action and you could fret them out on a deep bend. So, to answer this thread, I vote for my new one...I've played mexican ones and they are not as carefully crafted as mine is. I could feel the frets at the edge of the neck. SPEND the $1100, that's in my opinion is the least money you can spent for the most strat you can get....unless of course you find an American 70's strat for 400 bucks then buy it....but it will probably be a fake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.